The Dark Mod Forums

Interesting Interview about Fallout III

Arumakani

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78871

Seems the fellow who designed the Life Of The Party level in Thief II is working on it too.

Have any of you played Fallout or are interested in it? As I liked Oblivion and Bethseda are working on Fallout this interests me.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Interesting interview I'll read later. It's Fallout 3 you meant i'm sure. Anywho I did borrow Fallout 2 from my teacher back in H.S. Got past the temple but the temple was so boring that I didn't give the rest of the game a chance. I probably should.

I played Baldur's Gate 2 but found it a bit hard to understand. It just takes time with Fallout, and Baldur's gate games to get into them. Since they are really rich with text and story and the gameplay come second in my opinion.

• 9 months later...
Have any of you played Fallout or are interested in it? As I liked Oblivion and Bethseda are working on Fallout this interests me.
I am curious of what may come out of this, but at the same time, while I never touched the original Fallout (shame on me...), I know it was turn-based with a top-down isometric view. Fallout 3 is said to be first person and real-time. I am afraid we can end up with "Oblivion in a post-apocalyptic world", and we sorta have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for that already... I would have been interested to play a good turn based game, since those don't come out all that often.

Yes, it's Fallout 3 not Fallout 2.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Yeah I know, but can't change it to Fallout III.

Have you tried the Final Fantasy games?

Some more Fallout III stuff:

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1928/Fallout-3/p1/

Edited by Arumakani

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Have you tried the Final Fantasy games?
I loved the Final Fantasy games, but I am afraid my family is not in the possession of a Playstation anymore. At this point, we are PC-only, although we may rent a Wii and try it out, but it doesn't have any normal FF games, as far as I am aware.

Are those emulators or something? o.O

Interesting... I may look into it...

But, as I was saying, good turn-based games of that sort tend to be rare. I remember Fallout, Incubation, Heroes of Might and Magic (and various diversions such as Lords of Magic), Warlords, Silent Storm. Not many come to mind. Maybe I just don't know them, they don't seem to grow too popular.

I played that, didn't like it very much, I usually put it in the "HoMM diversions" section. Games like HoMM, Etherlords, Disciples, Lords of Magic, Warlords, and a few others, all very similar in gameplay base and atmosphere (phantasy... meh), and I was trying to find something else, like Incubation. Anyone played Incubation? It reminded me of logic puzzle games.

The only Final Fantasy I played was FF7 on PC. Don't bother unless you have an appropriate gamepad, because the controls are abysmal. They just took gamepad buttons and hooked them up to wholly arbitrary keys on the keyboard. (Mostly on the numpad.)

Between those and the mind-numbingly horrible gameplay (yes I went there - FF7 is mostly cutscenes and battles, and the random battles were extremely tedious), I didn't play very far.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Between those and the mind-numbingly horrible gameplay (yes I went there - FF7 is mostly cutscenes and battles, and the random battles were extremely tedious), I didn't play very far.

I got to the end of the first disc on PC before I quit. I'd liked the story enough to trudge through that far, but by the time I had to insert disc two, the monotony had caught up to me and I couldn't bear to press on.

I never played it. I'm sure it was pretty amazing back in 1996 or whatever. Funny thing is, it's one of the extremely crazy rare games that my wife AND my sister has played and finished!!!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I got to the end of the first disc on PC before I quit. I'd liked the story enough to trudge through that far, but by the time I had to insert disc two, the monotony had caught up to me and I couldn't bear to press on.

I left the starting city and went south over the mountain range. Couldn't immediately figure out where to go from there, and at that point my frayed patience finally ran out, so I quit. Never regretted that choice. :)

Wouldn't mind watching all the cutscenes in order sometime, just to fill the gaps in my gaming pop culture knowledge, but I wouldn't want to try playing it again.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

FF7 doesn't load for me... I set it to compatibility mode for Windows 95, still doesn't load. Black screen and I have to reset my computer since Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't function. Well, my favorite FF is X anyway, I should just get a PS2 emulator...

Wouldn't mind watching all the cutscenes in order sometime, just to fill the gaps in my gaming pop culture knowledge, but I wouldn't want to try playing it again.

My ex-girlfriend filled me in on the rest of the plot, along with most of the plot of FFX 1 & 2. Why are so many women obsessed with Final Fantasy?

More men are obsessed with FF, actually.

Maybe it has something to do with all these anime-style guys with white spiky hair? :D And all those love stories...

My fave role playing games have been FFVII and Oblivion plus a few others like Eye of the Beholder, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR 1&2...

However my fave games are adventure games with light roleplaying elements, though they get classified as roleplaying games: Shenmue 1&2, aswell as Zelda games.

Christ almighty, but you've got a terrible taste in games. I'm surprised you even like Thief, since it stands out a mile on that list of crap you just gave as your favourites.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Those games are fine, oDDity. I'm surprised you don't like them, kinda strange...

They're a list of the worst games ever made. People bang on about Zelda as if it's the best game ever made.

All the zelda games, and particularly the n64 ones which are consdiered the best, are clearly childish nonsense aimed at 10 year olds, and watching my 9 year old nephew playing OoT on the gamecube is like watching kids TV. I just find it irritating and so cute and twee I want to vomit. How the hell can that be any sane adults favourite game.

Both Morrowind and an Oblivion are total failures as RPGs, due to the lifeless, cloned world inhabited by automations, and only geeks and those Japansese weirdos ( the ones who also play rape simulator games) even recognise the existence of Final Fantasy games or movies.

NWN was a pale shadow of BGII, and no better than Dungeon Siege. If it wasn't for the multiplayer aspect it would be nothing at all - but you can't count that, since you're actually just making your own entertainment with multiplayer, the game is irrelevant.

The only one of that list Ill give him is KOTR 1, which was at least adequate, though had many problems.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site