The Dark Mod Forums

Public Todo-checklist?

STiFU

Hey people,

I am checking the darkmod page for news on your progress very frequently and you're doing some great work!! :) But I was wondering whether you could post a public ToDo list here in the forums, so that interested fans can see more often what is going on... :) If you want to keep some things secret, it's still understandable though...

cheers,

STiFU

EDIT: To give you an idea what I mean here: A normal checklist that shows what you have implemented already, what you are working on right now and what has to be implemented in the near future. ;)

Edited by STiFU

It's an interesting idea, but it would be pretty time-consuming to keep it updated.

Personally, I can understand the request for such a feature as I know from my own experience how different the mod can appear to "outside people". The public fora with their relatively low post counts definitely don't reflect the actual mod activity very well and it may appear that there is not much going on (which is NOT the case in any way, believe me). The mod is a bit like an ant hill or a beehive in that respect. Just look at the global post count of the forum to get an idea.

Basically, I believe I could implement such a PHP/MySQL-based webapp in a reasonable time, if the team really agrees on such a feature, that wouldn't be much of a problem. BUT I am with Springheel here: such a list needs quite some dedication to stay up to date, and this may backfire and leave an even worse impression if the list is chronically outdated. I'd happily offer my help for keeping the list up to date, but that will not be possible for me all the time, as I can't keep track of every team member's progress. Perhaps we could add a single wiki page with write access for team-members only?

Hmn I see... But if it would be something everyone of you developers has access to to edit it, it would be possible I guess. Everytime one of you has finished something just put a "done" behind it. And everytime u decide on a new feature or something add it to the list. It would be really interestings to the ppl who can't wait for tdm to be released (like me) and of course it would be very practical to you guys too. A quick database... :)

EDIT: Saw your post too late. But that's basically the same I suggested. The Wiki idea is really good, because there is also the feature "recent changes" of a page. You can see even faster than what has been done in the last weeks... :) Very nice!!

Edited by STiFU

I wouldn't hold your breath about such a thing happening. Having everyone post what they've done would just be a chaotic list that half the time wouldn't make sense to anyone not directly involved in the mod:

--impulse control for leaning fixed

--default sound_bounce fx added to most moveables

--established working pause time feature for in game guis

--two new stool models added

--checked success.gui for timed events

--found problem with citywatch walk animation

--set offset variables for citywatch heads

etc, etc

On a positive note, there should be an update to the website this weekend.

To me it makes sense... And I am not involved either, but with a bit of gamedev experience or a basic knowledge of what has to be done and stuff like that it would be nice to read it... :> Anyway, if you think it's rather impossible just leave it as it is. I don't want to get demanding here!! Some more newsupdates on your mainsite would be really nice though!! :P

Basically, I believe I could implement such a PHP/MySQL-based webapp in a reasonable time, if the team really agrees on such a feature, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

No need to reinvent the wheel; just use the wiki. Much quicker to set up. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Compared to a lot of other mods out there, we're always updating. For the most part, we update once a month. November was an exception, but there isn't always something of major interest to post. Sometimes, we're just working on stuff that is under the hood interesting, but rather ...so what...interesting to the public.

Nobody but us chickens . . .

i didn't know there were many Louis Jordan fans on this forum

(i'm assuming that's what you were referencing)

Edited by slavatrumpevitch

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

I was actually already thinking about taking part in this. I can create static meshes, maps and music. But the problem is that my studies recently started and I really got no freetime at all anymore. Ascottk already knows about that from our T3-project "The Cabal", in which I am also taking part in. So first I'll have to help get that project finished, though my only help there was giving advice or just discussing features and stuff like that 'till now. University steals all my time... :(

On the other side T3 just pisses me off and I'd like to get rid of that shit and help with finishing this assumingly great mod. Perhaps in a half year or a whole year I could help. But as it is now, I'll have to drop you... :( Crap!!! Radiant is so much better than this crappy unrealED...