The Dark Mod Forums

Hilarious Search Logs Released By Aol

Ishtvan

SomethingAwful just searched thru those search logs that AOL accidentally released, finding a series of searches from the same user, with hilarious results:

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=4016

Now we have something new to be paranoid about, what we type into search engines! (Unless you were already paranoid about this, which I guess I was... :wacko: )

It's certainly something to watch out for - best to avoid typing your name into a search engine along with dodgy search terms.

Also, why would anyone use AOL search anyway? At least with Google even if they retain this information they won't be able to track any one user.

This is very interesting, and gives you a lot to think about.

Apart from the obvious - being reminded that nothing you do on the net is really private - it enforced my hatred towards the mainstream media. The contrast of unfiltered humanity and the image media paints of humans, how they are supposed to act and think, has become so strong it's bizzare. Sure, I tell myself that TV is not real, and news should always be taken with a grain of salt - but I think if you're under constant attack from those media images, you get used to (and tired of) them. So I was thankful for the little wake-up those search logs provided. I'm happy to see there are still humans out there, not just some plastic dolls.

I'm sure if you were able to get this data for yourself you might be pretty amused and even shocked at the weird combinations you sometimes wrote.

I know I wouldn't be surprised - I know some crazy shit I've searched for on occasion, but you'd probably be taken aback by what other people might think if they saw it in this context.

For instance, I've searched for "morrowind sex" just so I could determine that TTLG is indeed one of the top google results for that search term. Am I the least bit interested in morrowind sex itself? Thankfully not.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• taffernicus

i am so euphoric to see new FMs keep coming out and I am keen to try it out in my leisure time, then suddenly my PC is spouting a couple of S.M.A.R.T errors...
      tbf i cannot afford myself to miss my network emulator image file&progress, important ebooks, hyper-v checkpoint & hyper-v export and the precious thief & TDM gamesaves. Don't fall yourself into & lay your hands on crappy SSD

· 2 replies
    • OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 7 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

I wanna play Doom 3, but fhDoom has much better features than dhewm3, yet fhDoom is old, outdated and probably not supported. Damn!
      Makes me think that TDM engine for Doom 3 itself would actually be perfect.
      · 6 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

Maybe a bit of advice ? In the FM series I'm preparing, the two main characters have the given names Toby and Agnes (it's the protagonist and deuteragonist, respectively), I've been toying with the idea of giving them family names as well, since many of the FM series have named protagonists who have surnames. Toby's from a family who were usually farriers, though he eventually wound up working as a cobbler (this serves as a daylight "front" for his night time thieving). Would it make sense if the man's popularly accepted family name was Farrier ? It's an existing, though less common English surname, and it directly refers to the profession practiced by his relatives. Your suggestions ?
      · 9 replies