The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

That's what I thought. Which raises the question, why in this case has GCC decided to look for symbols WITHOUT a leading underscore? The only thing unusual about this case is that it is the first time I have made OpenGL calls from within a static library. Maybe there is some special treatment that is given to libraries that causes the symbol naming convention to be changed.

Maybe there is a confusion how the functions were compiled? I think that in C++ mode there are no underscores attached, instead the names are mangled. So maybe you can check in your includefiles or makefiles wether there is some wrong definition of that #if _cplusplus kind of thing?

Gerhard

The strange thing is, the object file generating the error (aabb.o in libmath.a) only has undefined symbols for the underscore versions - _glVertex3f@12 etc. These match the exported symbols from libopengl32.a, which means they should match - which they do in entity but not md3model.

If they are not relied upon by Doom 3 code, strip them. If they are required in this way, consider rewriting the Doom 3 code so as not to use them, although this may well involve more work and is not necessarily required.

Ok, I will test it out right now!

I have another question: I want to add the comma character "," to the list of kept delimiters of the DefTokeniser, but I somehow don't know how to do this elegantly (copying the whole DefTokenser to my own Tokeniser just doesn't feel right :) ).

So at the moment _keptDelimiters is initialised by the DefTokeniserFunc constructor. Is there a way to change the _keptDelims later on (i.e. after instantiating it)?

Apart from that, I'm nearly done with the parsing algorithm for the shaders, so hopefully I have something for you to proofread this weekend, if you don't mind ;-)

So at the moment _keptDelimiters is initialised by the DefTokeniserFunc constructor. Is there a way to change the _keptDelims later on (i.e. after instantiating it)?

Yes, you'll note that the DefTokeniser constructor actually takes a list of delimiters but does nothing with it. Really it should take two lists (kept and non-kept) and pass them down to the DefTokeniserFunc. I think this code exists from when I was initially trying to use a standard Boost tokeniser (which takes a list of separators) before realising that I had to write my own.

Apart from that, I'm nearly done with the parsing algorithm for the shaders, so hopefully I have something for you to proofread this weekend, if you don't mind ;-)

Excellent, I look forward to seeing the result.

There was a useOpenGL() missing in the sconscript, after adding this to module_env it was resolved (add module_env.useOpenGL() after sconscript:108).

I implemented the new constructor to DefTokeniser. It has now two optional arguments (const char* delims and keptDelims) apart from the inStr. This seems to work for me.

Ok, I think I'm done with a first version of the new parser. It is in principle a re-write of the parsing code that is capable of everything the old parser was, but this one is more structured and does not get confused with the image program functions like heightmap() etc.

There is probably a lot that still can be improved, so a proofread and comments/suggestions from you would be appreciated!

Which way do you want me to send them to you?

Ok, I'm dumb :), how do I do this with TortoiseSVN? The Diff-Command seems to be available for files only, not for folders. The "check for modifications" just lists the files that are modified, but not the differences themselves.

I'm not all that familiar with TortoiseSVN, but I would expect there to be some kind of diff option for folders since this is a feature that SVN provides. Is there definitely no other command that could be used for this? Perhaps it is not named what you think.

You might need to use TortoiseMerge actually, which supposedly comes with TortoiseSVN.

I tried a few but I'm afraid I will have to use google. The changed files are on their way, I manually figured out which ones have been changed.

Just a line in sconscript, and a few changed files in libs/parser and plugins/shaders.

edit: found it, it's "create patch". This creates some unified diff file with all the changes. Next time...

edit: found it, it's "create patch". This creates some unified diff file with all the changes. Next time...

Would you be able to send me this patch? I can apply the patch with a few clicks in Eclipse, and easily see the changes, whereas by simply replacing the files this becomes a lot harder.

Thanks, that's committed. I haven't gone through the code with a fine-toothed comb, but it works and the general structure looks OK which is good enough for me.

One thing I noticed was that some functions were passed non-const references (std::string&) when they could have been const - in C++ it is generally best to make everything const unless it has to be modified. This is one defense against inadvertent bugs because the compiler won't let you modify a const reference.

Ok, I will go through the class and look where I can add the const.

edit: I added some const qualifiers to most of the strings, should be better now. The patch is already in your inbox. Wouldn't it be easier if I directly sent this into SVN? Not that I plan to go an a SVN rampage as soon as I have access - I can ask you for permission before I commit anything, so that you can still control the commits.

I'm currently working on outsourcing the toolbar icons to an XML file so that it is a bit more customisable. At the moment the icons are added to the GTKToolbar in mainframe.cpp line after line.

I had something like this in mind:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project version="2.0"/>
<toolbardescription>

<settings>
		 <!-- future settings go here -->
</settings>

<toolbars>
	<toolbar name="basic">
		<item type="icon" caption="Open an existing map" bitmap="file_open.bmp" command="OpenMap" />
		<item type="icon" caption="Save the active map" bitmap="file_save.bmp" command="SaveMap" />
		<item type="spacer" />
		<item type="icon" caption="x-axis Flip" bitmap="brush_flipx.bmp" command="MirrorSelectionX" />
	</toolbar>
</toolbars>

</toolbardescription>

What do you think? (Should I open a new thread for this?)

I'll happily set you up with SVN commit access - you will need to create an account on SourceForge so I can do this. @Crispy - ditto.

That toolbar XML idea sounds excellent, as you have probably noticed I hate hardcoding things and would much rather everything was configured externally if possible. Take a look at GTK's UIManager which does exactly this:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkUIManager.html

Ultimately I would like everything to be available via a single internal interface - both game-specific and user-specific preferences would be available via XPath lookups (e.g. "/game/defaults/lightRadius" and "/user/windowPositions/entityBrower/x" or whatever).

My fresh and shiny sourceforge Username is: greebo_darkmod (greebo was already in use...)

And I will take a look at this UIManager.

edit: Heh, looks like my idea is not so new after all, this UIManager is exactly what I had in mind. I will implement it, but this maybe take the whole next week as I will be quite busy (as usual) the next five days.

I'll happily set you up with SVN commit access - you will need to create an account on SourceForge so I can do this. @Crispy - ditto.

My SF account is cpelling.

Only a few more weeks till I'll actually have the chance to use it. :rolleyes:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

OK, you're both added now, and should have SVN commit access.

Cheers.

Heh, Chris P = Crispy :)

Well done. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

This is how "far" I got till sunday evening: I could load a simplistic toolbar from my XML file and could successfully connect the actions to the existing commands of Radiant. However, I'm chewing on adding the icons to my toolbar, as there is no possibility to assign icons via the XML.

From the rather sparse documentation I found on the net, I assume it has to be done somehow via the GTkActions (there is even a function for creating icons for the action), but I could not figure it out before I stopped working yesterday.

I'm not sure, but I think I finally will have to use such a "association table", where all the icon paths are stored for each of the internal radiant commands (but it is possible to outsource this into an XML file as well). I have to create GtkActions for all of the radiant commands anyways, so this is not the main issue.

The problem I ran into yesterday was how to get some icons to be displayed in the toolbar in the first place. I played around a bit, but I haven't found the right way to do this. Most probably because of my lack of experience with GTK, but I'm working on that.

Basically, I get a GtkWidget from the GtkUiManager when I tell it the right path into the XML file (like "/toolbar", which returns a toolbar widget).

This toolbar can be added to an existing container (in my case a vbox), this works, but no icons are there (just text buttons). I can change the display_mode of the toolbar to "GTK_DISPLAY_ICONS" (can't recall the exact name of the constant right now), but as there are no icons created by the UiManager, I have to set them on my own, which is where I'm stuck.