The Dark Mod Forums

Remakes Of 1,2 And 3

DopeFishhh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people so obsessed with remaking Thief? There is a whole world of possibilities for creative level design and storytelling, and all anyone wants to do is rehash some old storyline that everybody knows backwards anyway and wasn't all that original in the first place.

... do they climb ledges?)

Nope, far too much work to accomplish when there is so many of the basic core features to finish...and then you have to be able to balance the gameplay against any new abilities you give the AI. We talked about it two years ago, but wisely decided against it.

Well, even the ones that reach as high as their belt? I can totally understand that it would be hard for a guard to climb up a ledge with all that armour, but the lower ones should be easily climb-able... by placing a node point at the ledge? What about animations tho'? Can you make for example the hands reach up to a specific level, or does that need to be pre-animated?

What about jumping off low ledges then? Aw crap, that could allow the player to lure NPCs into places they couldn't leave if ledge climbing is not there.

Tough luck.

Edited by mike mayday

I'm sure a few folks will try to do a remake of thier favourite mission here and there, but the whole games will almost certainly never be remade.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

A bit of a pity. Especially when Doom gets a remake. Great games like Thief and Deus Ex could make use of better engines aswell as improving level design etc.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

A bit of a pity. Especially when Doom gets a remake. Great games like Thief and Deus Ex could make use of better engines aswell as improving level design etc.

Doom didn't actually get a remake, it got a sequel.

A "remake" would be copying the entire map set and storyline into a new engine, which in my view would be very boring.

Doom didn't actually get a remake, it got a sequel.

A "remake" would be copying the entire map set and storyline into a new engine, which in my view would be very boring.

I thought ID said that Doom3 was basically a remake of the original Doom ?

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

You make it sound like the task is remotely easy to do.

It's just a theory, but I have a feeling that after the intial 400 members: any new member that lands a three in the last digit of their member number is naive. Oh the joy of meeting member 473 of you bunch.

Edited by Ombrenuit

You make it sound like the task is remotely easy to do.

It's just a theory, but I have a feeling that after the intial 400 members: any new member that lands a three in the last digit of their member number is naive. Oh the joy of meeting member 473 of you bunch.

Just a theory too, anyone with the member number 112 is a smug, condescending, d*ckhead :D

BTW, ZB the British press were writing along the lines that it was basically a remake of the original Doom, in premise anyway. I'll try and find an article.

Edited by Arumakani

BTW, ZB the British press were writing along the lines that it was basically a remake of the original Doom, in premise anyway. I'll try and find an article.

They may well have been writing that, but that doesn't change the fact that Doom 3 is demonstrably not a remake of the original, taking place in a different setting, with a different storyline and different characters. It is no more a remake of the original Doom than The Empire Strikes Back is a remake of Return of the Jedi.

Maybe, however they may have been referring to the same brand of crap, repetitive gameplay that the Doom series is famous for. As a show for their game engine, it's brilliant, but as a game it leaves a lot to be desired.

Just out of curiousity, who was that refering to? I would assume you were responding in kind to Ombrenuit, but his/her member number is 112.

:D:D I was looking at his posts :D:D Thanks for pointing it out. Changed it now. Could've been a bit embarassing for me and 107...

Maybe, however they may have been referring to the same brand of crap, repetitive gameplay that the Doom series is famous for.

Oh go freg yourself. The original Doom's gameplay was fantastic. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have spawned an entire industry of imitators.

Doom 3, however, does not play anything like classic Doom. The original Doom threw you up against dozens of enemies in large well-lit rooms. D3 pits the player against at most a handful of monsters in dark, cramped environments. It's a completely different feel.

Yeah. The only thing that stayed the same is the artwork. I liked to play Doom for months and it was great fun, but with Doom 3 I couldn't go farther then the first few levels. And if I weren't using the engine for this mod, then I wouldn't have forced myself to play it through at least in god mode. Never needed to do this for the original Doom and Doom ][.

Gerhard

Oh go freg yourself.

No thanks, I have a girlfriend. No need for self gratification.

Doom 3, however, does not play anything like classic Doom. The original Doom threw you up against dozens of enemies in large well-lit rooms. D3 pits the player against at most a handful of monsters in dark, cramped environments. It's a completely different feel.

As for the original Doom's gameplay, fair enough, as many people bought it and enjoyed it thus causing other companies to produce stuff similar to it. It doesn't take away the fact that gameplay for FPS has evolved from there, i.e. Halo, Half life and Far Cry, and that Doom3 is a boring, repetitive hark back to, boring repetitive style of gameplay, regardless if the number of enemies attacking you at once, or whatever has dwindled. Let's walk into a room and woah, a few seconds/paces later someone spawns behind. Whoopee, brilliant :rolleyes: