The Dark Mod Forums

Pagan Village Scene

Darkness_Falls

:) Yes, I give you full credit, Domarius, for teaching me the power of dodge. It really helps me visually communicate what I want. A few things to note:

* Each yellow lght is a pagan orb on a stick, rather than torches; in case you were wondering about their shape.

* Roots grow down from the eves of the huts. Maybe the pagans plant some sort of weird plant seeds under the eves which cause this, to decorate their huts. (This is what I was thinking). It was a way for me to add character to the huts.

* These people are going around etching weird symbols in the ground, for whatever reason. The symbols permanently glow red... well, at least for 12 hours or something (which we'd never see the end of in the game.)

* On the one hand, the symbols could be village members trying to protect from evil or something. On the other, maybe they are some faction/group that has killed off the pagans and this is how they mark their territory. Or, it could be some sort of pagan ritual. The magical fire in the middle re-loads their stick with writing magical goodness.

Dodge and burn was pretty much presented to me as the most basic and effective way to add shading to simple sketches.

Most artists I've talked to seriously recommend not using dodge and burn. Real shadows and hilights aren't just darker or brighter versions of the same colour--they have colours of their own.

If you have the time and energy to hand-draw perfectly colored shadows and highlights, feel free. But Fingernail's right that it is a basic and effective way of doing them. I spent like 3 minutes dodging/burning your tavern. Obviously this is a crude dodge/burn example, but you're only limited by how much time you want to (or don't want to) invest in the process. I feel it's an amazing tool, personally. The life and energy of my drawings don't come out until I dodge/burn...

springheel_tavern.jpg

Most artists I've talked to seriously recommend not using dodge and burn. Real shadows and hilights aren't just darker or brighter versions of the same colour--they have colours of their own.

True, like I said, it's simple and effective.

It does enhance the contrast which is sometimes also stylistically preferable, if you're going for a sort of hyper-realism where everything is very vivid.

I feel it's an amazing tool, personally. The life and energy of my drawings don't come out until I dodge/burn...

Well, as Fingernail says, it's useful for quick and dirty sketches. But I would recommend not getting reliant on it if you're interested in doing serious digital painting.

Nice concept though...a very spooky pagan area.

I can almost guarantee Alexius uses dodge/burn, and I wouldn't consider his stuff quick and dirty. Pretty serious stuff... http://www.3dexcellence.com/articlevitaly.html

Every artist is different, so it just depends on what you're looking for, too.

I'd be very surprised if someone with classic oil painting experience relied on burning and dodging, but I'd love to find out. I had no idea from looking at the Hammerite Imperium concepts that he was such a talented artist.

I had no idea from looking at the Hammerite Imperium concepts that he was such a talented artist.

Yeah, some pretty crazy cool stuff: http://alexiuss.deviantart.com/gallery/. I usually get anxious to finish my drawings, so never have the patience or tenacity to get that detailed with them.

dodge...burn...gah

You don't like dodge/burn?

You don't like dodge/burn?

Nonono, It's just funny names for tools :)

When Dom said use the dodge tool in reference to TDM I thought he was making a joke like dodge the T3 stuff type thing...then it turns out to be an actual tool LOL