The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Preview: Ingame Video

New Horizon

I'm not concerned about copyright issues with Eidos, I think we're clear there, but how many free texture libraries, free sound libraries, etc, have we used? A lot of these things aren't licensed for commercial distribution, or have some clause that you have to get permission from the authors first. We'd have to go through and check absolutely every asset, even if Id did want to buy us and charge for it, even if we did think it was a good idea (which I don't).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Legally, you have nothing to worry about. As has been pointed out, just because this game is in the same genre as Thief doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, I just wanted to say again how amazed I am everytime I watch this video. It's hard to believe all the fantastic work when you compare everything you see in the video to what comes with Doom 3.

Trying to make money out of a mod usually ends up with really bad results - the only way it works is if a company picks up the mod and releases it for you (think GMod/TFC etc).

Anyway - on the topic of Steam etc, if iD ever did want to do anything; I think either a free distro via official steam methods - or charging enough for iD to cover release costs would be pretty cool (i.e pay for the bw etc.) All it does is give a larger crowd the oppertunity to play with it - but then you have to have a good few maps to release with it :)

La la la

Serp

My intuition is that it might not attract many more people that wouldn't find it anyway, in a more amenable form. What attracts a crowd is buzz, and I have a feeling that when this gets released, there will be plenty of buzz to all the people that are going to be interested. I remember T2X attracting a huge amount of buzz and bringing in a lot of new people, and that was just a campaign, a set of FMs (a BIG one, of course, but not radically new like a TC on a new engine). A torrent should be fine; then it's just a matter of getting the link to this site publicized. Once it gets listed on a few major places, it will spread fast. Internet is growing up; people know how to find the quality free stuff.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

We've got folks working on them...animators are not easy to come by.

Yeah, I definitely know how hard of a time people have to get animators. Just look at me, people actually asked me to work for them and now I work as an animator. (the point is, people is so desperate to get animators that they even employ someone like me) :laugh:

Edited by Denny

Wow, what an awesome video! If I didn't know better, I'd think I was watching an early sample video for Thief IV. :) Great work to The Dark Mod team and to Dram for the very Thief level design! :)

Thanks for the kind words :) I hope you'll enjoy playing the Dark Mod as much as I enjoy mapping for it :)

• 1 month later...
The video looks absolutely great. Incredible work guys.

A couple things though I'd like to ask/point out.

Why hasn't this video been mentioned on the main Dark Mod site? Usually that's where I check for updates and its been over a month since the last update there.

Also, if you still need more help for the Dark Mod, maybe you should be a little more aggressive with the PR and try and get your name out on gaming sites a little more. Your mod is at a very advanced stage, much farther than most independently made games I've seen ever get. Maybe you could try getting one of the big gaming sites (Gamespot, Gamespy, IGN, etc.) to do an article about your mod or an interview with someone on your mod team. Or you could even try to get mentioned on Slashdot for that matter (people with talent would definitely take notice if you were mentioned there). I think that there is a lot you guys could do to promote yourselves more and show the world all that you've accomplished so far and how close you are to completion.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the work you have ahead.

I submitted the site to Digg a long while back..

http://digg.com/software/The_Dark_Mod_A_Do...the_Thief_games

It almost had enough support to hit the front page (which would expose it to millions). I busted my ass trying to get people to sign up and support it, but unfortunately it wasn't enough. Maybe someone should re-submit it and have the fans here go there and digg it.

And my topic here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=4253&hl=

Edited by adamsucks

After the release, we can try to post it to slashdot. (well, someone with a slashdot account can)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 1 year later...

when i heard that sound in the end (when he opened the door) i expected too see thoose creepy twins fom the shining :)

AWesOME MAP!

theres no other words for it and it still looks like it will render smooth as butter wow WOW dram if anyone would turn down a job offering fromyou the would be stupid !

really great i cant wait!

when i heard that sound in the end (when he opened the door) i expected too see thoose creepy twins fom the shining :)

AWesOME MAP!

theres no other words for it and it still looks like it will render smooth as butter wow WOW dram if anyone would turn down a job offering fromyou the would be stupid !

really great i cant wait!

It has actually significantly expanded since that vid, and has also improved. The map will be released with TDM v1.0. I have to say, the only bothersome thing about creating a map is that you know where everything is.