The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Flip

Thanks! I was not looking forward to the full process (at this time at least).

[Edit: note that everything below is before downloading the new build]

Who am I kidding about stepping off though... I'm obsessed. I think I just nailed one of these down to my relief.

Two doorway arches

Open DR fresh between each load of the map.

Case #1

1. MMB to pick up the right (yellow) arch texture (unsupported) and the coords,

2. Shift-MMB the left arches

Result: They become textured with the right texture, three stones high. So, it carries the texture, but not the coords. As stated. But it almost works, so it's tempting.

Case #2 (reload DR)

1. MMB the rightmost right arch to pick up the coords

2. Alt-MMB the rightmost left arch to paste the coords.

3. Shift-MMB to paste the texture (unsupported? user could also get the texture from the Texture Inspector)

Result: Texture is not transferred (if I understand correctly, this is correct behavior - Alt is coords only), but the coords are. Nice. Success!

Learned about user error: Alt is for coords only, and for now at least, shift and ctrl are not intended for patch-patch operations

Learned actual bug (I think): Alt is apparently not cleared for use again until DR is restarted (you hinted at this above), though there is some weirdness; I can copy each side of the arch, so I can get away with it twice, but as soon as I attempt a shift or ctrl-MMB, I can no longer copy coords with Alt. I don't know if this means it breaks the functionality, or if it breaks the patch somehow (probably the former). How to see this: MMB any of the brush pillars, then shift-MMB the arch. Now, texture coords can no longer be pasted from the other arches. Attempting to do so has no effect.

I'll make some official entries about this and the requests at some point today. :wacko:

Learned actual bug (I think): Alt is apparently not cleared for use again until DR is restarted (you hinted at this above), though there is some weirdness; I can copy each side of the arch, so I can get away with it twice, but as soon as I attempt a shift or ctrl-MMB, I can no longer copy coords with Alt. I don't know if this means it breaks the functionality, or if it breaks the patch somehow (probably the former). How to see this: MMB any of the brush pillars, then shift-MMB the arch. Now, texture coords can no longer be pasted from the other arches. Attempting to do so has no effect.

Not a bug, this is correct behaviour, because the content of the texture clipboard gets overwritten when you click on the brush to pick up the texture. For the Alt-MMB to work again, you'll have to MMB on the source patch again to pick it up.

It may be worth to point out that not the actual texture coordinates get saved in the clipboard, but a reference to the source brush/patch. It depends on the destination object, what information is drawn from the sources.

I don't even have to report the alt-MMB bug above. It seems to be fixed in the new build. Nice job! smile.gif

Glad that helped, I already committed the changes to SVN. :)

Not a bug, this is correct behaviour, because the content of the texture clipboard gets overwritten when you click on the brush to pick up the texture. For the Alt-MMB to work again, you'll have to MMB on the source patch again to pick it up.

Oh but that's what I mean; even with reclicking the source, I can't get it to copy the coords anymore. But anyway, that's 0.8.1. It's fixed now. :)

I made myself a small list of things to try out with this new one, to be sure I'm not reporting stuff that's been fixed already. Even with that single fix, things already feel better. Ahhhh.

Edit: and hooray for Flip X, Flip Y, the very point of this post! Just successfully made a fully continuous ceiling arch with it. ^_^

Edit: Oh man, this is beautiful. Hours of struggle yesterday trying to get one patch to pick up the same texture alignment as another has been replaced with three clicks:

MMB, Shift-MMB, Alt-MMB

Egads, yeah that'd definitely be something for my alternate machine. Will have to look into that. Is it possible to do automated drops (zips) after each build, or is that not practical? Something not public, so that you wouldn't have to worry about everyone using an interim build. It'd save me having to enter that world again... *shiver* Well, either way.

Setting up a build environment shouldn't be much of a problem, the installations of Scons, Python, TortoiseSVN and MinGW all go pretty smoothly (and an absolute doddle compared to getting CVS set up for the main mod). Given that you are the main tester it would be well worth doing this, as it will reduce the length of the fix-test cycle quite considerably.

SneaksieDave, we better continue the texture flip conversion here:

You posted these two images:

align5vb1.th.jpg align4kv9.th.jpg

But I still don't see what you're trying to accomplish here. In the first image (the 123456789 one) do you suggest that the texture should be continued on the second patch?

Agreed, it's better than in a bugtracker entry. :)

Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about - that it picks up some coordinate from the left patch and continuous from that point on the right patch, so the transition is seamless. Just as if they were two coplanar brushes right next to each other.

It seems the options are:

1. no alignment at all

2. mirrored alignment (this can be achieved by copying a patch and rotating it)

3. continuous alignment - only possible through having a special surface all patches can be pasted natural from, or the functionality requested here.

So yes, for this case, this can be done by just pasting natural both from the ceiling brush, but this is more for general cases not covered by this simplistic example. If there is no plane to take a suitable paste natural from, or the patches are different, or whatever else authors might come up with, being able to pick up the rightmost edge from the left patch, and continue it in the same direction, same orientation, as the leftmost edge of the right patch, that would be golden.

I'm planning to put together pics for the other thread which will present and inquire.

Edit: anyway this was about flipping, sorry for getting sidetracked. I'm not clear how the coords are not shifted on flipX or flipY. It seems like they're not. I'm trying to think of a test case to prove it either way; do you have one?

Keep in mind that we're talking about Texture Flip here. How is a flipped texture supposed to continue the texture on the right? (This is a thing that is covered by the Shift-MMB tool as described in the other thread.)

It's anchored at the origin in texture space, to be precise. Imagine an infinite plane of images with an origin like the cartesian x,y-plane. Now imagine a couple of points forming a polygon somewhere on the right half of the plane (these are the U/V coordinates). If these points are mirrored at the y-axis into the left half of the plane, you'll get what's called an X-Flipped texture.