The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I know it may sound silly but I am no programmer or script writer but

I would really like an IMPORT MEDIA WIZARD that would help us get media into our maps and later into the maps packages. zip.

One for models. It walks you through. PLEASE SELCT THE MODEL MESH YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO YOUR MODEL INVENTORY. Then it asks you to BROWSE for the TGA files for the various parts to the skin. It then copies the files and creates the proper material entree or files. And adds the new model to the correct model folder.

A wizard for textures would ask you for the color map and the normal map and the spec map. ask you what the textures name is . Ask you what folder or martial group it belongs too. Then copies the tga files to the correct folder and creates a entry in the mat file or creates the mat file whatever.

You could make have the wizard put all proper files into the proper folders and use the standard you design.

A wizard would help lead a person threw the process of getting models ase lwo md5 into the proper directories. It would help prevent messing up material files.

It could also help organize and rename or reorganize or replace media of any type you wanted to include.

This would be useful to me at least because I am unskilled.

Maybe it’s a WIZARD / Media MANAGER.

• 2 weeks later...
I've started using Darkradiant alongside D3ed. Here's what I wish for:

Media browser,

Faster render, so that flipping from camera to render view doesn't take 5 seconds.

Both on the known issue list. Media browser is on the list of tasks to be addressed soon, the poor rendering performance will require some more investigation.

This request isn't a high priority, but is definitely something I would love to see as a standard feature of the editor. Right click 'rollup' of the editor windows. :) It can be achieved with a small app called 'winroll' but I think it would be much better to provide the functionality 'inhouse'. Why? I find it just makes the whole editing experience that much more enjoyable. I used it all the time in T3ED, but Doom3ED wouldn't work with Winroll...so I had to hack Doom3ED to allow the entity inspector to be minimized instead. Here is an example pic of what I mean.

post-3-1157152599_thumb.jpg

I know windows can just be minimized, or closed...but this is quite slick and is similar to how menus are handled in Photoshop / Illustrator. Basically, right clicking on the top bar of the window rolls it up.

I just wanted to add another wish of mine; better texturing capabilities. D3ed's texturing drives me nuts. For example, if you scale a texture, it scales it around the world origin, which is usually very inconvenient. It'd be very useful if you could choose where the centerpoint to scale around was. Also the align to top/bottom/left/right features from Hammer are sorely missed by me. Another thing that I can't seem to find is the ability to project one brush face onto another. (except that you can project a brush face onto a patchmesh) And finally, some kind of "wrap" feature would be nice. Something like, select the face you want to texture, then ctrl/alt/whatever+middle-click another face, and your selected face will be textured so that the two faces share the same texturing along the intersection of their planes) Also, a rotate to line up with edge feature would be great for texturing beams that are diagonal on all 3 axiis.

Another thing that I can't seem to find is the ability to project one brush face onto another. (except that you can project a brush face onto a patchmesh)

You can copy a brush face texture onto other brush faces by Ctrl-Shift-MMB (you have to copy the face texture beforehand). Or did you mean something different?

What I really miss is D3Ed's feature for copying brush face textures onto a patch (the MMB feature in D3Ed). I could not find any function like this in DarkRadiant, which is my main reason for switching between D3Ed and DarkRadiant at the moment. But I could imagine, that this would be a feature hard to implement.

@Greebo: No, that just copies the texture/size/etc. This picture should illustrate what I'd like to be able to do:

post-244-1157182522_thumb.jpg

I don't think doing that for patch meshes would be that hard... just a little bit of trig and linear algebra; You project the vertices of the patch mesh onto the plane of the face, then copy the s/t values at those points.

Hey Orb, I think a really useful feature would be the ability to export to LWO. D3Ed supports to obj but it does not keep the materials unless all the brushes have the same material. Dunno if specifically this format is possible or ase or something rather but it definately would be very useful.

Just an idea

It certainly sounds possible to do, but I'm wary of feature creep. It also seems like it would be a fair bit of work, unless there's some existing code we can pinch from somewhere and integrate fairly easily.

Why do you want it, anyway? Surely it would be better to create Lightwave files in, well, Lightwave.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I agree, the cost/benefit ratio seems too low. The advantage of OBJ is that it can be imported into almost anything, and does not require writing to a complex binary format that only really works in one application.

That said, we don't actually have OBJ export at all at the moment, which is certainly a feature that would be useful to add.

Yeah true - LWO might be a bit time consuming to add export support for. Hmm, can OBJs actually have more then one material? Doom3 only exports it with one.

@Crispy: Yeah that's true, but there are a lot of cases where you make a basic layout in the editor, export it and then import it into LW or whatever and make a prop that fits the needed size. Also I make some of the props in the editor and then export them to add fine details such as thin railings or whatnot - like I did with the wheel lock.

Anyways, thanks guys for working on it - it's quite convenient to have D3 opened in a window and edit the map in DR, bsp it and then just reload it in d3.

Also: Will your render be more accurate than the D3ed one, which bugs as soon as there is a lot of stuff in the map?

Using my clairvoyant powers, I can look in the future and reveal... hmm. Darn, my crystal ball needs fixing. ;)

It's waaay too early to be making any promises about anything. :) Heck, I might not even get to it this decade. We'll see.

Hmm, can OBJs actually have more then one material? Doom3 only exports it with one.

I've never worked with it before so I don't know, but these pages make it sound like it's possible. It might need to export some extra stuff besides just the OBJ file though. What's this MTL file, does anything support it?

http://www.fileformat.info/format/wavefrontobj/

http://www.fileformat.info/format/material/index.htm

@Crispy: Yeah that's true, but there are a lot of cases where you make a basic layout in the editor, export it and then import it into LW or whatever and make a prop that fits the needed size. Also I make some of the props in the editor and then export them to add fine details such as thin railings or whatnot - like I did with the wheel lock.

True, I can see how that would be useful.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

This is all so cool :)

ok Wishlist:

Another question. What is the height of the mantle limit, and will he be able to jump mantle? If so, whats

that height? Also, whats his jump height?

Secondly, for Dark Radiant. Could you add the ability to use a bounding box to select verts in patches? That entry above would not be possible without that feature (it was done in GTK 1.4). I'm sure you can see the advantages. In the same vien, a wish would be, that I could toggle off the verts on the far side (half) in cam view so it makes it easier to manipulate without accidently altering those on the other side. Also, could you please give it the ability to select faces akin to GTK 1.4. In 1.5, it takes twice as many clicks to texture multiple faces as it did in 1.4. More clicks=more time. Be cool if the first n last of those suggestions were aadded. I think this was added before, but colour the patch verts, as in radiant, so the key verts are different to the minor ones.

Another of my wishlists for DR is:

A good entity viewer, that gives a discription on the use of an entity. There are so many, and so many ways to use them, its impossible to keep it all in memory.

Love the idea of a model viewer, and alternate skin viewer. How about a shader viewer? (ie so you can quickly see the effect of a shader change on a texture) a Q3 tool had this. Also a map packer. (prob too much to ask with those two extra add-ons.

I think thats all for now... :)

Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Secondly, for Dark Radiant. Could you add the ability to use a bounding box to select verts in patches? That entry above would not be possible without that feature (it was done in GTK 1.4). I'm sure you can see the advantages.
While I don't contest that it would be useful, I think it's likely an exageration to say that it wouldn't have been possible without such a feature... don't forget about being able to select vertices in the 3D view.

A good entity viewer, that gives a discription on the use of an entity. There are so many, and so many ways to use them, its impossible to keep it all in memory.
Yeah, that's a very useful feature of D3ed.

While I don't contest that it would be useful, I think it's likely an exageration to say that it wouldn't have been possible without such a feature... don't forget about being able to select vertices in the 3D view.

I first did it without using the bounding box (didn't know of it lol) and allthough I could make it, I couldn't get rid of the sparklies. The bounding box allowed it to be made again from scratch in an hour without sparklies. Thats what I meant by impossible (in terms of time efficiency).

:)

Ven

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...

After using it for awhile, there is one thing I think needs doing fairly soon. Thats multiple face texturing. Its a pain when having to put the same texture with axis on multiple faces and have to do it one by one. I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to mention it.

Other than that, I'm very impressed with the editor so far. Except, the autosave doesn't work (found out the hard way :( )

Venus

After using it for awhile, there is one thing I think needs doing fairly soon. Thats multiple face texturing. Its a pain when having to put the same texture with axis on multiple faces and have to do it one by one. I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to mention it.

By multiple face texturing, do you just mean selecting more than one wall..or surface and applying the same texture to it? If so, you do that by holding down the shift key. I'm no expert when it comes to mapping, so perhaps I'm talking about something completely different.

By multiple face texturing, do you just mean selecting more than one wall..or surface and applying the same texture to it? If so, you do that by holding down the shift key. I'm no expert when it comes to mapping, so perhaps I'm talking about something completely different.

No, that just selects one face for texturing. In DR, you hold down ctrl-alt

Actually, I just found out you can do it. Its actually Hold down Shift-Ctrl, and you can multiple texture. Cool :D

I was just using Shift-Ctrl-Alt for texturing. Excellent, that'll speed things up :)

Ven

Do you mean so the textures align properly? Or just texturing more than 1 face at a time?

No, I meant u could texture multiple faces. Found it now :)

V