The Dark Mod Forums

Any Chances Of The This With The Darkmod....?

Arumakani

It entials writing code to implement features that are missing in Doom 3. :)

Maybe you could be more specific? Do you mean my contributions? I implemented the lightgem and the first code for frobbing, though Ishtvan changed it a lot, so that only part of it is still what I wrote initially. I also wrote the Stim/Response system and currently I'm working on doorhandles. I also wrote some other stuff mainly to help debugging and error analysis. Don't really remember everything as there are a lot of small details.

Gerhard

I was just wondering what your role entails. I thought it was to make DarkRadiant, and also to combine all the other peoples work together for the DarkMod i.e. getting the music, speech, models, A.I. and other stuff into a cohesive package.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

So how does what you do affect the mod? I mean that out of interest and not being rude !! I know DOm does AI etc. SO what does the programming you do, do in the mod?

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What exactly does the programming do? Is it how the door handles turn, whether they open the door or if it's locked and you need a key etc.

What is the Stim/Response system etc?

I know DOm does AI etc.

Not very well. The AI had no stealth game functionality, we had to put all that in. There's very little that we can't modify because "Doom does it," pretty much just the sound engine and the renderer, everything else can be modded, and probably will be in some way.

:angry:

Listen I'm not a programmer.

What exactly does the programming do? Is it how the door handles turn, whether they open the door or if it's locked and you need a key etc.

What is the Stim/Response system etc?

Ah. Ok. Seems to be a missunderstanding. :)

Well, the programming instructs the computer what he should do. So if you move the mouse on your desktop the computer doesn't know what a mouse is or a mousepointer. The software tells the computer that if the device that is connected to this particular port, should cause an update of the mousepointer whenever it is moved. The same thing is done when you program a game. The programmer intstructs the computer to move the player character wheneever you press the MOVE_FORWARD key and so on.

Kind of like a recipe:

If MOVE_FORWARD key is pressed, then move the player in the current viewdirection.

If FIRE_BUTTON key is pressed AND the weapon still has ammo fire a round and decrease the ammo.

This kind of thing.

My code does the same. Stim/Response is a system that looks in a given radius wether something is there that reacts with each other. For example. If you fire a water arrow, then the water arrow constantly looks wether there is something it can impact with. If this is the case it explodes and shows the water splash. When the splash is deploed, the Stim/Response system checkes if there is something in the vicinity that reacts to water, like a torch that needs to be doused. So the Stim is the water and the response is that the torch is doused. Of course the response can be different. For example you could say that if the response is coming from a moss arrow, the moss patch grows a little bit, and if he response comes from a blood poodle, the response is that it gets washed away. So the stim is always the same (water, fire, heat, etc.) but the response is different, depending on what was made contact with.

Gerhard

Excellent buddy. That's what I meant :) It seems like a lot of work.

Will these direction response stuff you are doing be also useable as is already the case with Doom3 with a joypad?

Is this Stim/Response that you do is for inanimate objects, whereas someone will be coding the response to an arrow ( whatever type) to hitting a person on the head or chest or legs etc ?

Edited by Arumakani

Nah, Stim/Response deals with stimulations such as fire or gas. So for example a candle entity will get turned off if it detects a water stim but get turned on if it detects a fire stim.

As for Sound propagation, it deals with how loud each sound is to the AI it can reach etc, so if the player makes a footstep, it checks how far away the AI is etc and calculates how much quiter/louder the sound should be when it reaches him.

Will these direction response stuff you are doing be also useable as is already the case with Doom3 with a joypad?

Well they're basically bindings, which is basically the same shit as when you open up the controls menu and set something like walk forward to up or whatnot. You see it as a GUI, but all it's doing is basically telling the game to use the up key (in this example) for walking forward, so when you press it you go forward.

• 3 months later...