The Dark Mod Forums

Neverwinter Nights 2

Ombrenuit

I'm really not one to complain. I had my doubts, Neverwinter Nights 2; but I had played the original. It was less "role-playing" focused than say, Baldur's Gate, but I still enjoyed it (although as with all Bioware games, I got stuck at some point and couldn't finish :P; I think for some reason or other I could no longer summon my pet). But I respected the game. I held my breath as the reviews came in, and they were pretty positive. I waited for the player reviews and those were positive. I wasn't planning on buying them, but considering the reviews, I decided to give it a shot.

Well, I spent an hour figuring out my character, really getting into his back story, class, race, etc. And when I finally got in...well the first thing I noticed was how ugly it looked (and yes, a common complaint, I can run Oblivion on medium settings, and this is just awful looking. The original was prettier for art style...). Secondly, I still can't figure out how the interface worked (the party system was frustrating as well). I suppose I could sit down with the manual, but entirely, everything was very reverse intuitive, while the original game's interface was actually great for the most part. I really enjoyed it. Secondly, the camera angles pretty much rendered the game unplayable for me. I can't even understand why or how it's so frustrating, but I just can't play a game like this with anything but top down, but even then the camera seems to get in the way and never show me what I want to see. Also, it's a real bitch to adjust. Then when I want to run places, path finding is awful and I often got stuck.

I just don't understand, and I really feel...well not cheated, but incredibly disappointed. I wish I could return it, but for some reason it's taboo for PC games to be returned? I don't see how they could take what Neverwinter Nights did right (it's interface, camera angles, etc.) and try to change it (in a backwards direction) for that matter. It felt like an imitation by a third party company, but nothing that would be worthy as a "sequal". Yeah, Neverwinter Nights was a pretty shallow RPG; it wasn't that fantastic. But I've never had technical issues make a game feel unplayable for me (or give me such frustration before). Not ever.

Either convince yourself that the original reviewers were right and you are wrong or that you did too little research.

Granted, I did too little research. This was a case of:

1) The Reviews were generally 8/10

2) A majority of player reviews were 9/10, calling it a masterpiece

3) It's a sequal, so I'm expecting the original game but with added features and better graphics. I liked the first game, I expected to like the second.

4) A friend recommended it

5) Obsidian Entertainment is considered a professional and highly respected company

I felt that taking this leap of faith wasn't really that great of a risk.

Well, to be fair, you have pointed out some very minor superficial 'damage' to the game. I'm not sure how you could dismiss a game based on the camera being a bit wonky and the graphics not being good enough on medium settiings, and the fact that the interface is harder to work out that your thought it would be.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well, to be fair, you have pointed out some very minor superficial 'damage' to the game. I'm not sure how you could dismiss a game based on the camera being a bit wonky and the graphics not being good enough on medium settiings, and the fact that the interface is harder to work out that your thought it would be.

I agree, I am being too judgmental and far too sensitive to the issues. I'm going to give it another shot and I'll probably enjoy it in the end, but I suppose most of my disappointment is that everything was changed from the first game in that respect. Also, I suppose this is Dungeons and Dragons here (and likewise, Neverwinter Nights here); we aren't usually talking the epitome of story telling. So when I'm having to deal with these issues for the first hours of the game, I suppose it hurts immersion that isn't exactly the easiest to get into.