The Dark Mod Forums

Happy Birthday New Horizon!

Dram

Hey, NH! According to my watch, your birthday isn't for another hour & 17 minutes :laugh:

So in other words, it's just over the horizon. (Geddit? Geddit? Horizon, geddit? Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week... :laugh: )

Happy birthday!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanks everyone. :) It's a beautiful day here on PEI, quite unlike the day I was born 32 years ago, which I hear was quite the snow storm. Officially, I won't be 32 until 4:15 this afternoon..it's 2:50pm here now..so I'll pop open a bottle of beer to celebrate then. :) I'm so CLASSY!

@Spar: Sorry to let you down man. I'm getting old and crusty. The illusion has been broken.

I've seen my life change more in the last 3 months than it has in the last 6 years. I've shared with many within the forum, that my father passed away back in December. Despite missing him terribly, the experience has actually had many great positive side effects on my life. It seems to have pulled me out of a rut that I was in. I feel far more productive than I have in years. My world has opened up again. I'm successfully pursuing work in graphic design and I'm once again singing and writing in a rock/blues band. It's amazing how quickly our lives can change, and how effectively events can reinvigorate us and remind us that we have to take advantage of the time we have here.

Shortly after joining the band a month ago, I wrote these lyrics. The first verse is from my Dad's perspective as he approached the end of his life. The second verse is from my perspective as I watched him die that morning, and the last verse is who I am now. It's very personal, and I usually don't share things this close to me..but I think today I will shake things up a bit.

It's called, "The Last Time".

I'm weaker now than I have known.

My body more worn than my clothes.

Counting down each day is fine.

We never know, or want to.

But something tells me this could be the last time.

The last time I see your eyes.

The last time I see your smile.

The last time.

I feel like I've been hypnotized, by the stillness in your eyes.

Another day will come to rise,

but you won't see it and I don't believe it.

But something tells me this could be the last time.

The last time I see your eyes.

The last time I see your smile.

The last time.

Every breath I've ever earned.

Every thing I'll never learn.

Is of little consequence these days.

So why debate it?

Shut up and take it.

Not the greatest literary work to grace the world, but it means something to me. This is my first time trying to write original lyrics for a band...I'm sure I'll improve.

t's amazing how quickly our lives can change, and how effectively events can reinvigorate us and remind us that we have to take advantage of the time we have here.

I know what you mean. I got hit by a car in early January, got knocked out and woke up in the emergency station of a hospital. I got away extremely lucky, just a mild head trauma, some scratches and a minor fracture in my shoulder, I was even able to leave after 3 days.

Although I don't remember anything of the actual accident, I can remember distinctly thinking at one point "Why the heck am I dreaming? Just a moment ago I was walking home from work!" (which was what woke me up).

The whole event, and especially that memory, made me strangely calm and enthusiastic. It felt a bit like a small rebirth.

When my grandfather died I likewise felt 'new' and that I have to take advantage of the remaining time and people. And productivity rose. We were somehow very close, similar in many things, inventive and independent. His family history was industrialist with some nobility mixed in, he fought for Russia then for Germany, stole a German airplane, then crashlanded it, then got sent to America by Americans, then returned to Russia and sent to a Stalin concentration camp. And he refused to talk about any of this during the last days of his life when I visited him after lectures almost every day. I just wanted to record for posterity. Then he died in a house fire.

NH, "Counting down each day is fine.", that's when I thought this way: I can create a program for the Palm OS (low-res) where each black pixel would represent a pixel lived and white pixel a day remaining, and it would fit perfectly.