The Dark Mod Forums

Online Lightwave Resources?

Maximius

I don't know whether it's available for the free video tutorials from: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_dl_tr.php

Scroll down.

The forums may help there too.

These may be of some use: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/

Edited by Arumakani

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Thanks, Ill check em out!

Update: I found this website, it has a number of Lightwave tutorials, probably old but they will help. Requires registration to access them, they are under the heading "Box of Stuff" in the free tutorial section.

Edited by Maximius

I'm doing UV Mapping myself. I've found this to be a fairly nifty set of tutorials to help you learn how to do it.

It provides the models and textures so you can jump directly into mapping, and it gives you a good idea on how to make your own textures for UVing.

This will be very handy, thanks!

• 3 months later...
im not speaking officially of course but I think that blender is too low poly for most of TDMs needs.

Bumping an oldish thread but... can anyone expand on this? I've just downloaded blender (and ran through a few tutorials, I like it!) and was hoping to create nice normal maps for world textures with it, and possibly have a god at some simple ornaments. Am i waisting my time by learning this software?

Well, the one tutrial I had still didn't really help but I've just found another - http://wiki.blendercn.org/index.php/Manual...and_Normal_Maps

I've followed it through and created a nice looking normal map from it so, it gives me something to work with at least :)

For some reason the page is all messed up though...

"The first texture uses Map Input (X, -, -), Color Red (1, 0, 0), Blending Mode Mix (X-coordinate).

第一个纹理使用映射输入(X, -, -),红色(1, 0, 0),混合模式混合 (X坐标)"

etc... anyone know what's up with that? I don't wanna miss any important stuff.

Also, I've read that, because of the way Doom3 works with them, it's important to optimise the blue channel.

The third textures uses Map Input (Z, -, -), ofsX (-0.5), sizeX (2.0), Color Blue (0, 0, 1), Blending Mode Add (Z-coordinate).

Is the offset and size differentation here relating to that?

I noticed a lot of Darkmod textures don't seem to have normal maps so I'm going to get playing with some with them and try and come up with something useful :) If any of the full members have anything specific that they would like me to work on please feel free to PM me.

You also have to make sure that your green light comes from the bottom and not from the top like in the tutorial. You can invert the direction of the green channel by activating "Neg" in the "map to" menu (right above the green rectangle).

We got some pretty funny effects with the wrong lighting... :blink:

I've always found it a lot easier to export your normal map surface as an ASE and render the map in Doom 3 using the renderbumpflat command.

Hey Orbweaver. I guess I should explain my situation. ATM I can't currently run Doom3, and won't be able to for some time, so what you suggest isn't realy possible right now. It's annoying as what I think I can bring to the mod is modelling skill, as in maps, so modelling items for normal maps seemed the next logical thing to learn. Can I ask what benefits of your suggestion bring?

And Angua, tank you very much for letting me know, I'll be sure to do that :)

P.S. Does that pge display correctly for everyone else?

P.S. Does that pge display correctly for everyone else?

It isn't messed up - it's the Chinese version, hence "blendercn.org" instead of "blender.org". :) The Chinese glyphs may not be rendering on your system, but they show up on mine.

You probably want the English site:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Man...and_Normal_Maps

AFAIK the advantage of doing it via Doom 3 is that it always uses the correct settings for Doom 3.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.