The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4

Unstoppable

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a job for you Unstoppable.

The Eidos forums are having a poll on their best series ever.

Guess which one needs some help from a certain psycho-fan?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74288

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You deliberately ignored the central point that there are no games that children are not interested in,
Well any game that could be classed as a hard-core sim, I wouldn't expect a kid to be interested in. Jet Fighter simulators like Falcon, MS Flight Simulator X, detailed war sims like Medieval Total War - they're very complex, take a long time to get into, and require a lot of patience - things that kids generally don't enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd have to agree, HL2 just didn't do it for me to be honest. I was a huge fan of HL1, it was the first game I had ever seen combine a great story with a fps and incorporate cut-scenes where you could move around.

I'm a majour half-life 1 fan, so many fond memories playing that game while eating french toast. It was my first fps game.

But no doubt that Thief Deadly Shadows is my favourite game.

TDS is a great game, no doubt, but have you played the first two? They are pretty old and dated graphically, but they have better gameplay and atmosphere than TDS in my opinion (and in most everyone here's opinion)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

TDS is a great game, no doubt, but have you played the first two? They are pretty old and dated graphically, but they have better gameplay and atmosphere than TDS in my opinion (and in most everyone here's opinion)

Well, the first two games might be better overall, but the atmosphere in TDS is much above them all. (IMO) :P

I agree that the atmosphere was better in TDS. To emphasize the fragility of life in their world, they took T1-T2's Sudden Heart Attack Syndrome (SHAS) and expanded upon it with "Deadly Water Syndrome," "Getting Irreversibly Stuck in Geometry All the Fucking Time Syndrome," and "Leaning off of High Places" syndrome. These really emphasized the cheapness of life and contributed to the consant fear of sudden death or paralysis.

Don't forget "Sudden Floating Syndrome", where upon hitting the ground, it would randomly not set your state back to walking, forcing you to float an inch above the ground until you could find another ledge to fall over. Since sufferers of SFS are incapable of jumping, those that landed in a pit would be stuck for all of eternity. On the bright side, moving at full speed without footsteps can be useful for sneaking. ;)

• 2 months later...
I think the reason why most of those ninja games are in 3rd person is, because they mostly involve a lot of jump and run elements, which are hard to do in first person for many players, at least for those who don't come from quake 3 trickjumping... ;) Also, it's much cooler to see the moves those ninjas actually do. In the end, a game like that is mostly for martial arts fanatics, who want to see how their Ninja rapes the enemies. On that note, I recently saw some preview gameplay footage of Ninja Gaiden II. Ok, there is nothing with stealth here, but I found it so hilarious that I had to share it with you... Perfect example for the dumb-factor of console games!

Anyway, I liked the Splinter Cell series, I loved the Hitman series and if thief 4 was some kind of mix of these 3 gametypes I must admit, that I'd play it... :)

I have to comment on the dumb-factor you're associating with Ninja Gaiden. I'm playing it right now, and I don't know who here has played it, but it is by far the HARDEST fucking game I have ever touched (and I'm playing on normal). It's an action game yes, but is it simple? Mindless even? Absolutely not. Each enemy requires a different strategy, you take about four hits before you're dead, and the game punishes any mistake you make in battle flow. I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to beat this thing.

Edited by Ombrenuit

I have to comment on the dumb-factor you're associating with Ninja Gaiden. I'm playing it right now, and I don't know who here has played it, but it is by far the HARDEST fucking game I have ever touched (and I'm playing on normal).

You talking about the new one just released or the original x-box/ps2 one? The new one isn't released in Aus yet but I played the other one (just called Ninja Gaiden) and, yeah, it was hard as fuck. It was still pretty cool though; I don't normally like Japanese games much cos they're weird but Ninja Gaiden was well done I thought.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

You talking about the new one just released or the original x-box/ps2 one? The new one isn't released in Aus yet but I played the other one (just called Ninja Gaiden) and, yeah, it was hard as fuck. It was still pretty cool though; I don't normally like Japanese games much cos they're weird but Ninja Gaiden was well done I thought.

I'm playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the PS3. Its the same game as the Xbox version just with some extras.

Edited by Ombrenuit

Making a game technically difficult does not stop it from being dumb trash.

It's simply inevitable, since the sort of autistics who are addicted to these games become so good at them, they have to be made more and more technically demanding.

It's still just dumb pretend-to-kill-stuff rubbish though.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Making a game technically difficult does not stop it from being dumb trash.

It's simply inevitable, since the sort of autistics who are addicted to these games become so good at them, they have to be made more and more technically demanding.

It's still just dumb pretend-to-kill-stuff rubbish though.

That's pretty much why I took to Thief. Not just the fact that the best way to play is not to kill anyone, but because the playing field the game presented was realistic and initially difficult enough without artificially or unrealistically ramping up the game's variables & stats. Obviously after the initial love affair we came to realize how toned down the AI was, even on Expert. Tis why I hope that TDM will provide mappers with some default values for "hyperactive paranoid bloodthirsty coked-up" AI guard variable settings.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Whut?? Somebody vote for Hitman!! Legacy of Kain before Hitman and Commandos, I don't understand the world... :)

The Legacy of Kain series is still one of my favorites. It's story may be a trifle convoluted, but it's excellent stuff. I can never stop playing those games and the voice acting was top notch.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

You deliberately ignored the central point that there are no games that children are not interested in, while there are many movies, books, plays and music that kids wouldn't want to have anything to do with.

I have a six year old son and there are a few games on my computer that he likes and a few that he doesn't like so that shoots down that statement. So what are you talking about? Just because it's a game doesn't mean kids will automatically like them. :laugh:

I've shown games like Quake 4 to my son and he ran away scared, same thing with almost every game rated for adults, he doesn't like. Just my take on the whole thing.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I've shown games like Quake 4 to my son and he ran away scared, same thing with almost every game rated for adults, he doesn't like. Just my take on the whole thing.

Same here. They are curious at first, but some games are simply not for kids. Either because they are to violent (the games, not the kids :P) or they are to boring for them.

Gerhard

6, yes, but just wait till he's 9 or 10. My nephews love games like GTA, Halo and MGS.

I know you're going to say that they shouldn't be allowed to have those 18 rated games, but that's not the point here.

The point is whether those games contain the sort of material that is appealing to children (once they reach a certian age of course, I'm not talking about babies or toddlers) and the answer is yes, because those are exactly the sort of games my nephews and their friends choose to play. They also play driving games, but only so they can go mental and smash cars up and run people over etc.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site