The Dark Mod Forums

Id Software (doom 3)

KhAoZ

so have u guys already asked id software for permission to make this mod. i dont know if u guys know but a lot of mods for a lot of games (most of them actually pretty good) have been and were shut down becasue they either didn't ask for permission before they made it or the company didn't want it. in certain cases, they even pressed charges on the basis of copyright laws... just thought id give the devs a headsup

so have u guys already asked id software for permission to make this mod. i dont know if u guys know but a lot of mods for a lot of games (most of them actually pretty good) have been and were shut down becasue they either didn't ask for permission before they made it or the company didn't want it. in certain cases, they even pressed charges on the basis of copyright laws... just thought id give the devs a headsup

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. End of story.

The SDK comes with a licence that allows us to make mods with it. I believe the game's EULA states this as well. There are restrictions (e.g. the mod must be non-commercial), but we're not violating any of them and don't intend to. :)

More than that, id software likes mods. As well they should, because:

* Successful mods and modding communities boost sales + exposure of their products

* Releasing the free SDK and promoting mods with it exposes people to their technology, which they will licence to developers to a fee (licencing their engines is one of id's big income sources)

* Mod teams occasionally produce standout mods, leading to the engine creators partnering with the mod teams to sell the mod commercially (don't think id has actually done this yet, but look at Valve's Half-Life and Counter-Strike for an example - CS was a mod, is now commercial as well).

* They sometimes find new talent via modding communities - a very few of the best modders end up working for the company whose engine they were modding (this is rare of course, given the large amount of modders and the small size of game dev companies).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The SDK comes with a licence that allows us to make mods with it. I believe the game's EULA states this as well. There are restrictions (e.g. the mod must be non-commercial), but we're not violating any of them and don't intend to. :)

More than that, id software likes mods. As well they should, because:

* Successful mods and modding communities boost sales + exposure of their products

* Releasing the free SDK and promoting mods with it exposes people to their technology, which they will licence to developers to a fee (licencing their engines is one of id's big income sources)

* Mod teams occasionally produce standout mods, leading to the engine creators partnering with the mod teams to sell the mod commercially (don't think id has actually done this yet, but look at Valve's Half-Life and Counter-Strike for an example - CS was a mod, is now commercial as well).

* They sometimes find new talent via modding communities - a very few of the best modders end up working for the company whose engine they were modding (this is rare of course, given the large amount of modders and the small size of game dev companies).

they do like mods and they want people to make i know. but u should at least email them or something and let them know. like blizzard a company that makes warcraft and starcraft series.... but companys like that that encourage mods have shut them down in the past becuase they violated copyright or didn't ask for permission or didn't give notification or whatever before they released it. and hey im not trying to be hostile or offensive or anything, im just trying to help this mod stay alive because i think it will be great.

they do like mods and they want people to make i know. but u should at least email them or something and let them know. like blizzard a company that makes warcraft and starcraft series.... but companys like that that encourage mods have shut them down in the past becuase they violated copyright or didn't ask for permission or didn't give notification or whatever before they released it. and hey im not trying to be hostile or offensive or anything, im just trying to help this mod stay alive because i think it will be great.

Its good of you to be concerned KhAoZ but I think the team looked into that stuff a while back IIRC. I know its been discussed before somewhere here.

KhAoZ. Id software does not ask mod teams to request permission to make mods, that's why they release the development kit in the first place. I am pretty sure we're going to be three years old next August...that's a pretty long time to be around, don't you think?

Aside from all that...what exactly should we be asking permission about? Our Mod is only 'inspired' by the Thief series. We're not using any copy protected content, or outright copying anything explicitly belonging to the Thief universe. Id software doesn't even own the Thief series, so why the heck would we be asking them for permission? The only company we would be emailing, IF we were using copy protected content, is Eidos...and since we're not doing any of that...there is no reason to be emailing anyone. We've covered our bases and done our research. So that's enough on that topic.

Besides, it could be effectively argued (if anyone mad enough ever imagined a case coming to court) that Thievery UT set a precedent as no action was taken against it, being similar in inspiration but again, no material was copied from Thief so it was fine. As will the Dark Mod be.