The Dark Mod Forums

Main Menu During Game

Springheel

Also I need a "return" main menu button and mouseover.

Just go ahead and use text right now..I'll replace it with a graphic later. :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-set fade ins to reoccur when disconnect

I'm not so sure about this one. The menu should use the current fade the first time you load the game, and should have no fade at all when you exit to the menu with a mission running. When returning to the menu from the mission failed/success screen, I think there should be either no fade or a very quick fade, but not something as long as the current 'start game' fade.

Certainly, but when coming from the *End Game* quit option (in other words to disconnect from map, I think it would look better with a quick fade in again. I got to fix all of the fade in's anyways since currently you can still click the buttons while they fade in.

Yes, a quick fade at that point would be fine, as long as it isn't as slow as the first fade at the beginning of the game.

I got to fix all of the fade in's anyways since currently you can still click the buttons while they fade in.

I think that's a good thing, don't fix it. ;)

It's nice to be able to mouseover a fading-in menu item and have it appear instantaneously, and be able to click on it. Means that you don't have to wait for the fade if you're impatient to jump into the game.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I don't think it looks glitchy. (Edit: I fired up the mod again to see, and now that I'm looking for it I can see that the menu items sometimes continue to fade in after you've moused over them, which does look glitchy - if you could just immediately complete the fade-in upon a mouseover, it would be perfect.) And it makes perfect sense IMO - if I want to be able to click on something, I need to be able to see it.

I guess I can't stop you, but I really like being able to skip the fading-in just by mousing over.

What does everyone else think?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I think setting it so that clicking the mouse skips the fade entirely is probably a good compromise. That way the effect is still there, but if you're impatient you can get right to the options.

But... but... that's a whole extra mouse click. :)

Meh, seems I'm outvoted, and it's such a minor issue anyway. So I'll shut up now.

I haven't commented because I'm not sure I fully understand what's being said here (the most common reason for lack of comment, I'm sure, as we are definitely not without opinions). It sounds like it's about wanting to be able to mouse over fading in menu options to make them appear, skipping a fade. If so, then yes that should be the case. It's exactly that type of "minor issue" (annoyance) that grates on users again and again over the years, and sticks in their minds, even becoming exaggerated in their perceptions to seem to be something much larger than it is.

A good example of that phenomena? WINDOWS. :) It is full of tiny little friggin annoyances everywhere, that make users worldwide say, "Yeah, real good Microshaft," or "fucking piece of shit" millions of times a day. Yet it's such minor stuff in the grand scheme.

This person's opinion (again, if I'm following right without going back and reading all the posts all over again) is that mousing over should cancel fade. Waiting a few seconds is trivial, but it feels like an age when you are agitated and just want to friggin' reload for the tenth time!

Waiting a few seconds is trivial, but it feels like an age when you are agitated and just want to friggin' reload for the tenth time!

What about the current proposal, that clicking anywhere would skip the fade?

Also, the fade only happens like that when you first start the game, so you wouldn't be seeing it after dying.

I don't have real strong feelings about this either way, but others might.

Right now, the fade in takes about 2-3 seconds all the time. If you move your mouse to where the menu options will appear (but haven't yet) they will immediately appear and you can click on them. I think Napalm is right that this looks a little sloppy. However, I agree that some people may be too impatient to wait the 2-3 seconds.

The compromise suggested was that you could click anywhere once the menu starts and the fade would stop (everything, including menu options, pops in immediately). This adds an extra click to the process for those not willing to wait, but I think it's a good compromise. If there is a lot of disagreement, however, we can perhaps do something else, but I have a feeling that this is probably the best way to displease everyone the least. :)

Oops, that was me. I added the file but couldn't commit it during the DNoS, and then forgot. :)

It's already committed. You'll need to update first. The only change was to the mernu music.

If you didn't update recently then you won't notice a problem. I added the new version of the song a couple days ago but forgot to commit it until today.

I changed the line that points to the song and the onTime lines that set when the song starts and stops. Nothing that should affect what you're doing.