The Dark Mod Forums

Small Update.. Doors, thief style. and lighting questions

Slash

A small update on my current work/testing. ive started another map. smaller in size but concentrating more on detail and im going to see how its going to turn out. of corse progress is slow but in the long run it might be better for the map. started adding a few entitys in to the map. just for fun. to get the feel. i do get errors when creating a new entity and have to save and restart the editor to add more entitys... a strange error. i am useing D3 edit not radiant. also a few questions for the team members.

One is where i place a flame its a nice lit area but then everything is BLACK. if there is no torch its completly black. can a set a ambiant light to my map to just make the dark corners slightly visable but not lit?

also i use to know how to do this but no longer can i make a door that swings open. and that only opens and closes when you tell it to. i can make a sliding door that opens and then shuts. depending if your near it. id love some help in this area cause my memorie is a little washed on this topic.

but check out a few sneek picks at my second map at early stages.

test1qj5.jpg

test2wp1.jpg

test3xy7.jpg

Ambient light: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/..._Gloom_not_Doom

Doors: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Doors

Just about everything else you ever wanted to know about TDM mapping (note that most pages are DarkRadiant-centric): http://wiki.thedarkmod.com

Enjoy. :) Screens look cool! Only suggestion I have is to maybe decrease the scale of that flagstone texture a little; they look a bit big. You could also try turning off shadowcasting on the torch brackets. Up to you.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Set "noshadows" to 1 on the torch bracket entity to make it not cast shadows.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Looks like some good work there, a nice start to your new map :) I also suggest lowering the street texture to make the stones smaller. And when you get a little ambient light in there the dark areas will look nicer. Good start so far.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I know i havent payed much attention to the textures. just basic textures. its actually just something i started working on earlyer today. but so far i like it. got the ambient light going. expanding detail and size. also working textures now. ill post more pics soon. im also very limited to my entitys and textures. id love to get my hands on some of thos amazing things i see in the screens on the main page. i envy thos pictures.

Edited by Slash

Looks good, one thing you might want to pay attention to is to not place torches under wooden ceilings or beams - fire hazard :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

came across a problem with My work on learning to make doors. adding the handels. i create my door from a brush and apply a texture. now i want to add a working handle. selected your handle entity and follow the directions on the wiki. does not let me conect the two entitys. since i created my door it became and entity. why can i not add a handle.

came across a problem with My work on learning to make doors. adding the handels. i create my door from a brush and apply a texture. now i want to add a working handle. selected your handle entity and follow the directions on the wiki. does not let me conect the two entitys. since i created my door it became and entity. why can i not add a handle.

Hmm, well very recently Greebo changed the door handle adding to be much simpler, but this is in the internal build, and we always update the wiki, so this may be why the wiki is inaccurate for the Thief's Den build.

This is the old process:

1. Create door via brush and make it an atdm:mover_door

2. Setting all the crap on it etc (eg turning angle etc)

3. Create handle via atdm:mover_door_handle

4. Set "bind" "<name of door>" on the handle entity

5. Set "door_handle" "<name of door handle>" on the door entity

Please take care to write the post correctly, as it is difficult to decipher what you are trying to say specifically here:

since i created my door it became and entity

hey slash, those pix look real nice

here are a couple of things:

- the floor texture looks great, but the walls too plastic. my guess - better spec maps?

the floor tiling is also off but i guess u know that. i can help you with any of the above

if textures is not your thing.

- i would also suggest - if that is possible (im clueless about mapping) - to set the color(s) of the torches' light to compliment that in the windows. or visa versa. the palette should be as consistent as possible.

hey slash, those pix look real nice

here are a couple of things:

- the floor texture looks great, but the walls too plastic. my guess - better spec maps?

the floor tiling is also off but i guess u know that. i can help you with any of the above

if textures is not your thing.

Slash was mapping with our Thiefs Den alpha release. A lot of wood textures with too much spec have since been corrected, and since Slash is now a beta mapper, he will have access to those materials. :)