The Dark Mod Forums

Good Security Freeware

Maximius

Ive found some good security resources if anyones interested. The first two are Tor and Privoxy, Tors a proxy server network and Privoxy is a spyware/adware/security thingy. Heres an article:

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/intern...nymous_surf.htm

Their website is easy to Google.

Heres another site with good freeware:

http://www.thefreesite.com/Anonymous_Freebies/

This page has a program that tests your computers security levels against hackers,spyware, and viruses.

Minor nit: open source != freeware.

Tor seems good but the problem is it is prohibitively slow for many things, due to the requirement for your traffic to pass through an encrypted tunnel of 3 randomly-selected international servers before it reaches you.

Minor nit: open source != freeware.

Tor seems good but the problem is it is prohibitively slow for many things, due to the requirement for your traffic to pass through an encrypted tunnel of 3 randomly-selected international servers before it reaches you.

Its reduced my DSL connection speed by 10Xs. <_< I turn it off to download stuff but for surfing Id rather have it on.

Im sorry, did I misuse the term freeware? Im new to the lingo.

Im sorry, did I misuse the term freeware? Im new to the lingo.

Freeware usually refers to the sort of small, freebie software applications you get on magazine coverdisks. It is typically written by one person and is not available under an open-source licence, although the binary is distributed without charge.

FOSS (Free/Open Source Software) is available under an open-source licence whereby the users are granted the right to modify and distribute the software at will. Free Software has the added restriction that users are not allowed to make proprietary, closed-source derivatives of the original software, whereas some Open Source licences (such as the BSD licence) do allow this.

• 2 weeks later...
Why do you want to anonymise? I have a good antivirus, aswell as ewido antimalware, windows defender, and CCleaner too.

The anonymiser and the privoxy spyguard work together somehow, I dont think one runs without the other. I assumed its a good thing to have on anyway. Id be interested if you know more about this stuff though.

Edited by Maximius

The anonymiser and the privoxy spyguard work together somehow, I dont think one runs without the other. I assumed its a good thing to have on anyway. Id be interested if you know more about this stuff though.

I get most of my freeware from here buddy. Check the stuff out:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"