The Dark Mod Forums

tree model

mikebart

Hi, heres a tree model Ive made that I thought you guys could use.

In the .rar theres 3 .ase's;

1. poplar_base: tree with trunk and branches (no foliage)

2. poplar_foliage

3. poplar_full: tree model with full foliage

the poplar_full model is about 240tris.

You can add the 'poplar_foliage' model to the 'poplar_base' multiple times to create many tree variants. Im not too sure about the best way to aprouch animating the tree, I guess I could leave that up to you guys, the Ground Zero mod is using it aswell so im sure they'll make some improvements on it too.

Also ill experiment with vertex blending to try and get some more colour variation out of the leaves.

trees3aj7.th.jpg trees2qc2.th.jpg treesyh4.th.jpg shot00097el5.th.jpg

Download

It probably would need some LOD for that, as this looks to be a mostly a rendering or resolution issue.

you mean the AA stuff?, im getting this sort of crosshatched effect from a distance, i've just got a new video card and im not sore if its a normal occurance.

I think it's not really a problem. In most maps you wont see such distances, and even if you do, then there is a lot of other stuff around and the maps are generally much darker, so I expect that it will not be so bovious in a normal map as opposed to a sample map like this.

Gerhard

Yes, very nice, and badly needed. :) Could you use the same technique for smaller bushes?

That one has no trunk :blink:

Just kiddin, looks good. Trees and bushes are by far the hardest objs to make IMO. I've been working on a few lately too so I guess I'll hijack the thread...

I wanted to get the teams opinion before I go any further. I'm fairly happy with the pine, it's as close as I've been able to get so far to something realistic, and I'm kindof out of ideas on how to make it any better.

bcpineaf7.jpg

The bush is OK I think, kindof built it around the texture. The one in orange is just a quick z plane stretch to see if it might be better taller, it would need more tweaking.

bcbushih4.jpg

This is the T2 tex used on that pine, if someone could upgrade it to a custom 512x512 but basically the same thing, I could try it on the pine.

seqbrch1bo2.gif

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hs anyone checked out the trees in Oblivion.

They look pretty good and use foward facing particles for small groupings of leaves all over the trees.

I'm sure that's possible with DR too, but at what cost on performance, how to attach 100 particles to tree?

Not perfect but it does help give the trees a more rounded look.

Yes, very nice, and badly needed. Could you use the same technique for smaller bushes?

Yep, its basicaly the same technique as the ivy, which can be made into a bush pretty easily, except with this one i've made a few improvements which save on texture memory at the cost of a few extra polys. If you compare the diffusemap for the ivy and this tree you should see what I mean, the tree has less wasted uv space.

Im gradually going to be making alot more nature type assets for the Ground Zero mod and The Dark Mod, it would be great if you guys could contribute some of your nature assets to the Ground Zero mod aswell because they're badly in need of them too.

But I also want to make it perfectly clear that we will be releasing all assets to the community regually,

Im not really too sure where you guys stand on asset sharing between mods but I think it would benefit both mods.

That one has no trunk

Just kiddin, looks good. Trees and bushes are by far the hardest objs to make IMO. I've been working on a few lately too so I guess I'll hijack the thread...

I wanted to get the teams opinion before I go any further. I'm fairly happy with the pine, it's as close as I've been able to get so far to something realistic, and I'm kindof out of ideas on how to make it any better.

yeah, I totally agree about trees being difficult to make, i've made about 6 so far, gradually improving the workflow after each one through trial and error, you need good references, images found on google.com quite often are'nt enough to really grasp the shape and structure of a tree, it helps to have multiple photos of the same tree around that same time period, otherwise you might start mixing seasonal differences onto the same model wich can look quite wrong. I'd advise getting out and actually photographing some trees yourself, good references online are hard to find.

Also crack open call of duty or any other games you have wich have good trees in them and study the texture maps and how they are layed out onto a UV space, I learnt alot from doing this.

shot000134tp.jpg

this was my first tree model, I made it shortly after doom3 came out and I was quite proud of it at the time, so as you can see you're not doing too bad Badcogg but I think you'r pine could do with some more variation and some spiney bits going up the trunk, but I think you've got a pretty good looking tree there :).

Hs anyone checked out the trees in Oblivion.

They look pretty good and use foward facing particles for small groupings of leaves all over the trees.

I'm sure that's possible with DR too, but at what cost on performance, how to attach 100 particles to tree?

Not perfect but it does help give the trees a more rounded look.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5854

Im not really too sure where you guys stand on asset sharing between mods

I believe we're generally in favour of it, provided it's not one-way. :)

No particular reason to limit it to just trees and bushes, is there? I can't think of a lot of other things that we could share since the settings are quite different, but I'm sure there's something. Miscellaneous props, maybe some textures.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah for sure, theres probably quite a few other things to share, particually the natural environment type assets, but just keep in mind what I said about them being released to the public, when the GZ beta's get released.

Im gradually going to be making alot more nature type assets for the Ground Zero mod and The Dark Mod, it would be great if you guys could contribute some of your nature assets to the Ground Zero mod aswell because they're badly in need of them too.

But I also want to make it perfectly clear that we will be releasing all assets to the community regually,

Im not really too sure where you guys stand on asset sharing between mods but I think it would benefit both mods.

We certainly wouldn't mind sharing. Actually that's what we tried with the Heretic mod, but it doesn't work to well, because they don't want to share assets, only manpower, which has only a limited usefullness. Personally I think that sharing assets is much more effective, then just sharing manpower. I also don't really worry about mods looking to similar. After all, it depends on how the mappers use the art, and if the models are realistic, then they will be realistic in all environments. I see that certain specific models might not be easily transfered to different mods, but generic stuff like trees, bushes and al kind of textures, certainly wouldn't be specific for a given mod.

Gerhard

thanks mikebart, I don't think your first tree there looks too bad at all. I've seen alot worse in commercail releases. But your new ones are better overall.

I have been looking at alot of trees(not taking pics), when I sit in a drivethru or something, trying to study the overall shapes, trying to figure out where polys will go... If we could only use 5 million polys per tree :D

That sounds like you might be saying it's soon? So TDM assets would be out there before TDM is...hm.

Exactly, there's a good chance that will happen (not sure when) but im only talking about generic stuff like trees, plants, rocks maybe a few textures, but nothing unique to the game, the amount of darkmod assets that get released will depend on how many GZ uses.

But just have a think about it, maybe it would be a good idea to start a discussion about this in another thread, I dont know, maybe you could have a vote or something?.

I don't think that it would cause a problem if some of the assets are released earlier because the other mod would release soon. It certainly would be better if we get more assets by sharing, then by worrying that some of these assets would be released earlier then others. After all, if we incorporate their assets as well, we have the same situation. Some of the assets that we are going to use (the ones coming from them) would be released before TDM is released.

Gerhard