The Dark Mod Forums

Cathedral i've been working on...

AluminumHaste

My local copy shows it as main repo, uploaded by you (or rather someone named AluminiumHaste ;)), in Nov 08.

Hey I did an SVN update but my cath map still has my marble textures...I'm not sure what's going on, what's your cathedral map file called? Is it in the main maps folder?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yep, it's cath.map. I think it's that it uses only your own local textures, not many TDM tex.

Oh you didn't commit your changes did you? Can you do that?

EDIT: Also I uploaded my textures, they're in stone/flat/smooth

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Lots of polys. Looks like it could be a killer map, can't wait to see this one when it's out of the door :)

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

Dude, I love you.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I don't mean to sound too critical here, but I think that place - although looking impressive - is too huge for some actual gameplay. Imagine you'd have to search every freakin' row of seats for some hidden loot... ;-) That thing is nearly as big as Peter's Dome!

Oh no, don't give him any ideas :()

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

The way these big cathedral missions often work, a lot of the gameplay is in the maze of rooms in the sides and underground, around the courtyards, and climbing around in the rafters and ceiling and on the roof ... and the big massive central area is mostly there to impress and intimidate the player. KotProphecies and 7SofMurcury both had massive cathedrals but still plenty of gameplay, so it's do-able.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The way these big cathedral missions often work, a lot of the gameplay is in the maze of rooms in the sides and underground, around the courtyards, and climbing around in the rafters and ceiling and on the roof ... and the big massive central area is mostly there to impress and intimidate the player. KotProphecies and 7SofMurcury both had massive cathedrals but still plenty of gameplay, so it's do-able.

Pretty much. Although frobber's cathedral also had the extra fun of creeping around on the edges of the exterior while buffeted by the wind.

(And finding invisibility potions and Builder knows what else there!)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Looks sexy. Just one question... Shouldn't there be builders patrolling around the sancturary and not the citywatch?

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I realize it's WIP, so this may be too early to be suggesting things. But one thing I think it could use is some trim on the pillars and walls in a darker texture, or something to that effect, so it's not that one continuous texture (making the tiling really stick out), and it gives it some dimensionality (distant walls are losing it) and just makes the space on those walls come more alive and enhances the gestalt effect, I think ... something like just a strip of darker texturing running up lines across the wall.

Looking at some Google images, I'm thinking of something like Salsbury's, but even Notre Dame has the trim, it's just in the same texture, but if it were in a graphics engine, where there's no shadow, I'd make it a darker color to stand out and do its perspectival job. Or St. Paul's style is another alternative. Anyway, you get my point. It looks great so far as it is.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Wow... I'd love to play that mission. That is a very pretty cathedral.

Can't think of anything else to say.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

I really like the direction this is going, visually I mean. Could turn into one of those ultra awesome Oblivion-churches in big. Here are a couple of suggestions/ideas from my side though, feel free to ignore:

• Walltexture: Better choose one with bigger Brickstones that tiles better. On distant walls you can clearly see repetitive patterns.
  • Beamtexture: The beam should not consist of single wood-panels but should be solid wood instead.
  • Benchtexture: The texture on the seat benches should be rotated by 90° and have a slight vertical offset in every row, so that no repetitive patterns can be perceived. This is also more realistic.
  • The projected light-textures and the windows: Since the light emitted by the moon is approximately parallel, the projections shouldn't be twice as big as the actual windows they originate from, at least not in a nearly orthogonal projection, like it's the case here. But since the effect is so nice, I'd just make the side-windows bigger (like a little bit smaller than the front windows at the altar). Also on such a big distance, dispersion should definitely kick in. Is it possible to blur the projected texture a bit from within the editor, or would you have to blur the texture itself and project that altered version?
  • Windowtexture: The emitted light is very very bright, which is nice, but it doesn't fit in with the window texture. A bright colorful stain glass texture would be swell!
  • Lightshafts: Maybe add some huge lightshafts to the windows! :-) (Those wouldn't even be unrealistic here because of incense)
  • Glassdome: I could also imagine a big glassdome over the compass rose, also projecting a nice light texture and emitting lightshafts of course.

Sorry, I always get hung up in my imagination and once that's the case, I tend to behave like an art director. :-) I am painting a beautiful bombastic monumental church in my mind right now. But I guess this will remain a dream, because at some point you will really have to watch performance I guess.

Edited by STiFU

AluminumHaste, the cathedral looks great and I can't wait to see it in game, but please, for the love of the Builder use compressed jpgs. It's taking 45 seconds to load this page with a 7MB connection. I saved one of the images as jpg so you could see the difference. Original was 2.1MB, the jpg is 166KB (less than 10% of original). 

post-2168-125657096816_thumb.jpg