The Dark Mod Forums

What I've been doing for the past year

god_is_my_goldfish

So I'm now settling into LA, and I finally got the trailer up for my long belated short film debut, A Death in Progress.

http://www.deathwrites.com/trailer.html

It's an 8 minute comedy that follows the Grim Reaper as he tries to write out the last moments of a man's life, but can't make up his mind on how he wants the man to die. He keeps rewriting the man's death over and over, and each time the man comes back, and is forced to die an even more ridiculous way.

We're aiming at the Cannes film festival in France as our world premiere, so keep your fingers crossed that we get in!

You'll also see some awesome concept art on the site from a very talented fellow DarkModder (I'll let you find out who :) )

UPDATE: We made it into Cannes' Short Film Corner! To France!

UPDATE 2: We won a regional Student Academy Award for the midwest in the "narrative" category, now we enter into the national competition in May!

If any of you guys are in Chicago, there's a free screening of the film and the other winners at the Gene Siskel Center downtown, with a reception @ 5:46, and screening at 6:30.

Gene Siskel Center

164 N. State Street

Chicago, IL

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Hard to tell much from such a short trailer, but it looks slick enough from that fleeting glimpse.

I don't hold with the basic fantasy concept that Death decides how people die though, since it excludes any possibility of free will, and that's a no, no.

What did you do in this production? You're not Don Bitters III are you?

That's possibly the most pretentious name I've ever heard, but then, I suppose that's what the entire Hollywood movie industry is about, so it should serve you well.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well, I guess it's a cultural thing, it certainly isn't a normal one in the UK. Anyone with a name like that would regularly get the shit kicked out of them in school :P

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I like the idea and the concept, although I am not that happy with the guy playing the "dead man". (sorry :) Maybe you need someone more charismatic or with better facial expressions?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, I guess it's a cultural thing, it certainly isn't a normal one in the UK. Anyone with a name like that would regularly get the shit kicked out of them in school :P

That's why he's so damn bitter :) Don't worry oDD, with a name like oDDity you'd get the crap beat out of you in america too!

I think Tels meant 'the dead man' to mean the guy who is facing death. I feel the same, he's isn't the best actor, then again this isn't hollywood eh. I really like the reaper and his props, I think that part is spot on. I like the concept too, while like oDDity I don't believe it's pre-determined when/how you're gonna die (that leaves out the whole jack-ass equation) I think it's still an inntersting concept for a film.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think Tels meant 'the dead man' to mean the guy who is facing death. I feel the same, he's isn't the best actor, then again this isn't hollywood eh. I really like the reaper and his props, I think that part is spot on. I like the concept too, while like oDDity I don't believe it's pre-determined when/how you're gonna die (that leaves out the whole jack-ass equation) I think it's still an inntersting concept for a film.

What Baddcogg said :)

Yeah I like the idea and concept and the death is very spot on, it is just that the guy who just died didn't look too believable to me. With that concept I expected it to be a bit more "over the top" - but then, don't let me distract you :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find it funny... and I suppose that was the intent, but I disagree with the idea, so it wouldn't be anything I'd care for.

Grats on getting to Cannes, tho. o.O

And, hey, American schools are not that bad... compared to Ukrainian ones, at least... not bad at all. :P

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

• 3 weeks later...