The Dark Mod Forums

Some Basic Stuff From L-wave

Maximius

Its a zipped file right? Thats what the windows web service told me but my WinZip doesnt recognize it.

It's a rar file, you'll need Winrar to unzip it.

Darkness Falls: I found all of the functions you described but I cannot make my texture choices transfer to the modeler window. I have "textured" the little circular sample window in the surface editor so I know Im on the right path but I have to be missing some step. Ive tried to select all polys, not select, if that even means anything

I might be wrong, but I believe procedurals are only applied to the model when it's rendering. Unlike UV's, you can't make them pop up in the perspective window while i'm Modeler.

It's a rar file, you'll need Winrar to unzip it.

I might be wrong, but I believe procedurals are only applied to the model when it's rendering. Unlike UV's, you can't make them pop up in the perspective window while i'm Modeler.

Ok so Im not actually rendering it when Im looking at it in the modeler? That may sound really stupid but bear with me. So if I have the surface and texture editors opened and Ive made my changes, what next, how do I actually render it? I had assumed that the changes would automatically transfer as the smoothing effect did from the surface ed.

Maximius, I've linked this internally a few times, might as well throw it out here to be ignored as well. :P

http://www.mplayerhq.hu

Get the codecs zip that's listed somewhere on the site (it's like 40Mb or something) and it plays everything. Forewarning: it runs from the command line.

Ill try that man, thanks, but what is this command line you speak of?

(Do you guys know how long I have successfully resisted learning more than I absolutely had to about computers? Like 20 years! Now all that work's slowly coming to naught. I hope you are all pleased with yourselves. )

Ok so Im not actually rendering it when Im looking at it in the modeler? That may sound really stupid but bear with me. So if I have the surface and texture editors opened and Ive made my changes, what next, how do I actually render it? I had assumed that the changes would automatically transfer as the smoothing effect did from the surface ed.

When I say render, I mean going into Layout and doing it from there. As long as you have the procedural applied to a surface, when you go in to do the final pic it'll show up there.

If you want to check out your work, go into Layout, go to the render tab, go into render options and set "show rendering in progress" to 640x480, then select Render Frame. You can check out how your textures look from there.

I'd give you better instructions on how to get a more detailed viewing, but I've only barely dabbled in Layout. Most of my time has been spent learning Modeler.

In modeler, go to the top right tab with the triangle, press 'sent object to layout', and then in layout hit f9 to render it.

To make it look better go to the render tab - render options turn on ray trace shadows, hit the double sided flag for the object in the surface editor, chnage the light type to and area light and make it about the size of a window in comparison to the goblet. Also make a plane for the goblet to stand on so you can see the shadows cast.

You will want to move the camera as well, so make sure it is selcted, go into camera view and move it to suit.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ok, I did all that, actually rendered it, but the texturing still isnt applied to the cup in the final picture. I selected a texture, will all the additive and what not, and the little preview sphere changes accordingly, but not in the final rendering. I tried saving the texture I made and then loading it, but still no dice. The iron grey coloring I gave it came through but no texturing at all. What step am I missing?

My guess would be that you made a stand-alone procedural without applying it to the texture from the surface editor.

I'll start at the beginning and do a step-by-step. See if you've missed something along the way. We'll say you've got your model and want to apply a single texture to the whole thing.

so...

1. Hit Q to bring up Change Surface. Give it a name, a color, check smoothing, apply a specular value..do whatever you feel like. After you're done your model should change to the color you selected.

2. Hit F5 or open the Surface Editor from the lefthand menu. You should see the texture you made under "surface name". Select it, go to "color" in the right menu, and hit the T button next to color.

3. From inside that menu, go to "Layer Type", select "procedural" and do your thing. When you're done, hit "Use Texture" at the bottom of the menu and it'll apply it to the model.

3b. If you want to apply a bumpmap to roughen up the surface, do the same thing, but do it under bump instead of color.

4. Go to Layout and do your render.

If you did everything right you'll see the texture on the model.

Its still not rendering the texture. I've tried it numerous times now, I think the problem is like you said earlier, that the procedural is not being added to the texture from the surface editor. All the other steps are working just fine. Ill keep banging at it but I cant see what else I can do.