The Dark Mod Forums

Builders' Cross

PinkDot

While thinking about engravings on the tombstones I thought up some Builders' cross symbol. I have no idea if there is one already - I just wanted to do it. :) So, here are results:

Quick concept: (could be used for any kind of ornaments, with some variations)

cross_concept_small.jpg

And here's model for cathedral. (screenshots are made in drumple's cathedral). Textures need some tuning up but you can see the idea already.

shot00037.jpg

shot00036.jpg

shot00039.jpg

What do you think about it?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I was uncomfortable about with the Builder's hammer in Thief was that it never looked like a hammer. It just looked like a giant "T". Like they were worshipping a guy named Tom.

I like this design, but my first itch would be to make the T less of a T, and more can't-miss-it hammer-like. Especially since the gear is unmistakable as a gear, and not a donut. :)

SD: you're right :) - I have to change it. That's some small improvement before I go to bed. Although I wouldn't like to complicate it too much - as a symbol it has to be still very simple and not too literal...

cross_version2.jpg

I like it B) Except it reminds me too much of the TDS Hammer cross.

How does it look like? have you got any screenshots cause I can't remember it...

I really like the design, PD, but looking at it I had two thoughts. One was to make the hammer metal as well--it will help the hammer and gear blend together better like they do in your original drawing. And second, as a personal preference, I'd try replacing the polished looking steel with a rougher, wrought-iron kind of metal. I think it would give it a greater sense of age.

I kind of like the fact that the current symbol uses both metal and stone, since I imagine builders probably respect both materials quite a bit. Stone is a sign of strength and permanence, while metal is a sign of ingenuity and progress.

Yes, when you think about it...it definitely makes sense. We can do multiple skins for it anyway. Some all stone, all metal...varying degrees of rust on the metal. :) All kinds of fun.

I would like one made of wood, symbolic of nature and age -- and in memory of the pagans that were displaced to create the cathedral...

:)

Yeah, because the Builders like nature and want to honour it. :P

A wooden one could work as a symbol of the Builder's reshaping of the chaotic woods into order, but I think it would at least need to have studded pieces of metal lining the edges, or bands of metal wrapped around the hammer, or something else to symbolise the control over the wood.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I like the design, and the stone/metal combo too. The reason it looks a bit strange at the moment is probably because the gear is seamlessly merged with the hammer, so it looks like two different models stuck into each other.

It should look better if you make indications of holes where the gear enters the hammer, so you get a feeling that the gear is actually worked into the stone.

I kind of like the fact that the current symbol uses both metal and stone, since I imagine builders probably respect both materials quite a bit.

Since the beginning I've envisioned the Builders as considering iron a somewhat holy material. Stone is great, but it is something to be shaped and used. It is metal tools that give man superiority over nature, metal hammers and metal anvils that allow things to be built.

Besides that, it would just look like a better design if it were all one material. It could be all stone or all metal, but the mix of both looks awkward.

A symbol that includes both aspects does make sense to me. After all, a church is like an embassy between the mortal world and the realm of gods (ie the shaping and the shaped).

Aside from that, I think the use of two different materials is what makes the design appealing in first place - a thing of preference. Alternate skins ahoy! :D

Thanks for feedback!

As I can see the opinions are diffrent - some prefer cross made of one material and some likes the idea of combining stone and metal together.

I was going to make diffrent versions anyway - it would actually look odd if the cross would have just one form in entire Builders' world. So, I'm going to make diffrent models (bigger and smaller, simpler and more elaborate) with diffrent skins. Let mappers have choice.

It should look better if you make indications of holes where the gear enters the hammer, so you get a feeling that the gear is actually worked into the stone

Yes, you're absolutely right - thanks for pointing that.

Springheel: Yes, I would agree that the metal is too shiny. I'll change it.

BTW: I've just realized that it shouldn't be called "cross". AFAIK The Master Builder wasn't crucified, was he? :unsure: So... how to call that symbol? Free copy of Dark Mod for the one who thinks up the best name! ;)

The design looks great, but somehow that stonehammer doesn't go so well with the metal gear. Or maybe the stone material should be a different kind of stone.

Any suggestions? Marble...?

BTW: I've just realized that it shouldn't be called "cross". AFAIK The Master Builder wasn't crucified, was he?

What does that have to do with the word 'cross'? :huh:

What does that have to do with the word 'cross'? huh.gif

Jesus Christ was crucified and that's why cross is the most important christian symbol. And then I called this Builders's symbol "cross" automatically, just as an analogy and also because it somehow reminds some cross shape. But obviously it isn't cross in any meaning...

Jesus Christ was crucified and that's why cross is the most important christian symbol.

I'm aware of that (though personally I think they should have stuck with the fish). But that has nothing to do with the word 'cross', which probably existed long before the romans crucified ('crossed') anyone. To cross something just means to go perpendicular to it from one side to the other 'across' it.

I'm aware of that (though personally I think they should have stuck with the fish). But that has nothing to do with the word 'cross', which probably existed long before the romans crucified ('crossed') anyone. To cross something just means to go perpendicular to it from one side to the other 'across' it.

I'm not saying that word "cross" comes from crucifying Jesus. I'm saying that that's why cross is important christian symbol. And that's also why the most important symbol for Builders doesn't have to be called cross.

Well, actually we can still call it cross based on its shape - form of hammer and gear are crossing each other somehow... I was just afraid of borrowings from christian religion, but we can explain the name "cross" in the other way...

Whatever you think...