The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Sweet. I feel the pull to learn modeling.

Ase Exporter ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

A teaser for the next module set I'm working on:

Damn that would go perfectly for the docks area im building! Could you post it in here or pm me it once you are finished? I would really appreciate it!

Yes I feel like this is the start of a bold new look that people are going to immediately take notice of and it'll push FMs to a higher level of respect.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Glad you like them! I'm pretty happy with how these are turning out. :)

Is the module of the right size that we can place your indoor wall & stair models inside...?

More or less...it's based on the same 128 grid pattern. The timber01 set is not quite as precise because you need upper floors to jut out over lower ones, but there are "spacers" (or "glue" pieces, as the Skyrim team called them) that allow the mapper some wiggle room in placing their pieces by hiding uneven seams and corners.

I'm designing these modules for use in a team project the developers are working on at the moment, but they'll all be released in 2.04.

This inspired me to look into the set pieces for Skyrim, Dishonored, Thief, and Assassin's Creed, as well as the sets you find on the Unity market, which has one for dungeons, sewers, caves, and haunted manors... And a lot of these are modular. I'd like to contribute something too, but even little pieces look like quite a slog!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

his inspired me to look into the set pieces for Skyrim, Dishonored, Thief, and Assassin's Creed,

If you find good images of those pieces, I'd be interested in links. Studying screenshots of the maps themselves is sometimes hard to parse.

I'm designing these modules for use in a team project the developers are working on at the moment, but they'll all be released in 2.04.

Fantastic! Looks like we have some good stuff to look forward to in the TDM world :)

General question for mappers--when you're eventually using these pieces, how would you prefer to have them organized? Right now I've made a "modules" folder in models/architecture, with different sub-folders for the different sets. However, if I make a specific door-frame to fit into a module set, would you rather see that in the Module folder, or in the "doorframe" folder?

How would you prefer to have them organized? Right now I've made a "modules" folder in models/architecture, with different sub-folders for the different sets. However, if I make a specific door-frame to fit into a module set, would you rather see that in the Module folder, or in the "doorframe" folder?

IMHO, I reckon you should use the existing directory structure. As you have mentioned models/architecture, place the stairs module under stairs, the building section under Building facades, doors under dooors etc, etc. And for modules that dont have a section eg the walls, create a new section etc.

If these are models why not have them under their respective places as Bikerdude suggested however for a whole set you could create their own prefab. That way if someone is looking for just a part it's easy to find it and if they want the whole thing ready to go that's also easy to find in the prefabs section.

• Like 2

They are basically pieces of architecture, so... models/architecture/modules is sensible. Doorframes should go into the doorframes folder, though, since preferably, they would be of standard height and width. Etc.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I can see it both ways, but I'd vote keeping things together under modules if they come together as sets.

As for modular sets, you're right , I was mainly looking at game screenshots. The only places that widely display prefabs as such are the unity sets in unity's asset store and sometimes modding groups. Do a search for various unity architecture sets, dungeon, mansion, town, medieval, fantasy, gothic, baroque, roccoco, etc.

Like:

https://d2ujflorbtfzji.cloudfront.net/package-screenshot/fc3ce780-9e9e-47d9-8f3c-8feb2b59beb7_scaled.jpg