The Dark Mod Forums

Multiple Entity Names the same

First testing of entity and model creation seems OK but I note that cloning skips a number. So create func_static 1 & 2 then clone 2 and it is numbered 4. If I then create a new one it correctly inserts it as 3. This is not such a major problem as duplicated names but think I should add it to bugtracker if you agree.

Now I'll test adding some of my configs one by one.

First testing of entity and model creation seems OK but I note that cloning skips a number. So create func_static 1 & 2 then clone 2 and it is numbered 4. If I then create a new one it correctly inserts it as 3. This is not such a major problem as duplicated names but think I should add it to bugtracker if you agree.

Now I'll test adding some of my configs one by one.

The number skipping is one side-effect of the new namespace algorithm - I don't know if it's possible to prevent the next number being skipped without implementing a few special cases, though. The goal of the algorithm was to keep the numbering of prefabs intact, that's why I had to do it this way.

If it's really annoying, I can look into the algorithm again and maybe revamp it, but I'd vote for leaving it until an actual bug is cropping up.

I can't say it's annoying because first time I've seen it so leave it like this if it fixes the other problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, problem seems related to doom3.game which has my filters in it. Soon as I copied my original over then the duplicate names error returned. Restore the new one and its OK again so I'll just try copying my individual filters over.

This gives me more confidence that the error is isolated and shouldn't return.

OK, problem seems related to doom3.game which has my filters in it. Soon as I copied my original over then the duplicate names error returned. Restore the new one and its OK again so I'll just try copying my individual filters over.

Can I have a look at that doom3.game file? I'm curious what might cause such a misbehaviour.

Ok, that explains a few things. In your doom3.game file there are a few settings missing, like this one:

<nameKey value="name" />

Hence the namespace doesn't recognise any name spawnargs and doesn't increment them.

Generally, it's best not to copy the entire doom3.game file over the default one shipped with a new release.

I can see the need for defining custom filters, that's why I'd suggest adding support for an external "filters.xml" file in the user's settings folder, where users can define their filters without messing with the default settings.

tracked here: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1197

• 7 months later...

Today I had this problem, while trying to play my map it turned out I had a 'multiple entities named func_staticX' error. It might have something to do with creating a func_ static, deleting it and then undo deletion and make a new func_static.

Make a func_static, say func_static_10.

Delete it.

Undo deletion.

Make a new func_static, and it's named func_static_10.

We have a winner. ;) I can confirm that on my end - could you post this on the tracker, it should be possible somehow to fix it. Although Undo/Redo stuff could be tricky, there ought to be a solution for that.

Ok, got the bug, I checked in a fix addressing this issue. We need to make sure that this solution didn't (re-)introduce any other entity naming problems, so I'll be uploading a new pre-release test version soon, for people to test. The namespace is a complex system and I had to change some call orders, which might break other things.

Doing some more mapping today. The same thing also happens when you revert a func_static to worldspawn instead of undoing the convert to func_static.

? I don't understand - what do I need to do?

Thanks for clarifying.

Make a func_static, say func_static_10.

Revert to worldspawn.

Undo revert to worldspawn.

Make a new func_static, and it's named func_static_10.

The fix I checked in should also address this issue - indeed it works fine already in my local SVN version (and it should also work in the pre-release build I posted in the other thread).