The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Preview: Ingame Video

New Horizon

Hello.

It has been awhile since we have indulged in a video, so we felt that now would be a good time.

Before you watch, there are a few things you need to take into consideration.

1. This was an internal video made by Dram, but we decided to package it up and release it publicly.

2. Everything you see is a Work In Progress. Nothing has been completely tweaked or finalized.

3. You will notice plenty of glitches. (particle effect issues, some footstep sound problems) We’re aware of them.

4. The AI are nowhere near finished.

That being said, we wanted to show you how far we’ve come. It has been a very long journey thus far, and we still have a long way to go if we are to make our 1.0 release date of December 2008.

Could we use help? Yes. Do we hope this video will inspire those of you with the required skills to help. Yes, we hope it does.

Ideally, we could use help from some experienced programmers in getting the AI up to speed sooner than later. We certainly have people with the necessary skills to complete the task, but if we can get it done sooner, then we will have much more time for tweaking.

So, I'll shut up now. Here is a lower res version of the video. If anyone can host a higher res version, please le t me know. The high res version is around 50 megs.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=504...90&hl=en-CA

Higher Res version.

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/files/TDM_BLACKHEART.zip

http://www.thirdfilms.com/random/TDM_BLACKHEART.avi

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! That's some really awesome stuff! It makes me feel so nostalgic; you've all done a great job at capturing the old feel (especially with that great ambience and music). I'll definitely be checking back to watch the higher resolution version.

I really wish I could help in some way (truly, to be involved in such a project would be a privilege), but programming a game is a whole different animal to me, and I'd probably be more of a bother to the other programmers than anything else.

I certainly hope the voices are WIP too :P

I was reminded of the Bonehoard during the first couple of minutes, infused with an atmospheric sense similar to the ‘Air Filled Tunnels’ in Call of Cthulhu. I hope that map makes its way into the 1.0 release package.

The music and ambient SFX are top notch. Props to your sound guy for the excellent work :)

Is it possible at the 1:58 mark to add an animation + environment manipulation to allow the player to brush aside the overgrowth that’s in their way w/ the sword?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I certainly hope the voices are WIP too :P

Yes. They're the placeholder vocal set for the programmers to work with.

Is it possible at the 1:58 mark to add an animation + environment manipulation to allow the player to brush aside the overgrowth that’s in their way w/ the sword?

Likely possible in some form, but I don't know for certain.

We don't want to get into discussing technical issues in this thread though, just enjoy the video for what it is. :) If we don't address such visual suggestions, I'm sure someone will after the 1.0 release.

Higher Res version available here.

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/

Please be gentle to my server :) (pair.com's pipes are big, but my pockets not deep :-D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Here a new direct link for the 48.8 MB version, feel free to update the main post :)

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/files/TDM_BLACKHEART.zip

I'll take a look at the large 300 meg version - if it's a marked improvement in clarity I may host it too.

EDIT - The huge version seems too dark, and I think it is clearer and sharper but the version above is pretty good already so I think I'll just stick with it.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Just downloaded the 50 MB version. Wow! That’s Thief 4 right there, Triple A quality nailed :) Cheers to whomever designed the Hammerite gears architecture at the front of the manse.

I seriously hope some of the team stay around after 1.0 release and put their energies towards a story campaign.

PS what was that croaking starting at 3:25?

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I really wish I could help in some way (truly, to be involved in such a project would be a privilege), but programming a game is a whole different animal to me, and I'd probably be more of a bother to the other programmers than anything else.

I'd encourage anyone who would like to help but thinks they're not good enough to apply anyway. There are sometimes little niggly tasks that need to be done and take a bit of time but aren't hugely difficult. It's a waste to assign the most skilled team members to such tasks, so it's useful to have other people available for those tasks.

If someone isn't good enough then they'll most likely get weeded out by the application process, so don't worry that you'll get in the way. Basically, the more hands on deck the better. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'd love to be a betamapper -- you can look at my area in The Chain Project T2 FM to see how I build -- but unfortunately my rig won't run Doom 3. The day that I get a new computer, hopefully not to far away, I'll apply.

I can still make models, though. This should be good motivation to finish off my lute and learn the ropes modeling. Maybe I can even learn how to animate them ... Lightwave can do that, can't it?

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'd love to be a betamapper -- you can look at my area in The Chain Project T2 FM to see how I build -- but unfortunately my rig won't run Doom 3. The day that I get a new computer, hopefully not to far away, I'll apply.

I can still make models, though. This should be good motivation to finish off my lute and learn the ropes modeling. Maybe I can even learn how to animate them ... Lightwave can do that, can't it?

What kind of system are you running? Doom 3 scales fairly well.

Inspiron 5100 laptop, XP, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.66 GHz, 384 MB Ram, Radeon 7500 video card.

I don't know that it can't run. I just found this quote (link) ...

System 2: P4 3GHz with 1GB of RAM and ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 -- DOOM3 runs in 640x480 low resolution with a 1-2 frames per second display rate; totally unplayable.

... and it made me worried.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Very Dark Project, I expected the Lost City to pop up behind a corner. All it needs are a few belchers. :)

The guards look a bit odd when they try to turn their heads and walk at the same time. They sort of stick their arms up as if they're doing some sort of dance. The monkey, maybe.

Really? Ok ... I'll at least get a copy and see what happens, then.

I originally played doom 3 on an AMD 2000xp(1.6ghz), 512mb ram, and a crappy geforce FX 5200. Ran fairly well on medium to low settings. TDM will run a bit slower since we've got more AI operations happening, but it should still be playable.

you guys, a Geforce 6600GT and even the crappy FX 5200 are way stronger than the ancient wimpy Radeon 7500.

Here are a couple links for comparison:

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Product%2...on%207500.shtml

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-106-2.htm

I seriously doubt Doom 3 will run on that, or if it does it probably will be the slideshow he quoted.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif