The Dark Mod Forums

Doom3 Mod Lynch

Mr Mike

ah i think you mean Hollow Moon?

I am aware of it, I think we had it as mod of the month a while back on www.moddb.com. It's recieved much acclaim from folk for it's 'alternative' but addictive/powerful nature and atmospherics. Sadly though I'm yet to play it :-( I only recently bought UT2004 again, (primarily to try my hand at the tech side of it) but after downloading Hollow Moon it keeps crashing at the main menu.

I'm sure it's something minor and stupid I'm missing, I'll no doubt sort it out soon and hopefully have a more objective/first hand perspective from which to comment but it does look pretty dam fab!

ah i think you mean Hollow Moon?

I am aware of it, I think we had it as mod of the month a while back on www.moddb.com. It's recieved much acclaim from folk for it's 'alternative' but addictive/powerful nature and atmospherics. Sadly though I'm yet to play it :-( I only recently bought UT2004 again, (primarily to try my hand at the tech side of it) but after downloading Hollow Moon it keeps crashing at the main menu.

I'm sure it's something minor and stupid I'm missing, I'll no doubt sort it out soon and hopefully have a more objective/first hand perspective from which to comment but it does look pretty dam fab!

That's the one!

Yeah it was brilliant and extremely immersive. Because you had no sound, you had to keep looking around for the...things.

AFAIK you need the most recent patches to run it, I had the same problem until I downloaded patch 1.6 or whatever it was, then it worked fine.

I highly recommend the mod :)

ahh righty ill have a scan for the patch then! cheers!

regarding this subject, I dont suppose anyone knows how to create a distortion effect that only applies to certian areas of a texture? I basically wanted it so the very edges of the camera frame had a slight distortion effect, but no matter what combination i've tried (playing about with alpha maps and whatnot) it always applies it to the entire texture. I've been told there's no way around this though but I'm always open to suggestions.

ahh righty ill have a scan for the patch then! cheers!

regarding this subject, I dont suppose anyone knows how to create a distortion effect that only applies to certian areas of a texture? I basically wanted it so the very edges of the camera frame had a slight distortion effect, but no matter what combination i've tried (playing about with alpha maps and whatnot) it always applies it to the entire texture. I've been told there's no way around this though but I'm always open to suggestions.

The distortion effects use normalmaps, so what you can do is make a normal map that fits the screen - and of course making it gradually get more distortive the further from the middle.

yeah i tried this but sadly doom was having none of it :(

i created the normal map so everything in the centre was flat, then got higher at the edges. The edges worked find but all i got over the flat part was this wierd scrolling effect and couldn't see anything of the actual game

yeah i tried this but sadly doom was having none of it :(

i created the normal map so everything in the centre was flat, then got higher at the edges. The edges worked find but all i got over the flat part was this wierd scrolling effect and couldn't see anything of the actual game

Hmm, scrolling effect? Could you pm me the material file? Perhaps it's a problem there

May sound like a cop out but this concept is actually pretty integral to the development of the narrative.

Either way regardless of praise/critisism i'm glad to see people found it worthy of comment :D

Allthough its pretty clear what you were aiming at, and I think it is a somewhat legitimate idea, as it

creates the illusion your controlling someone thru the camera, and granted, you certainly got the

effect of a low quality tv cam. However, in seeking the truth of that, I feel you lost way too much.

Mostly, you lost colour. It basically looked black and white, and the vid did look like it was in

colour. Some of the things I loved most about doom3 was the colour use... and that bar moving

down the screen like an old vid tape, would be extremely annoying. I think where something like

this would be most useful, would be in game cams. However, there is one thing you competely

forgot about. Doom3 takes place in time not the present. So given the technology of the game

(assuming your going for truth in story), I think by that time, the days of low quality vid would

be well and truly over. lol

Other than that... interesting.

Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Allthough its pretty clear what you were aiming at, and I think it is a somewhat legitimate idea, as it

creates the illusion your controlling someone thru the camera, and granted, you certainly got the

effect of a low quality tv cam. However, in seeking the truth of that, I feel you lost way too much.

Mostly, you lost colour. It basically looked black and white, and the vid did look like it was in

colour. Some of the things I loved most about doom3 was the colour use... and that bar moving

down the screen like an old vid tape, would be extremely annoying. I think where something like

this would be most useful, would be in game cams. However, there is one thing you competely

forgot about. Doom3 takes place in time not the present. So given the technology of the game

(assuming your going for truth in story), I think by that time, the days of low quality vid would

be well and truly over. lol

Other than that... interesting.

Venus

The scrolling effect may become annoying, but to be honest thats something im willing to wait and see on. The main reason I want to release it in smaller episodes is so that I can develop the content accordingly. not allow peoples reaction to dictate it completely, but try to gage a better balance between the 'art' of game design, and achieving down to earth, decent gameplay.I've allowed a few people to knock around with it and so far there's not been any single particular reaction. Some can't be doing with it, some barely notice it and others think it really adds to the style. Again though it's early days, and im happy witht he results/response thus far.

Colour wise, originally it was going to be black and white because the original concept was for a noir/style snuff game. As the idea developed though this got lost, i just didnt like the feel of it given the atmosphere of the levels and decided to go for something far more cold/industrial and so gave it a tint of blue. I wanted to give the view a harsh and unique look to it, and I didn't feel this was possible with colour. I love the colour of Doom 3 engine too, but I wanted to try something different and not have to rely on something i was already comfortable with.

Regarding the time line, it's in no way shape or form relating to Doom3 or Doom3's universe. Doom3 might be set years in the future, Lynch however is a present day mod so the technologies associated with that era are irrelevant. They are in two entirely different technological generations, but that said even if it was set in the same time, many of the on screen videos you see in Doom 3 have static/intereference too. Maybe it only happens if hell is invading though :D

Oh and Dram! I actually completely got rid of the files i originally used when trying to pull that effect off. However I do still want to get it working somehow so ill try building it again, if i have the same problems i will forward the files to you. Cheers man!

Oh and Dram! I actually completely got rid of the files i originally used when trying to pull that effect off. However I do still want to get it working somehow so ill try building it again, if i have the same problems i will forward the files to you. Cheers man!

No problem, always glad to help :)

Zylon, tell me exactly what the problemo is and ill try and get it sorted for you.

SneaksieDave, sadly the mythology behind my name is of an extremely dull nature :( My 'internet alias' is Koroshiya Ichi, which is the japanese translation of Ichi The Killer (very funny film!) or 'The Number One Killer'. There's a sort of ironic meaning in that regarding Deathmatch and whatnot, I suck :D However I got bored/tired of always typing that crap out so abbreviated it to K' Ichi, subsequently K1chi. See, not very exciting at all sorry :(

The scrolling effect may become annoying, but to be honest thats something im willing to wait and see on. The main reason I want to release it in smaller episodes is so that I can develop the content accordingly. not allow peoples reaction to dictate it completely, but try to gage a better balance between the 'art' of game design, and achieving down to earth, decent gameplay.I've allowed a few people to knock around with it and so far there's not been any single particular reaction. Some can't be doing with it, some barely notice it and others think it really adds to the style. Again though it's early days, and im happy witht he results/response thus far.

Colour wise, originally it was going to be black and white because the original concept was for a noir/style snuff game. As the idea developed though this got lost, i just didnt like the feel of it given the atmosphere of the levels and decided to go for something far more cold/industrial and so gave it a tint of blue. I wanted to give the view a harsh and unique look to it, and I didn't feel this was possible with colour. I love the colour of Doom 3 engine too, but I wanted to try something different and not have to rely on something i was already comfortable with.

Regarding the time line, it's in no way shape or form relating to Doom3 or Doom3's universe. Doom3 might be set years in the future, Lynch however is a present day mod so the technologies associated with that era are irrelevant. They are in two entirely different technological generations, but that said even if it was set in the same time, many of the on screen videos you see in Doom 3 have static/intereference too. Maybe it only happens if hell is invading though :D

I apologise... I thought you were just doing a vid style of doom... I just searched google and found your mod, and I can see what your doing now. Sounds interesting, scary (cool - love fear element in games, very hard to pull off). Still, I'd like to see that banding go, but your the designer lol..

Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

ahh right i gotcha! I was actually considering trying to incorporate this into a mod for Doom, where you could pilot the little sentry bot things and a screen like the one ive developed for lynch was how you saw throw it's 'eyes'. But that would require intellegence and I'm frankly a little low on stock in that area.

But yeah cheers :D the banding thing, again we'll see, it's something I can't really make a decision on til i've done more testing, but I take your point well into account. To me it's no issue and fits right in but I've been playing/toying with this thing for quite some time and there's a big difference between that and someone who's playing it for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...