The Dark Mod Forums

Bioshock

Arumakani

Oh, really? I didn't see it. Darn site is so cluttered. :/

(And yes, I'm bitter. Every encounter I've had with IGN has been negative.)

You guys really reckon if Levine and co did Thief sequels they would've been awesome?

I think Irrational is one of the few game companies around these days that I know of that would be capable of making a truly great Thief game. Them, and these Dark Mod folk that I'm privileged to be assisting. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I got the impression it was something in between. It's not the absolute latest build because, e.g., Ken's already said the HUD's been somewhat tweaked from what we see here. But I think the article can be at least right in saying that it's not *exactly* the E3 build, either.

It's a later build that was rigged up (and deemed good enough) probably specifically for public release. But they've done work since then, which probably improves things but maybe isn't as "clean" to release publicly.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Just watched it. *chills* :) Good to see Irrational back into things I'm interested in (I'm not a Tribes player, nor into superheroes <_<).

That said:

-Not a big fan of that hud - let's not have another "why on earth did they use pencil drawings for portraits?" type of decision. Get rid of the fugly colors and odd shape and go with something sleek and unobtrusive. A minor gripe, though. Though I disliked the SS2 portraits, I loved the hud.

-I'd hope they have different skins planned for the little girls and other humanoids, as seeing the same one over and over would kill the whole believability they've built up.

-Movement speed seems annoyingly slow

-Graphics and detail levels look great

-Emotional impact has strong potential; I like little touches like having the frail little girls cough from illness, helps tug your emotional strings and challenge your decisions.

-The water rocks

-It's undeniably interesting and compelling.

In short, holy shit. :wub:

I hope Ken’s not just blowing hot air when he says the game will redefined FPS by getting rid of linearity, poor AI and static environments. I think we’ve heard that promise all before many times.

I like the concept of NPC interactions among each other, and how you can manipulate that to achieve your ends, shows promise. We’ve seen enemies attack each other as far back as Doom, but to actually plan around that will hopefully offer a refreshing experience. I’m assuming that from how easily the little sister dies in combat that they respawn, and the Big Daddy’s roam Rapture on their own looking for little sisters hibernating in their vents, and call them to collect adam.

The little kids voice is creepy but normal, and her listless reaction to her duty seems to derive from a lack of the moral upbringing we’re used to.

The standard movement speed felt like a walk, at least I hope it is, as it was ass-slow. The HUD felt just a little too oversized for a PC version. Hopefully they will rescale it specifically for PC (this was Xbox360 build).

The security stations and cameras are definitely a touch from System Shock. The art style, the ambient record music from the 40’s, the exceptional water effects, plus the environment blended well together. I was reminded a bit of Stubbs the Zombie B)

So how many of you will be upgrading your sexual organs first?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

They've released another trailer for Bioshock and it's looking very good:

ms.groovygecko.net/groovyg/clients/xbox/xbox_hb.wmv?wmcache=0

It's about 37 minutes in (right after the also very good looking Assassin's Creed demo, which is entirely in-game).

for the ttlg thread on this:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?...447#post1506447

The Bioshock movie is prerendered, so you know; I'm not sure how much of it will make it in-game. But it's awesome nonetheless.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 9 years later...

For the power of Internet Necromancy I resurrect this 10 years old thread :D

Remastered version out! It's free for all owners of Bioshock and Bioshock 2.

Eventually BS1 got good models for NPCs (BS2 ones?) :P and a D3D11 engine implementation.

BioShock 2 too with Minerva's Den (and I really really love it, best little expansion ever :ph34r: )

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Some interesting stuff:

*there's an OpenAL sound rendering path, optional and buried in the config file. Default is FMOD. NOT WORKING

*console options show a "UltraHigh" possible setting for TextureDetailLightmap when PC is set to Normal (got to test in-game)

*D3D9/10/11 rendering path! WOW

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

BioShock 2 is remastered too but.....it's hard to tell the difference between the original one and the remastered one :P

But hey, D3D11 upgrade for the engine.

Now Bioshock trilogy is future proof.

Edited by lowenz

BioShock 2 is remastered too but.....it's hard to tell the difference between the original one and the remastered one :P

But hey, D3D11 upgrade for the engine.

Now Bioshock trilogy is future proof.

EDIT: I think it is this section in the ini (no "11" but that's it)

[bioDrv.BioRenderDevice]
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
DoubleBufferMouseLag=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseVSync=True
LevelOfAnisotropy=16
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
BatchRenderFlash=True
UseShaderConstantChecking=False
OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
AvoidHitches=False
UseHighDetailShadowMaps=True
UseLinearSpace=True
Use8bitBackBuffer=False
Use8bitOpacity=False
Edited by lowenz

EDIT: I think it is this section in the ini (no "11" but that's it)

[bioDrv.BioRenderDevice]
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
DoubleBufferMouseLag=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseVSync=True
LevelOfAnisotropy=16
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
BatchRenderFlash=True
UseShaderConstantChecking=False
OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
AvoidHitches=False
UseHighDetailShadowMaps=True
UseLinearSpace=True
Use8bitBackBuffer=False
Use8bitOpacity=False

Did you already test if some of those are actually working? I was really looking forward to play this game again, but some things (glitched shadows, many crashes, deleted savegames) sound bad to me... Hopefully those issues will be patched soon, one of the best video games ever deserves better than this.

Edited by Cookie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm playing Bioshock 1 Remastered at the moment, and, after initially not being too impressed with it, when I tried it out some years ago, I'm absolutely stoked on it now... nice, nice game, and very closely resembles System Shock 2 for me. Dunno why I didn't like it back then, big misjudgment. :)

Alongside Prey, probably one of the 2 or 3 best games I've played from the last 10 years.

• Like 1