The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4

Unstoppable

Eidos Montreal is primarily going to focus games for the PC and next generation systems. So the PC will not be neglected and i'm pretty sure that Deus Ex 3 will not have a fubared engine.

Core concepts of Thief include the way the stories were told, advanced/comedic A.I., dynamic plot twists during in game, exploration and incredible atmosphere.

Those at the few that I can think of since I played the first Thief. What i'm thinking they should do IF the game was to be made (no official announcement) is core concepts of Thief, futuristic or medeival timeline, and mix in some of the SplinterCell aspects.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although one positive thing to mention is the success of a certain game, Assassin's Creed. No, game play wise the Thief series share essentially two things: hoods and setting. However, I did find some things very interesting when I read about this game--things I knew Thief 3 was trying to do. Firstly, the fully explorable living and breathing--not to mention enormous--city environments was something Thief 3 wanted to accomplish seemlessly, but unfortunately just could not due to the limitations of the engine. The success of this game could possibly sway executives to attempt a fourth Thief, but this will undoubtedly create both pros and cons.

Pro: Likely, the setting will remain the same. Medieval games are selling--and the only reason why they possibly want to change it is to ride the success of Splinter Cell.

Cons: And a very big one here. Console games are selling, and because Assassin's Creed was multi-platform, Thief 4 would probably follow in its footsteps. Also there's no telling how else they'll bastardize the license. They could turn the game into a Hitman-esque romp with burglary involved, not to mention make it strictly third person.

But I agree, Eidos will half-ass anything it touches.

What surprises me is that there are no 1st person ninja stealth games that handle stealth in a Thiefy way and incorporate Dark Messiah type combat with a ninja stealth slant. I'm talking about a game where you are a hired assassin that has to use ninja skills to break into castles and palaces and take out the target with the minimum of fuss. Would be easy to do now from a technical POV but just needs someone with the vision to create a workable 1st person combat system that is far more sophisticated than that in Dark Messiah.

I've posted my ideas for character skills progression in a Thief world that I think would suit both the larger gaming demographic and even the hardcore like oDDity, here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=6420

You could easily have difficulty settings that restrict any of those aspects and therefore the game could be as arcade-y and assassin orientated as you like, as pure Thief with ghosting requirements as you like or anywhere in between. Dark Messiah already gave us an example of how limited multiple character progression paths could work. It's fault was in not really allowing for as satisfying gameplay if you chose pure magic or pure stealth. Did anyone ever try fighting the Orc chieftain as a pure stealth or mage character? The problem was that the game was far too combat oriented - a Thief game would not suffer this since you always have the option of avoiding AI or, using the system I propose, taking them out in a more stealthy fashion.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

I actually played Dark Messiah as a warrior and after that as a thief and it wasn't much harder to kill the chieftain then. Maybe they altered the difficulty of him... But yeah, it's a real shame they didn't release the editor for DM, it could'Ve resulted in some fabulous FMs.

I think the reason why most of those ninja games are in 3rd person is, because they mostly involve a lot of jump and run elements, which are hard to do in first person for many players, at least for those who don't come from quake 3 trickjumping... ;) Also, it's much cooler to see the moves those ninjas actually do. In the end, a game like that is mostly for martial arts fanatics, who want to see how their Ninja rapes the enemies. On that note, I recently saw some preview gameplay footage of Ninja Gaiden II. Ok, there is nothing with stealth here, but I found it so hilarious that I had to share it with you... Perfect example for the dumb-factor of console games!

Anyway, I liked the Splinter Cell series, I loved the Hitman series and if thief 4 was some kind of mix of these 3 gametypes I must admit, that I'd play it... :)

I recently saw some preview gameplay footage of Ninja Gaiden II. Ok, there is nothing with stealth here, but I found it so hilarious that I had to share it with you... Perfect example for the dumb-factor of console games!

There is nothing "dumb" about it. It's just an action game. Why does a different gametype to whatever it is that "isn't" dumb have to be dumb? All this elitism is just boring.

Just wait till Deus Ex 3 hits, there won't be no half assing.

You have no way of knowing that...aside from blind faith. I had blind faith in Irrational games, and truly believed that BioShock would be everything they promised. It wasn't, and was in fact leaner than a lot of console games.

I will believe there has been no half assing...when I see Deus Ex 3 released, and that it has a full bodied...luscious ass.

You wouldn't be better off practising with a real guitar?

C'mon, humor, you know? :) Anyway, yes, I enjoy both. My Fender Strat which I was given 22 years ago (and if I didn't take my entire 20's away from it, I might actually still be good <_<), my classical (ditto that), and my free open source multi-platform GH clone, Frets on Fire, which I recently discovered from playing a free open source multi-platform DDR clone, StepMania. I'm pretty badly addicted to both games. And in fact, both games only fuel my desire to play the real instruments more (as well as building finger dexterity and hand-eye-brain coordination), and have even inspired me to do some programming for the first time in a few years, to write my own sightreading trainer for piano (I find the sightreading aspect - something I was never good at, before - to be most compelling). They're good games in the purest arcade sense -- just simple games, for a lot of fun.

I can guarantee that none of the famous sports stars you know of learned any of their skills from playing computer games.

The bottom line is that games are just mindless fun, but you try to justify it by thinking up ways that it might also be useful. It isn't.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Oh God just stop trolling. You are the grumpiest arse on the net oDD, I swear! :) Games are not a waste of time because we play them for fun and fun is important. If you find something else fun that's fine (most of us do), but come on - games are fun. You'll be telling us sex is purely chemical drive for the selfish gene and is not fun either next!

As to Guitar Hero - it too is great fun. It's not really like playing a guitar, no, but you can certainly learn good rhythm from it. I find the songs I know easier, and those I can play on a real guitar (black Hohner Arbor Les Paul oh yeah) even easier so there is certainly some sort of crossover going on, what exactly I don't know.

But ultimately you are correct - games, unless specifically educational, rarely teach us anything. The only real world examples I know of are a.those Japanese surgeons who play console games who have been shown to be better at laparoscopic work (and I know I certainly started off far, far superior to my non-gamer colleagues with laparoscopic hand-eye co-ordination, superior enough that I've had a consultant (attending for you USA people) ask me to stand in for a senior registrar (resident) with complex camera work), and b.that my knowledge of WW2 firearms due to playing Red Orchestra is better than it was.

Good cinema has the redeeming aspect of carrying a little culture with it.

I don't think gaming is there yet, but there's that potential as well ... and people in the modding scene can already start pushing it in that direction.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Oh God just stop trolling. You are the grumpiest arse on the net oDD, I swear! :) Games are not a waste of time because we play them for fun and fun is important. If you find something else fun that's fine (most of us do), but come on - games are fun. You'll be telling us sex is purely chemical drive for the selfish gene and is not fun either next!

I was just pointing out the amusing spectacle of watching people, both doing an activity which is a puerile waste of time, calling each other names because they like or don't like a particular genre with which to waste their time on.

The idea that people even take their mindless fun seriously and are prepared to argue over it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Playing games is neither puerile nor a waste of time you robot. Get a life. Learn to care about or feel for something. Just get lost until you learn to have an emotion or realise that the uncomfortable feelings you get in response to whatever it is that you care one jot about are (a 3D modeling app? I don't know) emotions. And whilst you're at it have a bath and put on some clean clothes. Sheesh.

As to Guitar Hero - it too is great fun. It's not really like playing a guitar, no, but you can certainly learn good rhythm from it.

Played it today. Awsome game... :D Seriously! Couldn't get my hands of that neat controller... :)