The Dark Mod Forums

Vista Will Support Opengl Natively Now?

sparhawk

I know it's old news, but I just found this by accident, so I repost it here for anybody who is interested.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34586

I consider this good news, even though I certainly wont use Vista any time soon. I haven't even "upgraded" to XP and there is even less incentive to use Vista, with all the overloaded crap it comes with.

Gerhard

Looks from the article like Khronos are providing the native support, not Microsoft. Still, this is good news. Hopefully the use of OpenGL on Linux will grow enough that manufacturers don't even think about abandoning support for it, irrespective of what Microsoft does.

Vista...gah...it looks like a bloated sack of crap. Oooh, pretty windows. Man, it would have been great if they actually did something truly revolutionary and ..oh..I don't know, stripped the thing down to the absolute graphical essentials. Sure, I want my programs to do pretty things...but please, just give me an OS that runs the programs...k mikeysoft? Leave system resources for my programs. Rant = over

To be fair, there are some worthwhile improvements in Vista. However, the new GUI crap is definitely not one of them. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Which features would that be?

-Constant and random product activation

-Genuine advantage (for the consumer, of course)

-Direct X10 monopoly by signing producers to exclude DX9 support in their products

-Purty desktop theme

-Bug fixes that should have been free downloads 5 years ago

-Enormous system overhead

-More old software won't work

-You get the privilege of transfering the license 2-5 times (can't remember what's most recent)

-If you want to go off line you get the privilege of talking to the support staff and explain to them why your system wasn't connected to the internet. And here is the feature: They might decide to allow you to continue using their OS that you will never own.

I'm sure there are more, but I am actually in a good mood on Fridays so I can't remember most of them.

I heard many of the same sort of horror stories before XP came out

And many of them are true. Windows Activation is a real pain if you have to reinstall, and plenty of people have reported having perfectly-legit copies of Windows arbitrarily disabled by WGA.

I heard many of the same sort of horror stories before XP came out

But did MS actually promise them? I understand the broken apps problem will occur with all OSes, but never ending, mandatory product activation? (That's MS's promise, not media speculation). Companies making exclusive DX10 games when there are others who have no problem supporting both DX10, and DX9? (Never mind that the Xbox can run games that 'only Vista' can support, or that Windows XP is supposed to have like 5 years of support left in it so it should get its own DX10) That's not speculation either. I seem to remember reading something about content protection as well. That there is very little you can do with certain DVD's, Cd's, etc. on a vista machine. I can't remember the specs on that though.

I agree that some will blow things out of proportion (I may be one of them), but Vista looks like a $400 desktop theme that has about 4 GBs of spyware included with it. (IMHO).

I've had about a dozen different pcs/laptops since XP and it's always been a snap for me. I don't know how many people had problems. I think Microsoft knows the market pretty well and won't screw it up for the next version. I won't be getting Vista right at the start but I'll probably get it after about a year.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Which features would that be?

Improved security, mostly (including a sandbox environment for web browsers - yes it's about time). Also user-mode drivers: Driver crashes will no longer cause blue-screens. The OS is capable of handling the error and restarting the driver without adverse affects on the system. It also means you can upgrade drivers without having to restart Windows.

There are also some minor niceties like scalable icons (which Linux has of course had for AGES), improved speech recognition and speech synthesis capabilities, a better task scheduler, and the list goes on...

I've never had a problem with XP, but I did wait and watch from the sidelines for a long time. I suspect I'll probably do the same with Vista: Drag my feet for as long as possible (until most new applications require Vista, like most new applications won't work with Windows 98 today) and only then take the plunge.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

You know that "disk image" backup process I came up with? Vista has something like that embedded in it. So rather than just install Vista, you can create your own install disc with all your apps already installed, and you just install one disc and you're back to normal.

I've never had a problem with XP, but I did wait and watch from the sidelines for a long time. I suspect I'll probably do the same with Vista: Drag my feet for as long as possible (until most new applications require Vista, like most new applications won't work with Windows 98 today) and only then take the plunge.

Ditto to all of that.

Improved security, mostly (including a sandbox environment for web browsers - yes it's about time). Also user-mode drivers: Driver crashes will no longer cause blue-screens. The OS is capable of handling the error and restarting the driver without adverse affects on the system. It also means you can upgrade drivers without having to restart Windows.

WOW! I'm impressed that MS managed to implement such stuff after seeing it for more then ten years on all kind of other operating systems.

There are also some minor niceties like scalable icons (which Linux has of course had for AGES), improved speech recognition and speech synthesis capabilities, a better task scheduler, and the list goes on...

Not to forget the fingeprint "security".

I still don't use XP as W2K serves quite fine. But I guess in a few years I will have to consider downgrading to XP. Would be nice if Linux would be strong enough by then, that I could get away without Windows, but somehow I doubt it.

Gerhard

WOW! I'm impressed that MS managed to implement such stuff after seeing it for more then ten years on all kind of other operating systems.

Quite. Still, for those of us still using Windows, they are improvements.

I still don't use XP as W2K serves quite fine. But I guess in a few years I will have to consider downgrading to XP. Would be nice if Linux would be strong enough by then, that I could get away without Windows, but somehow I doubt it.

Windows XP is fine if you spend some time beating it into shape.

• 1 year later...

I've heard vista 64 is amazing, I will eventually updgrade to that when I go past 4 gigs of ram, or maybe windows 7 will be released by than. :)

Also if you get OEM editions, theres no preloaded bullshit programs that slow you down and clog up space.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I've been really happy with XP, I have the XP key and I had lost the cd for install, so I downloaded XP install with SP2 off bittorent and installed it and it ACTUALLY activated! I had to do it over the phone, but the fact remains it still worked :) I'm also so used to where everything in xp is that I don't wanna have it changed at all, ESPECIALLY their retarded new start menu and how the computer always goes into standby rather than shuts off.

By the way.... What's this Windows 7 thing? Is it the successor to Vista?

Yes.

If so WHY so soon?

Have you seen those Vista reviews? ;)

Seriously though - Vista was released in late 2006, and According To Wikipedia* the best estimates of Windows 7's release are around late 2009, or possibly mid-2009. That's three years. Windows 95 and 98 were released three years apart. Windows ME (blech) was two years after 98. Windows XP was one year after that (three years after 98, and XP was the biggest upgrade since 95).

The five-year gap between XP and Vista was not the norm; it was an oddity caused by a development process full of direction changes and plagued with issues.

* I use this exact phrase every single time I quote Wikipedia as a source, so much so that it feels like it should be Capitalised In Italics. And possibly TrademarkedTM.

* I use this exact phrase every single time I quote Wikipedia as a source, so much so that it feels like it should be Capitalised In Italics. And possibly TrademarkedTM.[citation needed]

:laugh:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Don't get me started on those stupid citation needed tags. :P

wikipedian_protester.png