The Dark Mod Forums

On Belchers

Doc_Brown

Hey guys.

I know it's been a very, very long time since my last post here, but I just had to voice my opinion on the Belcher model. Frankly? I'm not a big fan.

Don't get me wrong, everything I've seen you guys put out so far has been outstanding, simply top notch. But the Belcher just seems so far removed from that. Mostly it's a matter of body shape, though I do have a few issues with the face as well. Here, it's probably best if I use visuals for this...

Now, this here is the Belcher model in question:

post-118-1178771545_thumb.jpg

And this here is the original concept art:

post-118-1178771557_thumb.jpg

See the differences? The concept art, which I really do like, has a much more rounded body at the back and stomach, whereas with the actual model the body is very nearly the same dimensions as the head and tail. Also notice in the concept art the larger, more imposing size of the mouth, and the rounded eyes, both of which the model lacks. The concept art has character; the model is... well, bland.

Granted, I've read the other Belcher posts on these boards, and it's been said that they look far better in motion, but until such a movie is released to the public I have to base my opinion on these still images. In the very least, please tell me they blow up like croaking frogs when they use their breath attack, as that would do something to break up the body shape and make it more interesting.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Fine <_< Just can't leave it alone, can't you ;)

Before texture work, & I was working on the AFs:

meaningoflifepg6.th.jpg

An early belch test (using pinky's sound effects)

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/models/as...belcher_gas.avi

& a rough version with new sound effects:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/movies/as...r_showcase2.avi

Now I'm working on a spoof when the belcher is on a talk show :huh: . . . it's part of my composition lessons working with digital audio & the belcher needs new sfx. When I'm done I might post it.

EDIT: I actually rigged him so he can distort his shape: the neck inflates, the "eyebrows" raise higher, the stomach swells . . .

Fine <_< Just can't leave it alone, can't you ;)

Constructive cristicism, my Corvallis cohort. :P

I actually rigged him so he can distort his shape: the neck inflates, the "eyebrows" raise higher, the stomach swells . . .

Well, consider me somewhat comforted, then. ;)

Somewhat. :angry:

j/k :laugh:

Or am I? :huh:

Yeah, the second video is sort of cute.

I'm still not the biggest fan of the body shape, but it's true that they look much better moving around, and it doesn't seem as awkward. It doesn't look bad.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Who cares whether they exactly match the concept art or not? It is concept art, not an architectural blueprint.

I agree that more of a separation between the body and head might improve the appearance, perhaps a "snakelike" head that widens towards the rear?

I think they look more "realistic" than the originals - that is, more like something that comes from our earth. Very lizard like.

I'm just wondering about that long tail - it would have to be that long for balancing, but I imagine it's going to clip through things very often.

I agree. The problem with the concept is that the angle of his body and the position of his legs make it look like the thing would be constantly trying to prevent his heavy head and arms from flopping forward. The concept also looks like something you may find living strictly under-ground, like a worm, while our version looks more adapted to outdoor conditions.

The concept art, which I really do like,

The concept art is pretty weak, IMO, and I told Ascottk not to follow it. The body in the picture doesn't even make anatomical sense, and wouldn't be able to move with legs like that.

I like the model myself. I really like the brown tex, not so much the scales on the green though.

I think the brown recolored would be better.

I also think they need a bit more detail in face, just seems plain, maybe all could be done in normal map.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I actually rigged him so he can distort his shape: the neck inflates, the "eyebrows" raise higher, the stomach swells . . .

Here's a quick pose with the morphing aspect of the belcher's rigging:

post-476-1178816544_thumb.jpg

I knew when I started these things that they'd be cute but I wanted a secret, fiercer side to them :ph34r:

I think the model is quite better than the concept. And yep, they're cute.

I don't think they look that cute at all in-game. Thankfully. They're predators, they're not supposed to be cute. :)

I don't think they look that cute at all in-game. Thankfully. They're predators, they're not supposed to be cute. :)

Lions, Tigers, Bears [oh my] are predators respectfully and can be considered cute. The face is the only thing making it look cute. I think, if you were to make it look more distorted, dirty, angry or damaged in some kind of fashion it wouldn't look cute anymore. But I think the cuteness makes it somewhat unique among games.

If the belchers are going to have the same gas-wave attack as burricks, they just don't look like they have the lungs for it.

If the chest was capable of puffing up before a belch, that would look pretty good, IMHO. It'd also give the player ample warning to get the hell out of the way.

If the belchers are going to have the same gas-wave attack as burricks

It's part projectile vomit, actually, so the lungs aren't the only thing involved.

Here's a quick pose with the morphing aspect of the belcher's rigging:

post-476-1178816544_thumb.jpg

I knew when I started these things that they'd be cute but I wanted a secret, fiercer side to them :ph34r:

Ah, now I am comforted. So long as you're going for the "Dilophosaurus Effect," wherein it looks cute and cuddly and harmless but can turn vicious (visually) at the drop of a hat, then I'm find with it. Tell me, as it's kind of hard to see in that image, but does the mouth stretch wider and the eyes distort as well? I really hope so, because that would address all three issues I have with the model.

Ah, now I am comforted. So long as you're going for the "Dilophosaurus Effect," wherein it looks cute and cuddly and harmless but can turn vicious (visually) at the drop of a hat,

That's always awesome.

@Spring - oh I thought it was just air, because of the slow speed it moves? I think I like ZBs expanding lungs warning.

Actually, to make the effect pronounced this needs to happen: more pronounced shaping of hthe skeletal stsructure with skin tightening, discolouration of green and attendant increase of grey on skin and dark brown around lips, eyes, etc, eyes increasing in area and teeth becoming more bare and more sharp.