The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Pre-Beta Download links and discussion.

New Horizon

If an author wanted to have subtitles during the cutscenes, I think it could be set up pretty easily. Most of us wouldn't want them though, so they'd have to be optional, which could also be set up but a bit more work. But going by how often I've seen subtitles for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, I honestly don't see this happening much, maybe not ever.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another 'stealth' game that has the ai use latters is Dark Messiah.

although you can easily shoot the ai whiel they're on the latter and even kick them off when they get right to the top, i think it's more immersive to include the latter climbing behavior

possible workaround for the exploits may be:

proposition A.)

the damage taken when on latter si halved for the ai

if anything is blocking the top of latter (object ro player) it's automaticaly pushed to make room for the ai that climbed up or down the latter

proposition B:

it may sound complicated but requires a few simple formulas and circumvents all exploits encountered before.

this is a dirty programming trick, but what if you can teleport the ai to the top of the latter if the player is away from the latter the same ammount of time it takes the ai to climb?

for example, lets say the ai's climbing rate is 1 meter per second.

the player's running rate is 2 meters a second.

1. the player climbs up a 10 meter latter with guards following him.

2. when the player is on top of the latter, and is 20 meters away from its top, the ai is teleported to the top of the latter (with an animation of finishing a climb).

that way its impossible for the player to wait for the ai at the top of latter!

the same could be done when climbing down a latter.

what do you awesome guys think?

Hi,

I don't want them guards chasing me up a ladder. They never did that before . . .

I think your "proposition B" still would require too much work for the team, since it requires coding, testing, fixing plus making an animation.

Then the player still could use his/hers bow while walking backwards to the "sweet spot", triggering the guard intentionally.

Finally you forgot there could be more than one guard -- this could result in some serious telefragging and ruin the player's shirt. Who could ever possibly want that??

-

what do you awesome guys think?

We have already addressed this topic years ago. Too many exploits, too many ridiculous work arounds to get it functioning, too much extra coding and animating.... for too little pay off. Sorry, but the answer is still no.

We've gotten the AI to use elevators now, so lets leave it at that.

By the way, it's spelled 'ladder' not 'latter'. ;) I noticed you had spelled it that way in older posts too. :)

• 1 month later...
Hello everybody,

Just played the demo. I'm very impressed with the quality. Great atmosphere and challenging game play. :-)

Keep up the good work.

Glad you enjoyed it, give the editor a try now that you have the mod resources to play with.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

we aren't planning to be in a "near-finished" state until probably next summer, but you can do like Aluminum suggests and try out the editor using the Thief's Den files as a sort of "starter kit" :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 6 months later...

I've already stated how impressed i am somewhere else on the forum but I may as well abreviate it here.

YOU GUYS ROCK. YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A LOT OF PEOPLE VERY VERY HAPPY.

One or two suggestions. bear in mind these are only suggestions. I realise that you have been working very hard and cannot implement the whims of every excited fan.

one of my favorite things about thief 1 and 2 was the sword fighting. the way the guards took you on in a fencing stance, leading with their sword arm in a side profile and taking those wide crabwalk steps at you. the strange mix of comedy and realism is priceless. I don't know if this is practical in the Doom 3 but I live in hope.

My other suggestion I think may be easier to imlpement but might not be to everyone's taste. I think it would add to the game if you were unable to run backwards or in a side strafe (only forwards and diagonaly forwards). I think this would heighten the suspense and risk of running at full pace from one dark corner to the next as you are unable to keep an eye on the murauding maniacs behinds you. this also fits nicely with the real world. lets face it you would never run backwards down stairs.

that said I'de like to commend you on the great work you've done on manteling, rope arrows, AI scripting, modeling, textures, light sources, The DarkRadiant, voice acting, frobing ect... the list is endless. The doom3 engine is almost unrecognisable. Keep up the good work I have enormous faith in this and I hope it enjoys the same lifespan as all the thief titles.

You're in luck. :)

one of my favorite things about thief 1 and 2 was the sword fighting. the way the guards took you on in a fencing stance, leading with their sword arm in a side profile and taking those wide crabwalk steps at you. the strange mix of comedy and realism is priceless. I don't know if this is practical in the Doom 3 but I live in hope.

Ishtvan has been working hard on combat. It will actually be more in depth than T2--similar to Mount and Blade, if you've ever played that.

I think it would add to the game if you were unable to run backwards

You can run backwards, but it is slower than running forwards.