The Dark Mod Forums

Randomly and procedurally generated terrain...

And then it will work in Dark Radiant? I thought you had to do some manual converting.

Nope, you'll get a token error on creation of entities or something like that when opening the map for the first time, but after that there's no problems.

The download link seems to go to Atomic Gamer and then nowhere. Can't find a download on google either.

I just tried both links and the converter one works, but you are right, the link on Gensurf's webpage is dead.

Here try these:

Q3toD3 converter

GenSurf

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

DR doesn't seem to recognize this format. It loads without error but there is nothing there.

Weird, it works for me, look at the first post. I'll try and write a walkthrough later on tonight, I'm at work right now.

Okay back to training.

Ah, I see the problem. I am using the stand alone gensurf but you used a plug in with GTKRadiant (which I don't have) then copied them to the clipboard and pasted them into DR. Nothing showed. Then you saved what appeared to be a blank map from DR and it adjusted the format and loaded it back and it was OK? Is that about it?

I was just saving from the stand alon gensurf

Ah, I see the problem. I am using the stand alone gensurf but you used a plug in with GTKRadiant (which I don't have) then copied them to the clipboard and pasted them into DR. Nothing showed. Then you saved what appeared to be a blank map from DR and it adjusted the format and loaded it back and it was OK? Is that about it?

I was just saving from the stand alon gensurf

LOL what?? haha you are so lost man.

Step 1: Open GenSurf and create whatever you want. Set the format to Quake 3 on the left side of the first Tab. Type in a name for your map (output file).

Step 2: Click on the button "Write Map". (I think it's called this) on the top right of the first tab in GenSurf (By default the map will be saved to the same directory as GenSurf)

Step 3: Open Q3toD3, and open the options windows. Here you will have to input the directory of Doom 3, I have Quake 3 installed so I also put that in. I'm not sure what will happen if you don't specify the Quake 3 dir.

Step 4: Click on the "Options" button and un-select all the options

Step 5: Click the "Add Files" button ( I think it's called this) and browse to the map that you created with GenSurf.

Step 6: Click the "Add File" button and it will be added to the main Q3toD3 window.

Step 7: Close the "Add Files" window and click the "Convert" button. It will show you the progress of the conversion in the window.

Step 8: Open DarkRadiant and go to File->Open... Browse to your Doom3 folder and go to base\maps and find the map that was just converted.

Step 9: Click "Open" and it will load in DarkRadiant. When it's done you will get an error about tokens, just ignore this. The terrain should be there.

Now you should be done, your Quake3Arena terrain is now playable in Doom3/DarkMod.

Good luck.

It looks like step 3 converting to is what you missed out before! This is why I asked about how is it converted.

OK, just downloaded q3d3 and will check it later.

Ah, I thought I put that link up when you asked......

Yup I guess you just missed it, or I wasn't clear about what was needed: Post #25

Ah I see. At that time I was thinking of these terrains in some form that goes into a map like a prefab and a quake3 to doom3 map convertor I was thinking was just for converting full levels to doom so I didn't even take any notice of that! :laugh:

OK, got it working now. It's produced it as a series of brushes in a func_group entity. How would I make it produce it as patches? And what are the pros and cons of a func_group versus a func_static?

Ah I see. At that time I was thinking of these terrains in some form that goes into a map like a prefab and a quake3 to doom3 map convertor I was thinking was just for converting full levels to doom so I didn't even take any notice of that! :laugh:

OK, got it working now. It's produced it as a series of brushes in a func_group entity. How would I make it produce it as patches? And what are the pros and cons of a func_group versus a func_static?

It should have done it as patches by default. Open GenSurf and under the "Extents" tab there should be a checkbox that says something about useing patches.

Yeah - got it just after I posted!

Yes, this is excellent! Tooks me some time to figure out the way it works but this looks really useful! It complained about not finding Quake installed but I just told it to shut up and it continued. It basically wanted to get textures from there I think.

What is the basic path layout for quake? Maybe if I make up a dummy install and put in say caulk it might save it nagging it can't find it. Not important though.

Nice find anyway AH

Yeah - got it just after I posted!

Yes, this is excellent! Tooks me some time to figure out the way it works but this looks really useful! It complained about not finding Quake installed but I just told it to shut up and it continued. It basically wanted to get textures from there I think.

What is the basic path layout for quake? Maybe if I make up a dummy install and put in say caulk it might save it nagging it can't find it. Not important though.

Nice find anyway AH

You tell it what texture to use for the conversion in the options menu of Q3toD3.

I just made a cave map that's only 2048x2048x1024, but the ceiling and floor consist of 50 patches, with 1,255 faces which comes to 61,250 faces for just the terrain, so it's taking forever to compile. (When I say forever I am usually exaggerating, forever just means more than 3 or 4 minutes)

So I converted the patches into several func_statics and this reduced the compile time to.........37 seconds :)

Cool:

widewg2.th.jpg

Interesting - is that two outputs from surfgen one on top of one another?

Yes, that test I did the dmap took a hell of a while and what is worse, while it is processing those patches there is no output for a long time in the console so it looks like it has maybe crashed.

Yes, that test I did the dmap took a hell of a while and what is worse, while it is processing those patches there is no output for a long time in the console so it looks like it has maybe crashed.

I doesn't crash, if you leave it for a while (several hours) it finishes (not worth the wait). You can do what I did and reduce the tris by manually setting subdivisions.

EDIT: Also in gensurf you can specify what the geometry is for, left wall, right wall, ceiling or floor, but I suppose you could just flip a ceiling output upside down. Oh make sure you change the "random seed" value or else the geometry will be exactly the same.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gone to converting each patch individually into func_statics and this really cuts down on the compile times.