The Dark Mod Forums

Tremulous ?

thelvyn

http://blog.linuxmonitor.net/2007/03/tremu...e-game-ive.html

Anyone tried this out ? It doesn't sound all that appealing but people are saying its great. Wondering if it is worth downloading it or not.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

I played a couple rounds of this game the other night.

I don't need to dwell on what it's like to play as a human. If you've played pretty much any multiplayer first person shooter, you already know. You have guns. You run around and shoot the opposing team. It feels very much like Quake 3 with the exception that you purchase equipment and resupply from a central point.

The aliens are where things differentiate themselves from a traditional first person shooter. But aside from the wall walking abilities that some of the various classes have, they all primarily use melee attacks. I was a little dissapointed with that because you don't have any real control over the attack other than to say "hit the guy in front of you". Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who really enjoyed playing Rune.

I suppose it's too early to judge but so far I don't really care for the game. Maybe it's just because I kept getting my ass handed to me. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was because when you look at the scoreboard and see how many kills some of these guys are racking up, there must be some aspect of the game that I haven't quite grasped yet. Thus, I can't really enjoy myself because I don't really know what I'm doing.

At any rate, I played as the engineer class for both sides for a bit and I can say without hesitation that the aliens have lousy base defenses. They're defensive turret is this tube that spews acid within a certain radius. And supposedly it can be built on walls and ceilings but from what I've seen it just doesn't seem very effective. People can run right by it. They take a bit of damage but keep on truckin like nothing happened.

Now after the collective team reaches a certain number of kills, new classes and structures become available. This helps the alien team a bit as they can build these structures called trappers that will freeze humans for a specified time limit. This used in conjunction with the acid tubes is effective. However the problem is that the humans can build effective base defenses at the start while the aliens are kinda screwed until they level up.

Also, the aliens' base assault class is this tiny rat sized thing that can climb walls. The strange thing is that it doesn't make use of an attack button. You simply run into your opponents and it deals damage. I think I need to emphasize that you have to hit them head on for any damage to be dealt. I just found it kind of quirky.

I've also read that the game supposedly makes use of localized damage zones. Just to clarify I mean that if you hit a guy in the head it deals more damage than if you were to hit them in the leg. I wasn't seeing any proof of that during the short time I played but I assume it's there.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. If anyone manages to get the hang of it and would like to share I'd be willing to give it another go.