The Dark Mod Forums

Bbc Robin Hood

Komag

(This was posted on the Eidos Thief forums, which are pretty dead though)

After seeing the first four episodes of the new Robin Hood BBC series, so far here's my view:

I sort of like it.

It's cheesy and silly and melodramatic and dorky, but still kinda cool and fun at the same time. I was hoping for awesome, grand, epic, gritty, and got none of that, but what I did get is okay enough. So while I'm certainly quite disappointed, it's not that bad and I would say worth watching.

I don't know anything about authentic costumes or helmets or anything. I like the outfits as far as I can see. I like the Sheriff and Guy of Gisbon far more than Robin or John or anyone else.

Marion's too fat, but oh well, she's still sort of good looking. I suppose a medieval noble woman couldn't be all thin and cute like Keira Knightly, so that was too much to wish for.

Robin has a weird baby face. And he completely reminds me of 6 year old Haley Joel Osment!

HaleyHood.jpg

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Marion's too fat, but oh well, she's still sort of good looking. I suppose a medieval noble woman couldn't be all thin and cute like Keira Knightly, so that was too much to wish for.

Personally I can't stand thin.

Haven't seen the series though, so I can't really comment.

I wasn't kidding, but that picture looks a lot thinner than in the show. Have you seen it? Maybe I can post a vid-cap or two later on to show what I'm seeing, because going by the website I would agree that my statement is nuts!

Okay, here's a few stills I took from episode 5, compiled into one pic:

mariangroup.jpg

That's the "too fat" I mentioned. I was being somewhat crass about it on purpose, just to type loosely, because it's only just a little bit overweight to me, not much really. I see it mostly in her face (her clothes usually aren't very form fitting anyway)

However, as I was going through to take some screen caps just now, I did notice that at times, and from the right angles, she looks a lot thinner than at other times and angles. So they certainly took the best angle for that title group pic on the website.

Anyway, she IS pretty.

Here are the "thin" pics from the official websites:

marianthin.jpg

Maybe you meant she has the facial cartilage and muscle structure indicative of a genetic predisposition for a low metabolic rate. Besides which, fat people are represenatative of low self-control (which is generally disliked in our society) in the modern society where food is easy to get.

My ex is a fashion designer and she said more or less the same thing.

She also said that the opposite extreme is in the rennaisance period, where you see the painting of the obese women, that was becuase it was desireable to appear wealthy enough that you could afford to be well fed, since food wasn't as easy to get as it is now.

@Komag - Yeah well... I have to say I can't sympathise with you :rolleyes: Those look like "bad photos", showing imperfections that are on even the prettiest girls, that are airbrushed out of existance when doing a photo shoot, like the pics on the website. Personally I think its pics like the ones on the website that have given a lot of men unrealistic expectations :)

But I'm not talking about blemishes or other imperfections - I'm talking about the general shape and size of things. I don't think they airbrush models' cheeks and chins smaller!

Well I hate to break the news to you... :)

My ex works in the fashion industry so I can tell you all the sorts of things they do to the photo, till it looks nothing like the girl :) it's like standard procedure.

They cut off bones that stick out, smooth over any creases (like the ones in her neck in that bottom left pic) re-shape cheek bones, move eyes wider apart, closer together, anything you can think of.

It's nice to know this unhumble crazy engineer is smart enough to be a fashion designer. As to expectations, here's what I suggest to the general population: continue fantacizing about media-depicted females but don't try to hitch-up with real ones - well-rendered interactive models in high-end and future game engines should suffice to give enough pleasure to continue being productive at work.

They cut off bones that stick out, smooth over any creases (like the ones in her neck in that bottom left pic) re-shape cheek bones, move eyes wider apart, closer together, anything you can think of.

Holy crap, wow! I knew some things, but not all that, crazy.

My ex works in the fashion industry so I can tell you all the sorts of things they do to the photo, till it looks nothing like the girl :) it's like standard procedure.

Actually I have a video showing exactly that. I think it was on YouTube or something but I can't remember the link, maybe I can inspect my browser history to find out where it came from. It started with a very average looking model (complete with blemishes etc) sitting in front of a light, then in fast motion added all of her makeup, hairstyle etc, then went onto the computer where they made her neck longer, eyes bigger, chin more slender etc and then ended up with her processed face on an advertising billboard, looking absolutely nothing like the original model.

@Komag: I do see what you mean, she certainly seems to have a somewhat "chubby" face.

Rabin Hood is crap. I watched the first three episodes before working out that every episode has exactly the same plot and set. Everyone wears medieval costumes that have come straight from the Paris catwalk.

The BBC's new series Torchwood is better, if only because I can feel nostalgic for my college days when they film in the street I used to live.

It started with a very average looking model (complete with blemishes etc) sitting in front of a light, then in fast motion added all of her makeup, hairstyle etc, then went onto the computer where they made her neck longer, eyes bigger, chin more slender etc and then ended up with her processed face on an advertising billboard, looking absolutely nothing like the original model.

So guys, try to remember this. So many girls you see in the street qualify for model work and could actually be them. There isn't some "Model Island" paradise where they all come from that you might one day discover. :)