New release: 0.9.5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice, thanx orbweaver! :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ever the nag, Dave chimes in to ask, will there be a zip version? :wub:

Yes, the ZIP and Ubuntu DEB versions will follow shortly; I just wanted to get the installer up there so people could use it (I really should have done this last weekend in fact).

Just downloaded today but have a couple of issues.

Can the radius be shown for the selected speaker only (like a light) or only for all? Can't see a preference.

The entity list window defaults to a tiny view with a lot of waste space. When I drag it down it is OK but is lost every time I re-open DR. Previous versions were OK so I assume this is something new in 0.9.5post-400-1200936628_thumb.jpg

Can the radius be shown for the selected speaker only (like a light) or only for all? Can't see a preference.

Right now, it's only possible for all speaker entities. Can be coded in fairly easily (~30 minutes) I guess.

The entity list window defaults to a tiny view with a lot of waste space. When I drag it down it is OK but is lost every time I re-open DR. Previous versions were OK so I assume this is something new in 0.9.5entList.jpg

Yes, the paned position is not saved. This needs doing, I guess, probably embedded into a unified saving system for all Group Dialog members. Could you add it to the tracker?

For some reason I haven't yet figured out, DR.95 is failing to launch on my gaming system. Works fine on my work/test machine. This is completely new, have not seen anything like this up to and including DR.94 and the DR.95 snapshot of Dec 10.

I launch and am immediately told "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." By the message and immediacy of it, it sounds like something big is simply missing.

- I used the zip, not the installer

- I've deleted my configuration; it didn't help

- It terminates before a log is written

- DR.94 (.95 Dec10) runs right alongside of it fine

I did a diff of the two directories. Of course there will be changes (that's the point, eh? :rolleyes:) however, one big thing I noticed: hundreds of files in lib\locale are missing from the 0.9.5 zip. Is this a problem, or have they been culled? Also of note, xmlparse.dll, libxml2.dll and xmltok.dll are missing. Three files named dm_*.dll have been renamed to dm.*.dll. I think that's about it. I've attached a listing of the diff in a horrible useless format.

I also tried unzipping directly into my 0.9.4 folder, assuming something big (the xml stuff?) was just missing. Didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Edit: No, it seems the forum doesn't like text attachments. Well, let me know if you'd like the diff; it's about 36kb so I won't paste it here. I think I've covered the differences above.

Have you tried it from scratch, deleting and uninstalling previous versions and also deleting your local folder? Maybe just start with deleting your local folder in c:\Doc..Settings\Owner\App...Data\ (DarkRadiant folder). Dark Radiant will create it new upon new startup. Maybe that's what you already meant by "deleted my configuration".

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Well, I didn't blow away the folder completely, but I did empty it. Guess I'll try that when I boot up tomorrow. That said, I didn't have to do anything special on my work system, oddly enough. It just worked like it always has. I was wondering if maybe there was a config conflict, some change in formatting or whatever, but then deleting it should've gave me new ones. Hm..

I've never installed; always use the zips.

I'll have to check when I get home; I don't see why the ZIP would have anything missing though, because I created it the same way I did for the other releases (zip up the installation folder then remove the two uninst*.* files created by the installer).

@Dave: Have you tried unzipping into a fresh folder? The 0.9.5 release has been built using VC++ for the first time, so any old DLLs still present in the folders might lead to crashes.

Also, there is no harm done by the installer. It only copies the files into the destination folder, creates an "Uninstall" entry in Control Panel/Software and creates a start menu shortcut.

Yep, used a brand new folder, used no folder (let the zip dictate) and used a copy of my 0.9.4 folder, as if it were an upgrade. All give the same instant bombout. I think that's probably important - it's not beginning to startup, then failing; it fails immediately upon d-click. So something very low level is bad - I assumed it was the xml parsing, but I dunno.

The 0.9.5 release has been built using VC++ for the first time

I'd bet a dollar that's the culprit. My game system has nothing related to msdev installed at all. My work system (where 0.9.5 works fine) has .NET 2003 installed. Maybe some dependency is missing?

No, but I just tried it now on my work machine (where it's fine) and that gives no messages at all. :blink: I'm a little confused. So if I d-click the shortcut or .exe, I get the usual terminal console. The console shows some assertions regarding materials, blah blah, and then DR comes up. As it always has. But if I launch darkradiant.exe from a console (command prompt) directly, I get no terminal console at all, and no debug output to the console from which I launched it. :huh: Am I missing a -debug switch or anything?

Edit: On a positive note though, I guess I just discovered how to launch DR without that terminal staying up. ;)

The console is gone as of 0.9.5, you won't get that no matter what you do.

If the VC++ redistributable package doesn't help, I can assemble a package with an enabled console for you. But I'm fairly sure that it is something configuration-related on your system, it worked on all other machines so far.

Ah so it is, I didn't realize (so much for it being a bother huh :)). Then that's another change, I suppose, and perhaps another hint at what might be wrong. Thanks, I'll have to try the redistributables next time I boot up and let you know. Damn, I really hope this isn't an issue requiring some giant MS package, or someshit I don't have from not enabling automatic updates (which I won't). This is the very first time DR has not worked for me, so it's almost definitely this change.

Okay, before installing the MS stuff (I'll have to image my system before doing that so I'm trying to avoid it if possible; I'm also very low on boot HD space (700 Mb) so I try to avoid putting *anything* there), I checked my event viewer for relevant DR errors, and behold!

1. Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

2. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

3. Generate Activation Context failed for D:\games\Doom3\darkradiant-0.9.5\DarkRadiant.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

The "source" field for all of these errors is something called SideBySide.

Hopefully this indicates some useful hint? Which file it refers to, perhaps I can drop it in, or is there a way to compile without this dependency as before? If nothing else, maybe it suggests something needed in the installer?

It looks like some Visual C++ runtime is not installed on your system or something (those error messages are not particularly helpful though). I recall that some people had a similar problem even with older version of DarkRadiant (msvcrt711.dll or similar).