The Dark Mod Forums

Latest Bug Crop

SneaksieDave, I saw you opened a bunch of bugs in the tracker, thanks for that. :)

It would probably take some time (maybe till tomorrow evening) till the next build is ready for you, as I'm currently busy with the UIManager. However, if you have some "testing time" this weekend I'll look into the bugs right away as the UIManager is not that important. How's your schedule this weekend?

Sorry for the pile-up, I would've gotten them there yesterday in two stages but I didn't have them organized yet.

As for schedule, no rush, I wouldn't say change yours if you're already involved in something. Tonight I might try to find some inspiration in photos (I hate creative slump) and then maybe map a bit, and then tomorrow I'm not sure what's going on yet. I think (and hope) the surf inspector crash can be gotten around for now by not opening the choose shader button so that's not really a showstopper either.

No problem, it makes no difference whether these issues are dripping in one at a time or thick and fast.

Regarding the crash: I can't reproduce it, is this happening in a specific map?

Hm. No, it happens for me even without loading a map with the steps described. It looks like the crash is happening upon the second toggling of the dialog after giving focus to the ortho window instead of the dialog. And only if the choose shader window has been opened. So at this point, the shader line is populated and selected (highlighted), but the ortho window has focus - once that state is achieved, I get the crash every time. If I don't open the choose shader dialog, no problemo. If I manually type a word in the shader line, no problemo. Only after actually using the shader to choose a new texture (and thus populate the shader line) dialog does this happen for me.

It took a bunch of tries, but I did get the crash. The difference seemed to be changing focus to the ortho view before toggling the surface inspector off. When I toggled it off, and then gave the ortho focus, it didn't happen. But if I:

-opened it, picked a shader

-clicked ortho

-hit S (to toggle off surf inspector) and again to toggle back on,

I got the crash. I wonder if there's something about my frankenstein install. Are these SVN drops full zips, or just changes? If they are full, I could give a whole new install a try...

I followed your steps and still couldn't reproduce it. You could be right about the installation, although the last build I uploaded contained pretty much everything of the install/ folder, so I *think* it shouldn't be crashing.

Have you tried running DarkRadiant directly from the DOS command line. This way crash messages don't get lost upon closing of the GTK main window, perhaps there is some useful info there?

Well, then let's wait till I finish off the next few issues and then we'll look into that with a "fresh" snapshot. I'm almost sure there's something amiss configuration-wise / folder-wise.

Concerning issue #199: Hotkey to jump to selected texture in media tab

@SneaksieDave: Do I get this right: you want to have the Media Browser to quickly highlight and display the texture of the current selection, but you don't want to do this as soon as you pick the texture with MMB? Why not every time you MMB a target?

Good question. I don't remember. :blush:

Let me think about that for a minute, but I'm pretty sure there was a workflow reason. :unsure:

Edit: You know what, I don't think MMB was the workflow problem. I think it was that a left click in DoomEd instantly applies any clicked Media tab texture to a selected brush, which very quickly becomes extremely annoying (especially when Undo fails so often). DarkRadiant already fixes that by allowing you to LMB browse without applying, instead requiring you to RMB->Apply to selected.

So I *think* there's actually not a problem with MMB instantly seeking in the Media tab. I think...

• 2 weeks later...

SneaksieDave, regarding your crash: I want to make sure that no old configurational stuff is interfering with your snapshot build, so please check once again if there is any stuff lying around in your Documents and Settings folder. Move all of the files out of there, and delete those global.pref, local.pref and doom3.game folders they are obsolete since a few days now. You can of course save your user.xml somewhere else to restore your user settings afterwards.

If that folder is entirely clean, do you still get the crash? If yes, please post the last few lines of the radiant.log here.

Yep, that's what I did upon getting this build. I got a launch crash when I first tried it, so wiped the folder out completely. :(

I've now set it back up with the old files and reproduced the startup crash. Here's the log:

XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: D:/games/Doom3/DarkRadiantTest/user.xml
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: D:/games/Doom3/DarkRadiantTest/upgradepaths.xml
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: D:/games/Doom3/DarkRadiantTest/colours.xml
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: D:/games/Doom3/DarkRadiantTest/input.xml
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: D:/games/Doom3/DarkRadiantTest/menu.xml
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: C:\Documents and Settings\dw\Application Data\DarkRadiant\/user.xml
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: C:\Documents and Settings\dw\Application Data\DarkRadiant\/colours.xml
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: C:\Documents and Settings\dw\Application Data\DarkRadiant\/input.xml
GameManager: Scanning for game description files: D:/games/Doom3/DarkRadiantTest/games/
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: D:/games/Doom3/DarkRadiantTest/games/doom3.game
GameManager: Found game definitions: doom3 
GameManager: Selected game type: 0
Module Initialising: 'VFS' '*'
Module Initialising: 'archive' 'pk4'
Module Ready: 'archive' 'pk4'
Module Ready: 'VFS' '*'
libs/modulesystem/singletonmodule.h:95
assertion failure: module still referenced at shutdown
----------------
----------------

One thing I should ask - there is also 'Application Data/RadiantSettings/' etc. Should that folder still be there?

That last folder is probably from GtkRadiant, not from DarkRadiant.

Sorry for being unclear, but my previous referred to the Surface Inspector crash you're experiencing.

I will have a look at the startup crash as well of course. :)

Here's the crash log from the Choose Shader button on the surf inspector:

(*snip* a bunch of GL_ blah blah blah...)
GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control 
Definition not found: 
Module Initialising: 'imageloader' 'tga'
Module Ready: 'imageloader' 'tga'
Module Initialising: 'imageloader' 'jpg'
Module Ready: 'imageloader' 'jpg'
Module Initialising: 'imageloader' 'dds'
Module Ready: 'imageloader' 'dds'
[shaders] Unable to load shader texture: 
Module Initialising: 'imageloader' 'bmp'
Module Ready: 'imageloader' 'bmp'
OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = 32bpp
ToolbarManager: Instantiating toolbar: texture
OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = none
Module Initialising: 'imageloader' 'GDK'
Module Ready: 'imageloader' 'GDK'
Open file D:/games/Doom3/darkmod/ for read...failure
[skins] Loading skins.
DefTokeniser: no more tokens
[shaders] Unable to load shader texture: _default
brushDragNew
ToolbarManager: Instantiating toolbar: textool
OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = 32bpp
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/alphalabs/a_enwall13c
setShader
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/alphalabs/a_enwall20d
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/alphalabs/a_enwall21a
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/alphalabs/a_enwall22b

The crash didn't happen immediately, so I had to swap the texture a few times.

Ok, that doesn't help too much, but thanks anyway. I see that there is an "setShader" command in the log, did you hit Enter once you selected a shader from the tree?

On a positive note, I could fix the other crash with the user.xml you sent me. There was a "0" stored as game type value for some reason and I also fixed some other issues with the paths. It's loading now without crash, it just asks for the engine path as the found setting is invalid.

edit: still can't reproduce it, I tried every combination of hiding, focusing the orthoview, selecting a shader and showing again.

Enter? No, I just go into Choose Shader, click one, and click OK. At this point, the shader text has selection, but not focus (light bluish instead of dark highlight). Then I click the ortho and toggle surf props off and back on. Generally that gives me the crash.

Good on that other crash fix! :)

We can try the following: I'll upload a new build right now.

Please try to move everything from the current installation folder (I assume that is "DarkRadiantTest") into a temp folder (we might need some dlls later on). Now extract the ZIP into that folder and try to start DarkRadiant.

If it complains about missing DLLs, you will have to copy them over from your temp directory.

Does that change anything?

edit: snapshot is on FTP.