Dark Mod Preview: Ingame Video

New Horizon

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i love it! awesome effect with the pulldown branch secret door! i only have one complaint, and it's a pretty lame but, but here it is anyway;

I'm not a big fan of the 'pick up arrow' noise. would it be illegal to use the original thief 1 sounds for picking up loot (brrrringggg!) , and other objects (b'doomp)? or, if not copy them completely, mimmick them very closely? it's the little things like those make me feel very nostalgic, and their absence was really the only thing (other than hugely improved graphics even in the low res version) that reminded me that this it wasn't thief.

i know their are copy right issues, etc... but I really think that the pick-up object sounds from thief 1+2 should be very closely mimmicked if it's possible.

other than that, it looks amazing! keep up the good work, guys! I can't wait to get my hands on this mod (not that i'm trying to rush you), i'm just really looking forward to it!

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

i know their are copy right issues, etc... but I really think that the pick-up object sounds from thief 1+2 should be very closely mimmicked if it's possible.

That's what we tried to do, but to your ears we've failed it seems. :) We know the sounds we have gone with won't please everyone, but we're happy with them.

To answer the very first question, yes...it would be very illegal to use the original sounds. We wouldn't want to do that though, even if we could. Those sounds are rather highly compressed and wouldn't really fit in with all the higher quality sounds we have in the toolset. I know you said it reminded you that it 'wasn't' Thief, but that is just the reality of it...it isn't Thief, and can't be. Hopefully you and many others will be able to accept Dark Mod for what it is, a (hopefully) close relative.

Really? I thought the arrow pickup-sound sounded almost identical to the original, just higher quality. If it was my decision, I would without doubt keep it.

In addition, other things like the footsteps reminded me a lot of the original. With the exception of the footsteps bug and the placeholder voices, I felt the sound, music and ambience in that demo was impeccable.

I'd prefer the first half of the old Thief sound effect you heard when notching an arrow; the part where the little wood-wood knock is heard.

I guess we'll have to mod it in ourselves.

That sound is a placeholder. Wait until release before making any grand schemes to change everything. :)

Simply Awsome!! Even just watching this video was a pure pleasure (atmosphere wise). Really sweet!!

I think the problem with that pickup sound is just, that it's a bit too loud. A little more subtle and you're done... (Maybe lowering the footstep-sounds' volume a bit would be nice too) But that's really all I got to say. I can't wait to play the hell out of that game... =)

Looks great! Of course.

It's wonderful seeing everything put together like this. One day it would be really good to see a technical video of each gameplay element, just to illustrate how everything works in comparison to T1, 2 and 3. Like the rope arrow videos, but with lots more in.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

But spar - TDM is a toolset. It's not a game. If it were a game I'd agree, but as a toolset you must let the primary users, the FM authors, know what can and cannot be expected in-game. That way they can design maps with gameplay features in mind.

Take the rope arrow as an example - the videos show that it can be used to pull crates over. If a mapper didn't know this he might build a level with a possible entry into a warehouse via ropearrow into a crate. But you'd just pull the crate off.

They need to know this stuff.

Yes, it will be in the documentation but I think that videos would serve several purposes:

1. Mappers would know what to expect before considering TDM without having to trawl through the docs.

2. Players of FMs would know how TDM stacks up to the TDS engine and The Dark Engine - when the feature set is complete this is bound to get some pulses racing.

3. It just shows off what the TDM team have achieved and for publicity it would be great. Stick it on mod sites, you tube, news sites etc. We know how Crysis will look and play but everyone wants to see a video baby oh yeah.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

That's why we will deliver some playable maps. ;)

But I undertstand your point. It's just that I don't really like the idea that people will see TDM only as a mere Thief clone.

..but it IS a Thief clone. A legal Thief clone, not actually using any copyrighted ideas, but as close to a clone as you can get under that restriction. People also expect a Thief clone, so that's not a problem.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I agree, which is why I'm not hosting it either. The 50meg version is very good looking, and brighter anyway

And hosting the 300Mb version would kill my bandwidth even faster: :D

post-144-1193678145_thumb.png

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The video looks absolutely great. Incredible work guys.

A couple things though I'd like to ask/point out.

Why hasn't this video been mentioned on the main Dark Mod site? Usually that's where I check for updates and its been over a month since the last update there.

Also, if you still need more help for the Dark Mod, maybe you should be a little more aggressive with the PR and try and get your name out on gaming sites a little more. Your mod is at a very advanced stage, much farther than most independently made games I've seen ever get. Maybe you could try getting one of the big gaming sites (Gamespot, Gamespy, IGN, etc.) to do an article about your mod or an interview with someone on your mod team. Or you could even try to get mentioned on Slashdot for that matter (people with talent would definitely take notice if you were mentioned there). I think that there is a lot you guys could do to promote yourselves more and show the world all that you've accomplished so far and how close you are to completion.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the work you have ahead.

The video looks absolutely great. Incredible work guys.

A couple things though I'd like to ask/point out.

Why hasn't this video been mentioned on the main Dark Mod site? Usually that's where I check for updates and its been over a month since the last update there.

Also, if you still need more help for the Dark Mod, maybe you should be a little more aggressive with the PR and try and get your name out on gaming sites a little more. Your mod is at a very advanced stage, much farther than most independently made games I've seen ever get. Maybe you could try getting one of the big gaming sites (Gamespot, Gamespy, IGN, etc.) to do an article about your mod or an interview with someone on your mod team. Or you could even try to get mentioned on Slashdot for that matter (people with talent would definitely take notice if you were mentioned there). I think that there is a lot you guys could do to promote yourselves more and show the world all that you've accomplished so far and how close you are to completion.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the work you have ahead.

Thanks for the encouraging comments :)

I believe we've already had several interviews etc from memory, though I don't think we have with slashdot. It is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion :)

There's also the slight concern that huge exposure might bring TOO much attention from a large company that starts to get copyright paranoid.

I believe the mod is completely safe and legal and morally firm, and that the creators have taken a full measure of good faith and legitimate steps to make it so, but if Eidos or whoever said "STOP!" then that would start to get a bit scary. But maybe I'm the one being paranoid.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Aye. In the unlikely event that someone came around here waving a cease and desist notice, I imagine all we'd need to do is politely explain that we're not violating their copyright, and continue on our merry way without fear of any further corporate smackdown. After all, we're not doing anything wrong or illegal.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.