The Dark Mod Forums

Probably the answer is out there...

Aceyalone

Hi all. Was off the forums for some amount of time. Still, I was always looking for the News on the mod.

However, news section hasnt been updated since 2 and a half months now. I know that the answer should be somewhere in the forums, but i cant search 3 month's posts. So what is going on with the mod right know? Are u guys up to something or is there a pause in development?

(Now I read again, I only hope what I said didnt sound offensive...)

I mean to update the page shortly. Since the demo, I haven't felt the need to keep people posted every month, as it's obvious we're not going to disappear now.

Something like a follow-up to the reception of Thief's Den is enough. Or even just copying & pasting Komag's post. For those of us pimping your mod to prospective development helpers, it isn't good having the last update over 2 months old, even if it was a major Alpha release. The fact is the date is the first thing they notice under 'News', and you have to combat the perception of the propensity of user mods being forgotten.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Something like a follow-up to the reception of Thief's Den is enough. Or even just copying & pasting Komag's post. For those of us pimping your mod to prospective development helpers, it isn't good having the last update over 2 months old, even if it was a major Alpha release. The fact is the date is the first thing they notice under 'News', and you have to combat the perception of the propensity of user mods being forgotten.

Dude, people have been busy. It's only two months after a major release...we're trying to concentrate on the work.

Just to clarify, it would be pointless to make posts like: "We've changed the head bobbing and behavior in water" Even though they are key elements the majority of people will be thinking "so". It's better to save up some of the great news and release in a bundle so the "so" becomes a "HOLY CRAP!!!! :D :D :D "

Indeed. Also, there is no rule against asking questions right here on the forum, if you wonder something. You may not get an answer, but you probably will. :) Beyond that, if droves of people from other communities are interested, they can demonstrate as such by signing up, chatting, maybe even lending a hand, and in general showing some interest. Give some, get some. Give none, guess what?

The preceeding is my semi-bitter opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of TDM or its other members. ;)

Dude, people have been busy. It's only two months after a major release...we're trying to concentrate on the work.

However, I agree that the perception of "alive" for a project pretty much hinges on the "when was the latest news post". It doesn't matter what it actually says, if one can't even manage to find 5 min every month to post up 2 sentences news, then it tells a lot about the project (mis) management.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

However, I agree that the perception of "alive" for a project pretty much hinges on the "when was the latest news post". It doesn't matter what it actually says, if one can't even manage to find 5 min every month to post up 2 sentences news, then it tells a lot about the project (mis) management.

I agree that the perception of one outside the forums and the mod might be controlled by the news posted on the website, but it's definitely not justified to speak of mismanagement. Springheel is always busy with some mod stuff and he is one of the main driving forces behind the mod, so I can't agree at all with that accusation.

I agree that the perception of one outside the forums and the mod might be controlled by the news posted on the website, but it's definitely not justified to speak of mismanagement. Springheel is always busy with some mod stuff and he is one of the main driving forces behind the mod, so I can't agree at all with that accusation.

I really don't see why you speak of "accusation". I simple stated a fact, if we can't find 5 minutes to post news, or find somebody else to have 5 minutes to post news, we have a time mismanagement problem.

Meaning, we can spend hours and hours doing silly discussions on the forum, just like this discussion, and still not find 5 minutes to update the webpage.

This wasn't meant as a personal attack on Springheel or anybody else. Lighten up.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Speaking of news, I started collecting the "major" changes in the file CHANGES.txt in TDM repo. The intent was to collect the items while they are fresh, so when release comes, we don't need to martyr our brains trying to remember what we actually all did.

Anybody can edit the file and add stuff there, so don't hesitate.

if we can't find 5 minutes to post news, or find somebody else to have 5 minutes to post news, we have a time mismanagement problem.

Why don't you take five minutes and write out an update entry then? Summarize what's been done in the past two months and select a few images for me to add to the screenshot section--I'll need a full-sized one and a 120x100 sized thumbnail for each, and I'll need to know who they belong to.

If you post it today I'll copy and paste it when I get home.

Well Tels' "5 minute" thing is just talking about writing out literally two sentences, which might be acceptable but I think the news has usually had a higher standard. It's nice to read some news, but sorta disappointing to keep checking the page only to discover two sentences and no pics or anything. So Springheel would have to invest 30-60 minutes preparing newsworthy news, which is more than just the time, it's the bother, the effort, the distraction, the disrupting change of focus, etc.

I'm just saying I can see it both ways :) But I do think we still need somewhat regular news updates, regardless of releasing a demo alpha. Maybe we should have some sort of rotating assignment, so like three people each have duty once every three months.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

For the record, I thought you guys had hit just the right pace by putting out a blurb a month (or about a month, plus a week or so). I totally understood why after a major release it would go for a while without one. But it's nice when, under normal circumstances, it's just a regular beat without thinking too much about it, no big fanfare, but nice to see what's going on.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.