The Dark Mod Forums

My Feedback And Suggestions On Darkradiant

Nice! Thx for the tip. Is there any way to translate the model up/down/left/right?

Not at present, it's just rotate and zoom for now.

Edit: Just noticed, the settings in the new Filter menu are apparently not saved with the rest of preferences between loads.

Yes, they are not currently persistent. I guess it would not be too difficult to add this however.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me again. :blush:

In trying out Gaetane's problem, I noticed that a user cannot apply textures from the media browser, and that the must instead be on the textures tab. Could that be made possible?

Right-click, "Apply to selection".

You may be expecting DoomEdit style behaviour here (textures applied as soon as you select them), however I deliberately avoided this as there are situations where I want to inspect a texture without necessarily applying it to whatever I have selected.

Nice! Thx for the tip. Is there any way to translate the model up/down/left/right?

You can nudge, if that's what you mean. Hold down Alt and press an arrow key while something is selected and it will move around in smallish increments.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Right... sorry, didn't notice that you were speaking in the context of the model browser. :blush:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

A couple of new request/suggestions (just from re-examining an AI performance test map):

1. DoomEd offers an apparently broken (either that or I just don't get it) choice of how to view models in the iso views. For instance, as wire mesh, or simple bounding box. I'm viewing a top down iso view of a room with 35 or so AI in it in DoomEd and it's very slow - about 8 FPS. In DR, it's unusable - 0.5 FPS. So in DR this feature becomes even more essential.

Basically the idea would be that the user can choose to have AI (or any complex model maybe?) as the wireframe (default) or as the bounding box. Maybe a button to toggle the value for speedy convenient usage, or even better, when the entity is selected, it shows the wireframe (showing the bbox when not selected). I guess another option would be to do rudimentary LOD, like the grid does as you zoom out. Only for ents, as you zoom out, models over a certain poly threshhold (or all, if that's too taxing) become bounding boxes only. Why does someone need to see meshes comprising 250,000 polys, especially when they're zoomed out? Just no need for it, and it makes it unusable. See attached image - that's a reasonable scene and a reasonable zoom level, and I have 0.5 FPS.

2. This one is also kinda represented in the image, but just by coincidence. In DoomEd, when point and click selecting, brushes take lowest priority in selecting overlapping things. So, if I click select on a guard, I get the guard and not the brushes above, below, or on the side of it. In DR, it seems whatever is in the foreground is selected no matter what. There is still the option to Ctrl-Shift-click toggle through all stacked items and that's good, but that's additional work, and wouldn't be needed 90% of the time if non-brush entities were given first consideration (if you're click-selecting over an ent, chances are you want that ent anyway).

post-58-1164038638_thumb.jpg

I agree with both of those.

It would also be worth seeing how the rendering could be improved through the use of OpenGL Display Lists. I am fairly sure that these are not used at all, so there might be a speed boost by getting models to create a display list for themselves which can be rendered more quickly than sending the vertex data each time.

It would also be worth seeing how the rendering could be improved through the use of OpenGL Display Lists.

Yes, I suspect that would help a lot. Modern graphics cards should be able to handle the number of polygons in that screenshot without any trouble, I would hope; which makes me suspect that the video card bandwidth is bottlenecking. Of course this is exactly the problem that display lists are intended to solve.

Yes, I suspect that would help a lot. Modern graphics cards should be able to handle the number of polygons in that screenshot without any trouble, I would hope; which makes me suspect that the video card bandwidth is bottlenecking. Of course this is exactly the problem that display lists are intended to solve.

I wouldn't be so sure that bandwidth is the problem, I think it is likely that the rendering is CPU-bound because of very inefficient algorithms. It would be interesting to do some basic profiling to find out where the bottlenecks are; it may turn out that traversing the scenegraph and building up the list of renderables is very performance-instensive, for example.

True. Profiling it would definitely be an interesting exercise.

• 2 months later...

Played with DR a bit more tonight, and came across some stuff that either isn't implemented, or I'm just missing them (it is getting late). I'd feel bad tracking these if they're already there, so can someone fill me in first?

- multi-entity objects (not sure what else to call them): in DoomEd, make three brushes. Select them all, and make them func static. Now, they're all as the same func_static - selecting one selects any of them. They can all be copied together, moved around together, etc. In DR, I am able to make several separate brushes as parts of a func static (all named the same), however there doesn't seem to be any smart group selection. You must select them all, and then can work with them (that'd be quite tough with Dram's banisters...)

- tab to move between the parts of such objects: when the above object is selected, hitting tab will cycle through each entity piece individually. This is also good for toggling through the sides of a patch. Neither seem to be in DR. Necessary if the smart group selection above works.

- revert to worldspawn: shift-g in DoomEd, the objects above will revert back to plain brushes

- patch thicken: vital - surely this must exist; am I just missing it? Can't find menu item or hotkey for it.

- rotation modes: ctrl-r in DoomEd to cycle between axis flat (center), axis, axis flat (rot origin)

- multi-entity objects (not sure what else to call them): in DoomEd, make three brushes. Select them all, and make them func static. Now, they're all as the same func_static - selecting one selects any of them. They can all be copied together, moved around together, etc. In DR, I am able to make several separate brushes as parts of a func static (all named the same), however there doesn't seem to be any smart group selection. You must select them all, and then can work with them (that'd be quite tough with Dram's banisters...)

- tab to move between the parts of such objects: when the above object is selected, hitting tab will cycle through each entity piece individually. This is also good for toggling through the sides of a patch. Neither seem to be in DR. Necessary if the smart group selection above works.

That's a known issue, ideally there would be better grouping behaviour. You could add this comment to the existing feature request for grouping if you wish.

- revert to worldspawn: shift-g in DoomEd, the objects above will revert back to plain brushes

I didn't know about that function, I guess it would be possible but only for brushes/patches (not func_statics containing models).

- patch thicken: vital - surely this must exist; am I just missing it? Can't find menu item or hotkey for it.

I wouldn't count on it existing already, when I took this project on they didn't even have a model selector :rolleyes:

- rotation modes: ctrl-r in DoomEd to cycle between axis flat (center), axis, axis flat (rot origin)

There is only one rotation mode I know of, but I have raised a feature request for a configurable rotation origin. What do your three modes do? Would they be solved by a configurable origin?

Played with DR a bit more tonight, and came across some stuff that either isn't implemented, or I'm just missing them (it is getting late). I'd feel bad tracking these if they're already there, so can someone fill me in first?

If you don't mind, or have some free time on your hands :P you might also copy the feature proposals over to the bugtracker. I added a group for proposals as well, so it is probably easier to track, then within the forum.

Gerhard

So far I've been putting proposals/requests under feature (unless they really seem like a bug). Do you guys think there's a need to distinguish?

There is only one rotation mode I know of, but I have raised a feature request for a configurable rotation origin. What do your three modes do? Would they be solved by a configurable origin?

To be honest, I'm not sure. One seems to set a common center-calculated origin for all selected objects, around which they are rotated as a unit - that has obvious good use. Another, I think rotates all selected items separately, but by the same exact amounts - also, obvious good use. The third is broken I think. :laugh: Much like everything else in DoomEd.

Edit: I'll update the existing entry with this info.

So far I've been putting proposals/requests under feature (unless they really seem like a bug). Do you guys think there's a need to distinguish?

Feature requests should have severity "feature" unless they are serious -- for example the missing "feature" of being able to save your map would be quite a serious bug. I am not altogether convinced that Patch Thickening is a "major" bug however, even though it may be "important" as a feature: a major bug is something that actually stops you from working, such as the problem with entity inspector not displaying or rendermode changes giving an assertion failure.

• 2 weeks later...
ESC to close dialogs

If a dialog like the surface inspector is open and has focus in D3Ed, hitting ESC will close it. Not so in DR. Just a user-friendliness thing.

I saw your issue report in the bugtracker concerning this behaviour: I think that ESC should not be catched by the inspector windows, but this is only my personal preference.

What do the other mappers say about this?

Heh, and I just made a comment today on this, coincidentally. :)

First I should clarify, I meant to say the properties windows, not the inspectors window. Sorry, I'll update the entry.

To me, it's "less" important now that it be implemented (I didn't previously realize the hotkeys were toggles - you can hit S to open surface props, and then S again to close it); it'd be a convenience, really.

But to clarify, if it were to be implemented at all, I think it should remain an optional setting, because truly some will prefer it the way it is now. Others may like the fairly normal windoze convention of ESC to close, so they'd have the choice.

Anyway, not to derail the question greebo asked:

What do the other mappers say about this?