The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Test Vol. 2

Renzatic

Whoa, place lost alot of it's cheer since while I was away...now it's all gothed out. ;)

Anyway, new textures placed in a more properly lit room for your persual. I even threw in my ugly ass wallpaper texture just to show it off....still think it belongs in a bathroom.

Pic

I intend to throw in a fireplace near the center of the room once I get an appropriate texture in place. I also wanna make it less angular, but I figured it'd be good to test out the lighting engine so I made a few pillars and grooves to see how it'd do.

I haven't imported Blackthief's paneled ceiling yet (hence no ceiling), but it'll be in there soon. I'll also try out his other wallpapers in place of mine, too.

Edited by Renzatic

Yup, Dom, Blackthief needs to get the game so he can have as much fun with it as I am. ;)

Yet another quick update, this time with BT's blue windows in tow. I really need to learn how to make light materials, once I do I could get the shadows being cast on the floor to mimic the window perfectly and get a nice crosshatch shadow setup going on..

Whoop

But as it is it looks pretty alright. Needs furniture and light fixtures...and a ceiling still...and maybe some more tweaks on the lighting...but anway, there it is.

great work man :) I hope I get D3 tomorrow in the computer store, where I buy my new computer components. If everything works fine I'll be able to play D3 on highest-details in 2 days :D

BTW: as soon as you've got your ceiling we should post this screen in the ttlg-forums, I think people will be really impressed.

Edited by BlackThief

I've got your ceiling in the game, but I can't seem to get it to fit in with the rest of the room. That style of ceiling is great for rooms with only a little emblishment along the walls, otherwise the tiles conflict with the positions of the posts and it starts looking funky (I'm pretty anal when it comes to mapping...in case you can't tell ;)).

I'm gonna try and do it with different layers of tiles, smaller ones along the edge and bigger ones towards the center so it'll line up properly.

Edit: ere we go

The normalmap needs a bit more depth to flesh it out, but it looks alright. The ceiling looks too flat in comparison to the rest of the room, though. I'll have to fix that up.

Edited by Renzatic

Make sure you check it out again...I just tweaked the ceiling and added some more trim along the walls.

If it's alright with everyone else I'll go ahead and post it on the TTLG thread. It's kinda got that Widow Moria look to it, which is alot closer to the style we're going for than my first map.

Wow...we really need to start digging up info on light materials. I just got through playing around with a few of them and, except for the frequency, I've caused it to put on an excellent lightning display.

You could do so much with it and use only a minimal amount of resources. Want a shadowy silhouette of some trees swaying slowly in a breeze displayed on your windows ? Use a light material. The same could go for casting the same shadow on a wall opposite of a window during a lightning storm...have a tree cast a shadow when a bolt of lightning lights up the sky. You could even have clouds rolling slowly across your floors.

There's so much potential here for awesomeness it's not even funny.

lol, I'll get to it. I was planning on doing it tomorrow after I clean it up and straighten things out inside of it a bit.

But on another note...Fireplace

You have to see it in motion to really appreciate it, what with the (bit too frequent at the moment) lightning lighting everything up nice and cooly. I'll include both my maps in with the texture pack when I upload it to the FTP.

Not yet, no. The specular maps are the one big thing I'm missing at the moment. Based on what I've seen thus far they're not a dire necessity...can't hurt to have em, but everything looks fine without em.

The texture package...so far I've kept everything nice and organized, but there are a few textures in there that absolutely refuse to work no matter what I do. Considering that about 1/3rd of Id's textures aren't showing up, I'm starting to believe it's more of a bug with the editor than a problem on my end.

Candles are already modelled in D3 so that shouldn't be hard. I wonder what other D3 objects we could use if we retextured them? We could put a wood texture on the boxes, for starters.

I'm gonna have to be wary of this editor. I just opened up my map and all the geometry was...gone. It's a good thing I had a backup cuz all I've lost was the fireplace, which is fairly easy to rebuild.

I'm still trying to figure out how to add models and particle effects to the map. I can browse em, even found a few good fire effects and some candles like Springheel said, but I can't place em yet.