The Dark Mod Forums

Just Completed Hl2

Fingernail

Really enjoyable, nicely emotional and sudden ending (avoids any soppiness).

The last levels were crazily enjoyable as well, and it didn't answer many questions (which I kinda like in films and games anyhow).

I thought the game was just really professional and well-made, nothing really seemed sloppy or maladjusted. Left nothing desired, really. Great art, sound, models, atmosphere, levels.

There were quite a few load zones, but until we're all using supercomputers, that's always going to be an issue.

More than anything else, it really seemed like a journey, gradually becoming more and more involved towards the end.

If you haven't played it (no matter what you may think about Steam :rolleyes: ), it really is worth a look, the game itself more than makes up for Steam.

If you haven't played it (no matter what you may think about Steam :rolleyes: ), it really is worth a look, the game itself more than makes up for Steam.

I sure will take a look at it, but I won't buy it because of Steam. Nevertheless I think the phycsics is probably much better then the one from Doom 3 even though it will suffice for our needs.

Gerhard

Not sure about that, I just think that Valve were really trying to show them off (many physics-based puzzles), whereas ID didn't really show them off to their full extent.

What I have seen so far from the Physics, didn't impress me really. From HL2 I have only seen Demos. It have to be seen if this is for real in the game in realtime.

The plate I already mentioned was scripted and there was no real physics involved. Or if so the script interfered.

And I did some test with a box that I found in some room. When shooting at it it didn't move very realistic. Or it was modeled so badly that it gave a much lighter impression that it was. From the visual feedback it must have been VERY havy but it looked just lika a paperbox.

And I found a small plate in some surgery room. It fell down all right, but when I tried to kick it, it also didn't move very realistic.

As I said. It is realistic enough for our game, but it is not THAT impressive so far.

Gerhard

Yikes.

Having just played HL2 for about 2 hours at my brother's place a little while ago, I can honestly say Steam is the only thing about the release giving me pause. Damned Steam! It seems like a fantastic game. Incredible, even. I found myself more affected by NPCs than ever before. I found myself picking crap up and throwing it around, stacking it, banging it about for nearly half the time I played - it was that entertaining (aside: talk about what T3 should have done with its physics - picking something up in HL2, inspecting it, and then setting it back down is natural and simple). I found myself running with the action as if I was there. I found myself thinking, "Valve can really put together a game, that's for damn sure."

It was interesting finally seeing the D3 vs HL2 debate topics from the front row. From my limited experience, D3 is the superior renderer in many ways. It's strong throughout. However, HL2 is perhaps stronger in a few ways (for instance, some of the special effects), while weaker in others (the lighting especially, lack of normal maps, etc). It's neat that both games look great, but do so by different means. HL2 has very flat plain buildings, but high poly chars. D3 has lower poly chars (for the most part), but very high poly environments. D3 looks more realistic by far (in most aspects), yet HL2 "does" more overall. Quite interesting indeed.

It also showed me that direct comparisons between the two *as games* are silly - they are completely different games striving for completely different goals. One is a scifi action novel, and the other, a horror action thriller. A ton of work obviously went into both games. And both have a bunch of merit in their respective pursuits, in my opinion.

Heh. Playing Doom3 last night, I had to stop because I got very badly freaked out and felt it was a good time to call it a night. Playing HalfLife2 tonight, I had to stop because I think I might have been becoming motion sick (for the first time ever! Man, I sure hope not), and I didn't want to wait and find out.

Edit:

Having just played another hour of D3, I'd like to change the following:

...but high poly chars. D3 has lower poly chars (for the most part)...

How the hell I ever thought that is beyond me. Now I wish I had HL2 to verify before I might have to re-take taking my words back. :P I believe HL2 has a few very high poly chars (mostly in the faces), and a lot of medium level chars, whereas D3 has... well, pretty much all very high poly chars.

Dunno what I was smokin' to think otherwise. Probably thinking of D3's heads looking more pointy, but the bodies are full of detail.

Edited by SneaksieDave

Playing HalfLife2 tonight, I had to stop because I think I might have been becoming motion sick (for the first time ever! Man, I sure hope not), and I didn't want to wait and find out.

Yeah, the game kinda does that. There is a pretty good fix though. Start the game with the console (either activate it in the control menu, which didn't work for me, or type -console in launching options via Steam) and type: "sv_cheats 1" followed by "fov 90". It increases the field of view to 90 degrees instead of the standard 75.