The Dark Mod Forums

S/R Question, Problems, Suggestion/Request

Well I guess we're stuck with what we've inherited so will make the best of it.

If scripting is so easy then may we have as an alternative a list of relevant scriptEvents that already exist to change properties and a script template to call them. Then most of us can with a little help, insert the necessary into the template.

I see in our wiki there are

http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...ript_invocation and

http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...ng_with_the_SDK

both with TODOs so they should be helpful. That's probably the missing link that might make it work.

I need a set unfrobbable right this minute - I think Dave has already asked for this. I have an object that the player drops in a chest to complete an objective. Unfortunately, the player can then just take it out again. I targetted the no-frob zone that was already in the chest and that worked but then the player can close the lid and get it out of the side of the chest!

While I am a big fan of scripts and their power, I am also a big fan of "KISS". You shouldn't need to learn and write scripts just to change a property value at run-time.

I agree that it would be easier, but that's what why we have coders on the team. Mappers can kindly ask the coders to implement a scriptEvent, can't they?

"Normal" people (e.g. not people like greebo who have 50h per week to spent on TDM) ...

Rest assured, the time this will reduce to a few hours per month will come pretty soon. I didn't always have so much and I won't have it in the mid-term futuer. This is an exceptional timespan.

I need a set unfrobbable right this minute - I think Dave has already asked for this. I have an object that the player drops in a chest to complete an objective. Unfortunately, the player can then just take it out again. I targetted the no-frob zone that was already in the chest and that worked but then the player can close the lid and get it out of the side of the chest!

I can add such a response effect right now, if you want me to, just say the word. :)

So a bad design decision at the start (making the variables decoupled) is now worked around by "adding stuff on a case by case basis" because doing it proper is "too much work". Great :(

I don't believe it was bad design, simply a necessary design at the time. Tels, you were brought into TDM to work on Dark Radiant and help free up some time for the others to work on the main mod. This could be your project if you're interested. ;)

I can add such a response effect right now, if you want me to, just say the word. :)

Yes, please greebo. It would be the only practical solution for what I have set up at the moment I think. The only other option I could think of was a teleport swap! :)

Sometimes I wish they'd teleport me out and bring in a clone. This has been a fruitless day.

Yes, please greebo. It would be the only practical solution for what I have set up at the moment I think. The only other option I could think of was a teleport swap! :)

Done. Sync the mod SVN and check out the Response Effect list in the S/R Editor. :)

Hey that is seriously fast! Do you deliver pizzas too?

:D

Got it working - that's excellent Thanks greebo.

It was easy. You can look at the difference of the last revisions to see how it was done, in case you're (or anyone else is) interested.

• 1 month later...
3. problem: a possible issue I just noticed in preparing this post. The user is apparently not shown internal indexes. For example, I just set up an Activate Response for Frob (shown as #1 in the UI list to the user) and the S/R editor shows, "Activate the response with ID 0..."

Not a big problem, but if the user reads "1" while internally it's actually "0", it will likely cause some confusion for users. If it cannot (or should not) be forced to use 1 as the base, then I don't think there's any problem with showing the user lists starting with 0.

I just visited the bug report on the tracker (#420) and I think I misunderstood you the first time I replied.

The ID that is displayed in the response effect description:

Activate the Response with ID 0 on entity _SELF

does not refer to the # column shown in the list of responses on the left. It refers to the numeric Stim Type Index, which is starting at 0 (=FROB) and ends somewhere between 20 and 30 (STIM_BLIND).

So I guess something has to be fixed either way, because the wording causes confusion.

Also, I think you already filed a bug report where you requested that Responses could be activated by ID and not by Type, as multiple responses of the same type can exist on an entity.

I'll look into both issues, this should do it.