The Dark Mod Forums

TDM - What Are You Working On?

Mr Mike

Transparent glass is not a good idea, generally. Aesthetically it doesn't look very good on windows like that, and it also can cause problems when rendering a scene, as only the closest vertex shader to the player is actually rendered (I think I have that right).

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first concern is performance, i want to seal all areas and use visportals, i think glass texture dont work for that, but i can be wrong.

Correct, you can see through glass, so vis will as well. If you really want transparent windows, there are some things to know and some tricks. As a quick example of each, as Springheel said, you might not want to put fog in front of window, as it won't look too great (try it out to get an idea how it looks, and see if you can work with it). For the other, to have vis-closed windows, you could use a distance-triggered portal, which basically closes when you're far enough away, and opens when closer. I'm not sure if that's incorporated into the beta release.

Here is an idea for 3-D trees, can anyone tell me if this is possible or not?

treeideaqf1.th.jpg

The clear sections are three dimensional "blobs" of transparent polygons on which I want to apply a foliage material. The stems, branches, and trunk are alpha maps with normalmapping to give the appearance of being round. What I need to know is whether the stems be embedded inside the invisible polygons so that the player can actually see them inside there? The foliage material will be layered like an onion inside each blob, like I want to layer the hedgerows, but I also want the stems visible to give it depth. Also, can the alpha maps for the trunks and branches be tapered so that they look as if they are gradually getting narrower as they move up the tree? Thanks!

Here are a couple of diffuse maps I've made, I hope to have them as full materials soon.

hawthornesampleeh2.th.jpg[/img]

my.php?image=hedgerowsamplepy5.jpg[/img]

Comments and critiques welcome, I hope to have two more posted tonight.

These are foliage for trees and bushes, the first is hawethorne and the second is a type of hedge. Im going to do a japanese red maple and some neat looking yellow bush next.

Argh, sparhawk what did I do wrong?

Heres another link, why are they not working right?

This is a Japanese red maple, Im doing a yellow one for some Fall colors.

http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ja...ffusemapmp9.jpg

and now the yellow one:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9357/yell...foliagedct2.jpg

BTW I realized some of you are probably wondering why they have holes in them, remember Im planning on layering them within each tree model to help build the sense of depth.

Edited by Maximius

....For the other, to have vis-closed windows, you could use a distance-triggered portal, which basically closes when you're far enough away, and opens when closer. I'm not sure if that's incorporated into the beta release.

Distance portals are included - distportal_test.map.

Comments and critiques welcome

IMHO they look a bit abstract or even psychodelic as for the foliage... They might look a bit strange with the rest of textures (walls, floors, other models) looking quite realistic.

I think hedge made this way (with layers) could look more believable than tree. Most of tree models in current games follow the structure of tree - your way would suit more for arch viz type of tree model. But let's see - I'm curious about your results.

IMHO they look a bit abstract or even psychodelic as for the foliage... They might look a bit strange with the rest of textures (walls, floors, other models) looking quite realistic.

I think hedge made this way (with layers) could look more believable than tree. Most of tree models in current games follow the structure of tree - your way would suit more for arch viz type of tree model. But let's see - I'm curious about your results.

Thanks for taking a look, P-dot and please remember folks these are my first diffuse maps ever! :blush: Should I be trying to capture more precise leaf detail in them? I was trying to "generalize" the images throughout so that one particular feature didn't keep coming out but maybe its too much.

I agree, its going to be a bit of a gamble on the trees, but the hedges seem a surer thing. Take a look at this crude diagram, its two ideas for the trees, Im not sure which one is better.

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/9104/tr...eafordotuv6.jpg

Pictures 1 and 2 are the basic ideas, its a trunk of normal mapped low count polys that runs all the way up, branching off as it goes. The upper branches are embedded inside a "blob" of transparent polys which I plan to texture with the maps I posted. There is a top side view next to it.

Ok, now picture 3 is one possible route. A number of smaller blobs embedded within a larger blob, all will be textured with the see-through foliage.

Picture 4 is a different take, no larger blob but just a series of smaller ones, textured accordingly, maybe with layers inside or smaller blobs at the tips of branches. Im assuming that with transparent polys and textures that allow you to peek through you can still see the tips of branches inside the blobs. These blobs look toonish right now but I'm studying some pictures of tree boughs, I hope to be able to shape them to a pretty fine degree with Lightwave so that they will appear more realistic.

P.S. Whats an arch viz tree? :huh:

Edited by Maximius

I was teste some TDM trees models and a came to conclusion that it coull be usefull if we have only a foliage model, than we could make our own trunk, is that possible?

I think so, I think a low poly, maybe three or four sided trunk could be constructed, with 3 to 4 sided branches coming off at intervals, which in turn spear off into smaller and smaller branches and twigs. Then, with normal mapping, not that I can do it well yet or anything but Doom 3 tells me its possible with its tubes and pipes that are really square, a "round" bark map could be drawn on the trunk, making it look realistic. I think. Sorta.

How did you design your foliage, can you post some pics of your work?

I think so, I think a low poly, maybe three or four sided trunk could be constructed, with 3 to 4 sided branches coming off at intervals, which in turn spear off into smaller and smaller branches and twigs. Then, with normal mapping, not that I can do it well yet or anything but Doom 3 tells me its possible with its tubes and pipes that are really square, a "round" bark map could be drawn on the trunk, making it look realistic. I think. Sorta.

How did you design your foliage, can you post some pics of your work?

Sorry but i did not design any foliage, i dont have such talent, my ideia came from a situation where i wanted to put a tree in space where i needed a big foliage with a small trunk, create a trunk is easy but foliage is not, thats why i came with this thought, dont know if that could be possible or not?

Sorry but i did not design any foliage, i dont have such talent, my ideia came from a situation where i wanted to put a tree in space where i needed a big foliage with a small trunk, create a trunk is easy but foliage is not, thats why i came with this thought, dont know if that could be possible or not?

We will see, I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

This is an idea for making trees I've been messing around with. Its really, really hi-poly, I was thinking I could skin it and map it onto a low poly model. I think I could remake the tree trunk and low poly spheres with around maybe 200 polys? The lighting and scene are lame, its a rush job as I'm leaving for the weekend early tomorrow.

I used the fractalize function under multiply tab to make oblong spheres into the foliage. I did it four times for each sphere. They are still a little too oblong for my taste but this is a trial run anyway. The textures and everything else sux I realize, I'm really looking for feedback on the hi poly to low poly mapping and the general concept of using fractalize to do this.

Im thinking with a good normalmapped texture, the level of detail of the boughs could be increased dramatically. Right now its still not enough for real "leafiness" but the poly count was killing my puters when I tried to fractalize five times.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/564/treesample1vq5.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3325/treesample2li0.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1363/treeproject3az0.jpg

Why Maximius, those are simply the greatest 3d trees ever designed! Theres nothing to be changed at all, you keep right on making the greatest 3d trees ever designed. I'm betting that most folks are soooooo impressed with the greatest 3d trees ever designed, that they feel all sheepish and embarrassed to leave any comments or suggestions. I mean, who can improve on perfection?

Edited by Maximius

Why Maximius, those are simply the greatest 3d trees ever designed! Theres nothing to be changed at all, you keep right on making the greatest 3d trees ever designed. I'm betting that most folks are soooooo impressed with the greatest 3d trees ever designed, that they feel all sheepish and embarrassed to leave any comments or suggestions. I mean, who can improve on perfection?

I agree with the post above completely! Those are the greatest 3d trees ever designed, hands down. So max, which design company are you going to go work for now? They must be kicking down your door, after all you have created the greatest 3d trees ever designed!

They sure look nice, but I have to seem them in a map to see how they really work. I'm not really good at judging how it turns out later. That's why my wife usually makes the decisions about how to furniture our living room and selecting the colours and such. :)

Gerhard

They sure look nice, but I have to seem them in a map to see how they really work. I'm not really good at judging how it turns out later. That's why my wife usually makes the decisions about how to furniture our living room and selecting the colours and such. :)

thank you, mein freund, but these bastards are soo high poly I doubt anything short of a mainframe could put them in a map. I really need to find out how to skin them then normal map the boughs to capture all that yummy leafiness.

I'm really looking for feedback on the hi poly to low poly mapping and the general concept of using fractalize to do this.

I think you're limiting your potential comments to people who know something about factalization.

I think you're limiting your potential comments to people who know something about factalization.

Hmm, what kind of oDDball would know that information? Its a rather oDD topic after all. It makes me feel oDD fishing for criticisms but what can I do?

BTW I was showing my family your website this weekend Springheel, they really loved your illustrations, especially the dog people you designed. Nice work!

Thanks. :) I wish I was better at balancing my time between my art and the mod. The latter tends to gobble up so much time that the former rarely gets done. :P

Have you tried fractalizing some small spikes and then putting those around a low poly oblong sphere? the inner part doesn't need to be high poly because you can't see that when the texture is done right with transparency and things. But the jutting spikes will show up good against the sky or a building.

Or take what you have and subtract the center with a low poly sphere, to keep the uniformity but reduce the inner poly count

Have you tried fractalizing some small spikes and then putting those around a low poly oblong sphere? the inner part doesn't need to be high poly because you can't see that when the texture is done right with transparency and things. But the jutting spikes will show up good against the sky or a building.

Or take what you have and subtract the center with a low poly sphere, to keep the uniformity but reduce the inner poly count

Interesting ideas. I think its possible to make a normal map of each bunch of foliage, then reapply that map to low poly spheres, THEN use some of these spikes you are talking about to give it an irregular outline. I have to find out how to skin the things first, though.

Maximus, I was wondering is it possible to use particle effects - as a still or swaying leaves image to place over a low poly tree model?

Thats a neat idea, AT, but way beyond my meager skills. It sound power intensive though, generating all those little particles must take up a lot of juice, and if its a forest, you get the idea...

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...