The Dark Mod Forums

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s Revealed

Komag

Dunno if this is for sure, but...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/772/772286p1.html

If that's not the dumbest name in game history, I don't know what is

EDIT - why the dumb forums ruin the all caps in the title? It's S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S as I typed it originally

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, apparently it's supposed to fit into the story.

I suppose these are all our local factions?

This reminds me of how disappointed I was to learn that the true meaning behind the J-Pop band's name SMAP is really "Sports and Music Assemble People". Dumbest acronym EVER.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

"I think Stalkers is a pretty cool name."

"Yeah, but let's put it in caps with periods in between. That looks major kewl on banners!"

Years later.....

"What? We have to make the letters stand for something? Shit."

Two points: 1. It's S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s, not S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. 2. The game is S.T.A.L.K.E.R., not S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. IGN fails at any sort of attempt at respectable journalism.

I want to know what the difference between an Adventurer and an Explorer is.

An explorer explores, but an adventurer seeks out trouble.

Reminds me of 'F.E.A.R'. Game devs just think up a cool sounding name and then rack their brains to develop an acronym for it. Honestly, why bother? FEAR would be just as good as F.E.A.R, STALKER would be just as good S.T.A.L.K.E.R, even better in my opinion. I had high hopes for Stalker, but knowing that's what the title means is making me second-guess myself. Maybe it makes more sense in Ukrainian or Russian or whatever?

Years later.....

"What? We have to make the letters stand for something? Shit."

Heh, yeah. If it isn't a backronym I don't know what is.

If I ever play the game I think I'll just quietly 'forget' that STALKER stands for anything.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'm honestly nervous as hell to put my good dollars towards this game. I had been very excited for it, but then again, all I've been hearing other than delays were how promises were being broken.

From what I've seen, just about the entire game is based around their AI system, and that's about it. After the disaster that was Gothic III, I'm just not so excited about dealing with another European developer; especially when the game is being marketed at a discount rate (because the company acknowledges that they couldn't charge 50 dollars?). I guess forty dollars isn't such a big loss in the end. I'll report on it when I do get it. I just can't help but have a sneaking feeling that I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Edited by Ombrenuit

I fell in love with this game when they first showed pics of it 5 years ago :wub: . Personally I think the story is very stupid, but I think it might present some fun immersive game play, which is why I'm getting it this Wednesday. I will let you guys know what I think of it when I've played it some more :)

Now with added S.N.E.A.K.! (Steak, Noodles, Egg noodles, And Krispy Kremes)

(What? I'm just hungry.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Mind posting a link or two? I'd really like to read up on what people are saying about it before I reserve a copy tomorrow.

Just read the news posts here. Of course those reviews are from "exclusive" paper mag reviews, so they may be a bit biased. I'd probably wait a day or two for some proper ones.

Also there's the Eurogamer review.

Just read the news posts here. Of course those reviews are from "exclusive" paper mag reviews, so they may be a bit biased. I'd probably wait a day or two for some proper ones.

Also there's the Eurogamer review.

Well, I can say that a lot of my faith has been restored by that Eurogamer review. I just love survival games. I just hope to god my nvidia 6600 can handle it...

Edited by Ombrenuit

You guys are harsh. What's with all the rampant bashing of a game im pretty sure none of you have played? Give it a chance for crying out loud. This is much better:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/...topslot;title;1

GS: Now that development on the game is complete, tell us what the most challenging part of the process was. Also, what do you hope players will enjoy most about the game?

OY: Our primary efforts were directed into implementing and adjusting the A-life system. Such a system has never been implemented in a game before. At certain points, we felt like the task was impossible to accomplish. Nevertheless, we did it. The A-life controls a vast number of characters in the zone and creates both background events and multitude of secondary quests.

Another bottleneck was combining the story elements with A-life, which is a dynamic system in constant movement. We found an elegant solution in story events getting placed inside the world, but until the player has interacted with those events new areas are inaccessible. Once the player has accomplished a story event, a new area gets filled. When you return to that level, there will be new, content and secondary tasks

Edited by Unstoppable

I'm honestly nervous as hell to put my good dollars towards this game. I had been very excited for it, but then again, all I've been hearing other than delays were how promises were being broken.

From what I've seen, just about the entire game is based around their AI system, and that's about it. After the disaster that was Gothic III, I'm just not so excited about dealing with another European developer; especially when the game is being marketed at a discount rate (because the company acknowledges that they couldn't charge 50 dollars?). I guess forty dollars isn't such a big loss in the end. I'll report on it when I do get it. I just can't help but have a sneaking feeling that I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Here are system recommended and minimum

Recommended: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 1GB RAM, DirectX 9.0c compatible 256MB graphics card nVidia GeForce 7900 / ATI Radeon X1900, 4x DVD-ROM, 128kbps Internet connection for multiplayer.

Minimum: Windows XP SP2 / 2000 SP4, Intel Pentium 4 2000 MHz / AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM, 10GB hard disk space, DirectX 8.1 compatible 128MB graphics card nVidia GeForce 3 / ATI Radeon 9200, DirectX 9 compatible soundcard

Mine is an AMD Athlon Xp 2100+(1.73ghz), 1 gig DDR ram, 128mb Geforce 4 TI 4800 SE. What I like about this game is it don't force you to get a Direct X 9 card. It don't force you to have the latest and greatest system. I'm willing to bet I could run this game just fine. If anything i'd add another gig of ram and a new video card. ^_^

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. does what other companies refuse to do. Tailor to a wide range of systems. It should sell good!

Edited by Unstoppable

It feels kind of weird, this game actually coming out now. It's sort of wrong, like it should always and forever be in development or something.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It feels kind of weird, this game actually coming out now. It's sort of wrong, like it should always and forever be in development or something.

I thought this game was gonna be vaporware. Now I just hope it sells sells and sells. I like companies who push the envelop. This is probably their best game ever. GSC Gameworld that is.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/company/inde...mmary;developer

http://www.gsc-game.com/

You guys are harsh. What's with all the rampant bashing of a game im pretty sure none of you have played?

We weren't bashing the game, just making light fun of the acronym breakdown and saying that we were "worried". There's a difference. :) I'm definitely interested to see how much of the original promise they've managed to pull off.

@Komag: I know what you mean. It's not quite as weird as Duke Nukem Forever being released, but we're so used to STALKER being "in the future"...

You guys are harsh. What's with all the rampant bashing of a game im pretty sure none of you have played?

Its not that we are bashing, but certainly we aren't hyping it as much as you are ;). I don't know. I guess most of us have gotten pretty weathered and cynical about these sorts of things. Expectations are almost always not met. Its not really a pessimistic view most of us have, but rather a realistic view.

I know my computer could play the game, but for me at least, there is a point where a game becomes unplayable simply because it lags to hell and looks like @#%!. Example? Neverwinter Nights 2. The interface was god-awful, the graphics hideous, and the camera angles made me cringe. On an high end system, maybe I would have given it a chance (well the graphics were still hideous, but with that much bloom, how could you tell?)

There are plenty of games that allow for play on lower end models, but there are plenty of low specs that I wouldn't call playable, or at least would be an embarrassment to. Half Life 2 could pull that off. Then again, they are a well known company with plenty of funding. This developer is on shakier ground is all. I'm happy its getting at least an 8; that certainly reassures me. I'm not expecting this game to blow my mind, but if it has an immersive atmosphere I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Hopefully its the experiment that tells developers that this kind of open-endedness can be done right.

Edited by Ombrenuit