The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod (question)

KhAoZ

not sure where to post this sorry if its in the wrong area (im new). thief TDP/gold Thief 2 the metal age and thief deadly shadows were some of the best games ever made. its kinda sad that looking glass studios went out of business. and eidos is done with thief (from what i hear). anyways i didn't really like T2X, the shadows of the metal age or whatever, that game was shit, it wasn't fun at all. most fan missions that i played weren't really enjoyable for me either. i was just wondering whether this is going to just be like one big fan mission or are their going to be real professionals working on this? what are the objectives of this mod and how much work needs to be done before a demo or something is released? again i am new to these forums, just came upon this site/mod yesterday, sorry if i did something i wasn't supposed to. thanks

Try the FAQ on the website (www.thedarkmod.com), and reading a few of the posts in the public forum. They will answer many of those questions.

anyways i didn't really like T2X, the shadows of the metal age or whatever, that game was shit, it wasn't fun at all.

You're posting in the right place, and constructive criticism is welcomed...but "that game was shit, it wasn't fun at all", doesn't really tell us anything. It's rather harsh...especially when there are members of Dark Mod who took part in making Thief2X.

most fan missions that i played weren't really enjoyable for me either.

In my opinion, that tells me that you just don't care for FM's in general.

Thief 2X is widely considered to be as close to a true 'classic' Thief sequel as we're going to get. There were many 'professionals' working on it, just because they aren't employed by a game company doesn't make them any less capable. There were published writers, professional artists and voice actors doing what they could in their spare time. I was a voice actor for T2X and I worked professionally as an actor for well over five years prior to doing it. Also, one of the Thief 3 level designers was one of lead designers of Thief 2X...doesn't get much more professional than that.

No offense, you just shouldn't be so quick to make assumptions...simply because you didn't like something.

As for us, you should learn what you need to know from the FAQ as suggested by Springheel.

We're not building a campaign yet, it's a toolset for the community to build their own FM's. My hunch is that if you didn't like Fan Missions, or T2X...then you're not going to like Dark Mod either.

I thoroughly enjoyed my T2X experience last year (last summer?). It was a bit late, but very sweet and welcome. It's just about the most professional mod ever released, not just for Thief but for any game!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

You're posting in the right place, and constructive criticism is welcomed...but "that game was shit, it wasn't fun at all", doesn't really tell us anything. It's rather harsh...especially when there are members of Dark Mod who took part in making Thief2X.

In my opinion, that tells me that you just don't care for FM's in general.

Thief 2X is widely considered to be as close to a true 'classic' Thief sequel as we're going to get. There were many 'professionals' working on it, just because they aren't employed by a game company doesn't make them any less capable. There were published writers, professional artists and voice actors doing what they could in their spare time. I was a voice actor for T2X and I worked professionally as an actor for well over five years prior to doing it. Also, one of the Thief 3 level designers was one of lead designers of Thief 2X...doesn't get much more professional than that.

No offense, you just shouldn't be so quick to make assumptions...simply because you didn't like something.

As for us, you should learn what you need to know from the FAQ as suggested by Springheel.

We're not building a campaign yet, it's a toolset for the community to build their own FM's. My hunch is that if you didn't like Fan Missions, or T2X...then you're not going to like Dark Mod either.

sorry i didn't mean it to be harsh first off and secondly i didn't know there were people from dark mod or thief 3 on t2x. i mean that game wasn't that bad on certain levels but the storyline was a bit confusing and i didn't like the voice acting. ex: the voice acting was very disappointing the way the guards talked, like they were retarded? see the voice acting in the thief 1, 2 , and DS was phoenomonal and it really made the game better and more fun. it was one of its strongest points. because T2X fell short on this, it took away from the game overall. i didn't like the way all the colors were changed, the hammers were maroon instead of red (as in the original game). the storyline (especially the last mission) was difficult to follow and wasn't very well explained. it seemed to me like the game was rushed to a release date or certain devs dropped from the project? i dont think T2X is comparable to the other thief games...just my opinion. . . thief deadly shadows was a masterpiece and very underated in my opinion however. i didn't like the things that were added in T2X, the new arrows etc, they should have left it classic. some levels were very well made such as the train, the mechanist station. Others not so well such as the pirates cove, first level, and last level (i forget the names), these levels were confusing (it wasn't clear what the objectives were and how to achieve them) and did not have the feel of the original games. listen T2X had a lot of potential i just think it was a rushed game man. dont take it the wrong way, im just trying to help.

PS: i wasn't trying to troll, sorry if it was taken that way.

Edited by KhAoZ

sorry i didn't mean it to be harsh first off and secondly i didn't know there were people from dark mod or thief 3 on t2x. i mean that game wasn't that bad on certain levels but the storyline was a bit confusing and i didn't like the voice acting. ex: the voice acting was very disappointing the way the guards talked, like they were retarded? see the voice acting in the thief 1, 2 , and DS was phoenomonal and it really made the game better and more fun. it was one of its strongest points. because T2X fell short on this, it took away from the game overall. i didn't like the way all the colors were changed, the hammers were maroon instead of red (as in the original game). the storyline (especially the last mission) was difficult to follow and wasn't very well explained. it seemed to me like the game was rushed to a release date or certain devs dropped from the project? i dont think T2X is comparable to the other thief games...just my opinion. . . thief deadly shadows was a masterpiece and very underated in my opinion however. i didn't like the things that were added in T2X, the new arrows etc, they should have left it classic. some levels were very well made such as the train, the mechanist station. Others not so well such as the pirates cove, first level, and last level (i forget the names), these levels were confusing (it wasn't clear what the objectives were and how to achieve them) and did not have the feel of the original games. listen T2X had a lot of potential i just think it was a rushed game man. dont take it the wrong way, im just trying to help.

PS: i wasn't trying to troll, sorry if it was taken that way.

Well, it took five years for many dedicated folks to pull off in their spare time...and hold down jobs. Sledge worked full time on T3 the entire time T2X was in development and still managed to hang in for the five years of development of T2X. I don't think it was rushed, there is only so much you can expect to accomplish with a project that large when you're doing it in your spare time.

Thief 2X was about a different character, they were able to go beyond Classic Thief. TDS on the other hand should definitely have stayed closer to Classic Thief, but it didn't.

Well you sure do come across as a troll. Loved Thief-Tdp Thief-Gold, Thief 2 The Metal Age AND Thief Deadly Shadows(Simplicity) Yet you despise Thief2x and do not like Thief FM's

I have seen games sold in stores that were utter crap compared to Thief2x yet Thief2x was developed by fans in their free time over 5 years. I give them great respect for what they accomplished.

I think they did a wonderful job.

Despise FM's do you ? Theres what over 1,000 of them all done by other Thief Fans simply for other fans enjoyment and let me tell you they are not easy to make they take a lot of work to do it well.

Thief Deadly Simplicities ? What utter crap that was. It is pretty much universally acknowledged that it just plain sucked.

I still think your a troll. I now remove the hook and swim away.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

Well you sure do come across as a troll. Loved Thief-Tdp Thief-Gold, Thief 2 The Metal Age AND Thief Deadly Shadows(Simplicity) Yet you despise Thief2x and do not like Thief FM's

I have seen games sold in stores that were utter crap compared to Thief2x yet Thief2x was developed by fans in their free time over 5 years. I give them great respect for what they accomplished.

I think they did a wonderful job.

Despise FM's do you ? Theres what over 1,000 of them all done by other Thief Fans simply for other fans enjoyment and let me tell you they are not easy to make they take a lot of work to do it well.

Thief Deadly Simplicities ? What utter crap that was. It is pretty much universally acknowledged that it just plain sucked.

I still think your a troll. I now remove the hook and swim away.

wow i just went to the T2X site and saw that they released a final version on 2/18/07. i feel like a total idiot lol. all the comments i made about T2X were about the version released in 2005. i will play the new version now. just for my information. whats different about the two versions?

wow i just went to the T2X site and saw that they released a final version on 2/18/07. i feel like a total idiot lol. all the comments i made about T2X were about the version released in 2005. i will play the new version now. just for my information. whats different about the two versions?

There is a thread about it at www.ttlg.com/forums in the fan missions section.

I haven't played T2X completely at the moment, but I started to play it. Some things were pretty good IMO. For example that ruined mansion in the beginning really was done so well, it reminded me a lot of the moments I played Thief for the first time. Other things I didn't really like. For example, there ere shadows, which were clearly shadows, but your character still light up in there. Well, it was said that this was a design decision to reflect that the main character is not such a well trained Thief yet. But somehow this doesn't work for me, because my experience is what I play, not what I read in the manual. If somebody shows me a screen bright as day and tells me to imagine it to be night, then it will not work and just hurts immersion. The choice of a hammer as the blackjack was also IMO a pretty bad decision. Every time I see that hammer and whack somebody over the head, I expect him to fall dead. After all, what do you imagine that a hammer will do to a head? A blackjack is a floppy device to reduce the actual damage and render a person unconscious, but a hammer, wielded like this, would have a very high chance of killing somebody. At minimum it would draw blood.

Apart from that, this were the only things that I didn't find so good. Level design is quite good IMO and story? Well, usually I'm not so drawn in into a story anyway.

Gerhard

Is the final version different enough to warrant another playthrough in people's opinions? I played through it once, enjoyed it a lot, but am not sure a final release is enough to make me play it again when there are still whole new FMs I haven't played. :)

Spar, in the 1.1 version they reset the shadows to be just as sensitive at regular Thief 2. It also sounds like you only played a mission or two? It gets better (to me it did) after that.

From the big update list of things changed/fixed, it sounds like it would not warrant another playthrough based on the update alone. Playing again for replay is another matter, but the updated things are mostly just fixes - fixed textures here and there, fixed stuff where people could break the game, fixed little minor details left and right, etc. You might not even notice the changes (other than the shadow sesitivity one, that's sort of a biggie).

Also the install and how it runs is smoother now, something you don't notice in gameplay of course. So, no, the update does not make it different, calling for a replay.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Spar, in the 1.1 version they reset the shadows to be just as sensitive at regular Thief 2. It also sounds like you only played a mission or two? It gets better (to me it did) after that.

Yeah, I didn't play so long. Don't haev time at the moment though. I remember that trainstation and that haunted mansion (which was really great).

I guess I will download the update before I play it again. :)

Gerhard

i agree completely with the comments made by sparhawk. yeah i read in the forums that the changes arent going to very noticable other than the shadows so... all my previous comments do apply. one thing that i really enjoyed about T2X, however, were the cutscenes. I feel that these cutscenes were the best part of the game and other mod crews could learn a thing or two from them. and btw Gildoran i think thats probably the case that i played very low quality FMs. so if some people could reccomend the classics/greatest FMs id appreciate it. i just reinstalled thief 2: TMA, so id be able to play some of them.

• 3 weeks later...