The Dark Mod Forums

Create Blue Stain Glass Effect

The Dark Shadow

Hi,

I'm working on recreating elements from the dark mod gallery that were done with models and converting them into brushes. I've managed to create the windows from this shot:

beta5.jpeg

What I am attempting to do now is create these sort of hanging blue particles / light "spears" that shine from the window onto the ground.

Anyone know how to do this?

Regards,

DarkShadow

I'm working on recreating elements from the dark mod gallery that were done with models and converting them into brushes.

Why?

Sometimes models are the tool for the job. Such an exercise is like removing all of the Allen screws from piece of furniture and trying to replace them with nails.

Why?

Sometimes models are the tool for the job. Such an exercise is like removing all of the Allen screws from piece of furniture and trying to replace them with nails.

I'm not saying that modelling is bad or anything. Its more of a "it can be done with just D3 brushes as well".

Any ideas on my main question though?

Edited by The Dark Shadow

I'm not saying that modelling is bad or anything. Its more of a "it can be done with just D3 brushes as well".

Yes but not everything can. Just try creating a statue out of brushes.

Any ideas on my main question though?

I believe the light beams are a semi-transparent texture on a single planar surface. You could probably do this with patches (that may even have been how they were done originally).

Damn! OK then can I make a request that this "feature" is included in the final release then?

What feature? Animated textures or nonsolid models? Both already exist in D3 and have nothing to do with the mod.

A model would only fit windows of exactly the same size, so a prefab would be of limited use.

Problem is that that editor shot is from the internal thread that a beta mapper made and we don't have the map lol. Also, those are models, not patches or brushes.

Hey Dram, sure we have the map, at least I've fired it up before to check it out. I'd send it to you but it's on my Unnetworked laptop :(

And since releasing a map based on mod resources amounts to publically releasing those as well, mappers who want to continue to be beta mappers know better than to release their maps publically.