The Dark Mod Forums

Creating textures for the darkmod

sparhawk

I like to model, but I'm always quite limited because I have to scour the internet and other sources to find suitable textures. One of my problems is that I'm colourblind, so I'm probably not very good at creating textures anyway, but now I decided to give it a shot anyway and see what I can produce. So I wonder if there are some good tutorials available beginning at exactly zero. The first step would be to get some good source material, so this is where I would like to start from.

Yesterday, I photographed a tree to get started with a treeskin texture. I know that the best way to do this is to do it when it is cloudy to avoid shadows. The last two months it was raining basically all day long, which would have been perfect for this. Yesterday was the first day when it was not raining, and promptly my photos got stray lightrays from the sun, rendering the images useless as a sourcematerial. I'll give it a try maybe tonight, when I get home, but it would still be usefull to get some info on what to take care of, and what's the best way to make shots for creating textures out of it.

Gerhard

Learn to tile. You can do that even with shadows if only for practice.

Offset the image 1/2 each way and use a clone tool to paint the seams to match (photoshop)

There is a way you can eliminate shadows, I don't have much time though.

Also, for objects learn to uvw map, then if you are color blind you can still do alot. paint a greyscale image (of course with Dark we don't need to paint shadows so this is an older method)

White for hilights, black for darkest of course.

Then a color overlay can easily be applied and your image will already have alot of depth.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

For tiling I found a plugin for gimp which makes it automatically. I think I found it via doom3world, and the effects are amazing. I have to test it and see if it is really automatic, or how much work you have to do to make it work. :)

http://www.manucornet.net/Informatique/Texturize.php

http://www.manucornet.net/Informatique/Tex...ze.php#examples

Gerhard