Your 5 Best Games Ever

Aceyalone

OK, my favourite games ever are

1. Thief: The Dark Project

2. Omikron: the Nomad Soul

3. Super Mario 3

4. Unreal Tournament 2003

5. Half-Life 2

PS: Hell do you know how I can find a playable Super Mario 3 ROM? I have downloaded one but with the Zsnes emulator is not playable and I cant find anyother due to copyright reasons! Any help would be much appreciated

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Thief series (1+2)

2. Painkiller

3. Doom (1+2)

4. Half-Life (1+2)

5. Civilisation

But not neccessarily in that order. :) I also liked to play C&C (and similar games), and it's hard to say for older games as new opnes tend to "overwrite" the experience a bit. :)

Gerhard

OK, my favourite games ever are

1. Thief: The Dark Project

2. Omikron: the Nomad Soul

3. Super Mario 3

4. Unreal Tournament 2003

5. Half-Life 2

PS: Hell do you know how I can find a playable Super Mario 3 ROM? I have downloaded one but with the Zsnes emulator is not playable and I cant find anyother due to copyright reasons! Any help would be much appreciated

1)Deus Ex

2)Thief: The Dark Project

3)Command and Conquer

4)Final Fantasy 7

5)Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Some of you guys are cheating by putting 'Thief series' as one entry. They're two separate (and quite different) games.

For example, I have Thief 2 in my top list, but not Thief 1, and Unstoppable has the opposite.

Sparhawk actually managed to get 8 different games into his 'top 5'.

1: Baldur's Gate 2

2: Thief 2

Those are really the only two games that stand out for me and deserve a place, all the others that I quite enjoyed I couldn't seriously put in order of merit, but just t fill it out:

Favourite shooter type game: Far Cry

Favourite Strategy type game: Age of Empires 2

Favourite racing type game: Star Wars Racer

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ok fixed the prob!

Well I think too, that when we talk about a game we mustn't talk about the whole series, but its ok! You know what I have seen? that we are all fond of the oldest games rather than the newest!

Tham means two things: That either old games were not idea copies and they were far more innovative and taken extra care of, so as to adapt to gamer needs and stayed away of enterprises and beneficial purposes, OR that older games had time to hatch in our minds and stay longer in our minds so as to give us vivider memories...

I often thought about, why I don't find newer games as attractive as some old ones. Is it really because they were so much better? Or is it simply, because I was younger and not so critical back then? Maybe it's just because I'm getting older and cherish the older games as "the dood ole times"? I often wonder about that, because I know that, technically I should like the new games more. But on the other hand Painkiller is not SUCH an old title, and I still love it and consider it one of the most atmospheric games ever. So it really might be that the majority of the games is just shit.

Gerhard

Not in my case, BG2 and Thief 2 are genuinely two really great games. If I played them for the first time today I would still think them great.

The reason is that all modern games suffer from 'seen it all before' syndrome.

They're the same repetitive, stale genres you used to play 7 years ago, only with better graphics.

It just gets old after a while.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I haven't played many games recently, but here are some I enjoyed at the time they came out, from the last ten years or so.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I got this last week and it's the best Zelda game yet, and so probably the best game full stop.

2. Day of the Tentacle

Utter classic. Also taught me a lot of English.

3. Super Mario 64

First 3D game I played. Ah, memories, nostalgia of youth, etc.

4. Warioware Inc

4 controllers, 4 college students, 0 to do.

5. Little Big Adventure

Zany French game. Might be crap if I played it again now but I loved it at the time.

Obviously I'm not much bothered by anything that tries to emulate reality too closely. I like the whole universe of Thief but I'm not sure the individual games would get in on their own merit, they're more extensions of things I already liked (celtic mythology, steam technology).

1. Thief 2

2. Resident Evil 4

3. Final Fantasy VII

4. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (Every game since has been a rehash, and I can't take the formula except the first time I was introduced to it)

5. Diablo II

6?: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Edited by Ombrenuit

I'm of the opinion it's because we're getting older.

Not in that sense.

It's just that we've played the older games, which are the templates for current games, and therefore we're bored with the templates by now.

What we need to interest us are new templates, not new games based on the old ones.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Part of the reason why I stopped working on it. I lost interest due to the intransigence of the majority of the team to do anything even remotely innovative, or move the 10 year old stealth genre onwards in any way.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yup, I know what you mean. We are complaining about game companies doing always the same, copying old ideas, and we essentially do the same. :) But, well, that was the definition of the project, and we never claimed to do otherwise. At least not in a substantial way. But I think that work that we are doing here, could at least be used as a foundation for completly different games as well. So we will see what comes from it.

Gerhard

Well we can't be too innovative, or it wouldn't be Thief. The goal of this is Thief, with better graphics, and much improved features, like better AI.

I can still play old T2 FMs and have some of the most atmospheric game experiences ever, even rivaling and exceeding that of the latest games. So just taking that and improving it a LOT, is something that excites me.

Yes I agree with Domarius totally! Your goal is not to create a much innovated mod! Your goal is support the Thief community. And since we are talking the community of a brand, then the best way to achieve it is preserve the chilling someone is felling when playing the game!

Guys you do awesome work! Keep it going!

Well, it was never my goal, I have no interest in the Thief community at all, I think its all seriously geekish, a bunch of grown men being obsessed with an old computer game.

My initial work here was just as an outlet for my 3d graphics hobby.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yes I agree with Domarius totally! Your goal is not to create a much innovated mod!

I think I said exactly that. <_<

... But, well, that was the definition of the project, and we never claimed to do otherwise. ...

Your goal is support the Thief community.

Maybe that's YOUR goal, but certainly not mine. I work on this project because I liked Thief, and the project interests me and for various other reasons.

Gerhard

I don't always trust myself trying to rank stuff like this, but five games that have meant a lot to me are (the numbers to be taken with a grain of salt):

1. Thief Dark Project

2. Deus Ex

3. Civilization II

4. The Pawn (an old IF game that really captured my imagination)

5. Bard's Tale II

Honorable Mentions:

System Shock 2

Tomb Raider 2

Metal of Honor

Space Quest (and Police Quest ... and Quest for Glory for that matter)

Another World

Grand Theft Auto 2 (and much later, 3)

1080 (snowboarding)

VirtuaFighter (actually at the arcade in Austin)

Auto Duel

and a lot of the old C64 games for good measure (Tai Pan, California Games, Ultima, Project Firestart, Guild of Thieves, Hilsfar, Fist, Shogun, Wizball, Mercenary, Paradroid ... damn, as simple as all these games were, they tended to capture my affection better than games today can.)

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.