The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

What are spawnArgs exactly? Are they another kind of keyval added to an entity?

This sounds a little more involved than a standard Property Editor, maybe a separate GUI will be required. Would this be more or less of a priority than a proper model selector with preview, which is what I intended to start working on once the 0.5 bugs are ironed out?

"spawnArgs" are just another way to refer to the key/value pairs on the entity, nothing complicated. It would just set key/values pretty much, but with some automation so the player doesn't have to increment them for multiple stims/responses, type in the name of each one and remember the stim type enum->integer mapping.

This sounds a little more involved than a standard Property Editor, maybe a separate GUI will be required. Would this be more or less of a priority than a proper model selector with preview, which is what I intended to start working on once the 0.5 bugs are ironed out?

You can currently do it all through the Doom3Ed entity inspector, but having a separate Stim Response inspector would be best. I'm not 100% sure on the terminology but I think they are just another keyval that is added to the entity. I'm not sure how involved it would be, but you could probably have another tab on the bottom of the current entity inspector window, right before Textures. :)

As for priority, yeah, I would likely place it above the model viewer to be honest. You can still use the models effectively without the viewer, but without a proper gui for stim response, it's going to be a real headache to try and figure out. You'll have to work closely with Spar and Isht to figure out the best way to do it.

OK, so they are just normal properties.

The mapping of enum->integer is easy, I can code up a Property Editor which allows a list of number/string mappings to be defined in the XML file and selected from a dropdown. The multiple thing is something I completely forgot about when writing the Entity Inspector, assuming that there would only be a single instance of each property so "property1", "property2" etc are not handled. I think the best way of handling this without too much recoding would be to add an extra layer of expandable tree below the properties themselves (check the DarkRadiant screenshots for what I'm referring to), so you would have:

+ Stim/Response
|
|-- + stimkey_something
|   |-- 1	 value
|   |-- 2	 value
|
|-- + stimkey_somethingelse
|-- 1	 value
|-- 2	 value

There may still be a use for a separate dialog though, rather than exclusively using the Entity Inspector (even if ours is a lot better than D3Radiant's).

A stim/response editor dialog should list the stims available and the corresponding responses. You would have to select two entities for this to make sense, because usually you are creating on entity that has the stim, and another one that has the required response.

Example: Water arrow with the water stim and the torch with the water response.

The dialog would be most helpfull if it maps corresponding stim/responses, so that the mapper can immediately see that a given entity has the corresponding S or R.

Note that not all entities must match on all accounts. So one entity can have three different responses while the three corresponding stims are spread one per entity on each one.

Example: A vase can be destroyed by fire and by water as well as by physical damage but the sword would certainly have no water or fire stim while the fire arrow would carry a fire stim but no water stim.

Gerhard

Well, lets suppose you already have lots of stuff that responds to fire, and all you want to do is create a new item, a tinderbox that sends out a fire stim. You would only have to select this one item and add the stim since the other stuff will be set up to respond to fire already. Or suppose you create a gas mine, again you only have to select one item and add the stim, since the AI already respond to knockout gas. I think most cases will be like this.

This is some graphical stuff I missed in DromEd. I don't know what Radiant already can do, so ignore anything that's already there or doesn't apply. Also, low priority.

- Radii for stim/recepts can be displayed in the editor (should be a toggle)

- Patrol Paths are displayed when clicking a waypoint

- Maximal frob range (including leaning) can be displayed

I don't know if you would necessarily have to select two entities at once. Wouldn't it still make sense to add a stim one entity and then later on add a response on another entity? Other than that everything sounds good.

I have to agree on that count - Sparhawk's suggestion sounds more appropriate for a property which makes a link between two specific objects (such as target) but my understanding of Stim is that it is a generic broadcast/reception system that does not involve links between individual pairs of objects.

- Patrol Paths are displayed when clicking a waypoint

This already seems to work actually, since the paths use "target" which displays a connecting arrow in the 2D view.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one thing I just remembered which would definitely be usefull to have sometime.

A configuration for defining the colours of all kind fo things in the editor. For example, when you draw a brush, then the new brush is highlighted in red. However I'm colourblind so the red colour with that thin line is VERY hard for me to make out. Considering that every second man has a red/green colourblindness this would be very helpfull for a lot of people to be able to change it.

Gerhard

There is one thing I just remembered which would definitely be usefull to have sometime.

A configuration for defining the colours of all kind fo things in the editor. For example, when you draw a brush, then the new brush is highlighted in red. However I'm colourblind so the red colour with that thin line is VERY hard for me to make out. Considering that every second man has a red/green colourblindness this would be very helpfull for a lot of people to be able to change it.

You can already change that in 'misc/colors' in Dark Radiant, you have to restart Dark Radiant after changing the color.

How about: visual representation (as with lights) of radius for speakers? :)

Good idea, DoomEdit does this.

One thing I would like to do with light radii is provide an option to overlay the light texture onto the light radius in the 2D view, so that it would be easier to see which parts of the radius are actually lit.

Hmmmm, I think I already mentioned this, but we need a color picker for changing the lights.

Can we essentially copy the one that already exists for changing default color of the brushes in the editing view?

Yes, that's a GtkColorSelection. There is a need for a dedicated Property Editor to provide this interface for adjusting _color keys.

Don't know how possible this is, but it would be nice if there was an easier way to tell if a certain object had other skins to choose from as you're selecting it. Right now you have to place the object first, then open the skins window (which takes about 30 seconds to load on my machine) just to see if there are any matching skins. I'm seeing mostly default skins in maps so far, probably because people don't know there are alternates.

Would it be possible to work a matching skins list right into the model browsing window? Ideally it would be great to be able to browse skins for models before placing them on the map, but just being able to see that alternate skins are available would be helpful.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to work a matching skins list right into the model browsing window? Ideally it would be great to be able to browse skins for models before placing them on the map, but just being able to see that alternate skins are available would be helpful.

That is a planned feature for the much-needed model browser interface. I might integrate this into the tree view, so that a model with skins could be opened up to have alternative skins displayed as its children.

Btw, the objectives system is still a WIP, but pretty soon we could benefit from some kind of GUI to set up objectives, since the key/values are rather complicated to remember, and some combinations of options won't do anything useful, so ideally they would be grayed out in the GUI.

I'll post all the objective key/vals and what they do in the documentation forum when the system is closer to done.